“Excellent at everything!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Jefferson Avenue
Transit: People Mover station at Renaissance Center available for connecting with Joe Louis, Cobo Hall, Greektown, etc.
Reviewed August 4, 2016

Will keep it short. It wasn't cheap, but it was one of the best seafood places we've ever been. Party of 4, everyone loved everything from the appetizer to the desert.
Out waitress suggested few off menu items, including main platter salmon and halibut and money roll sushi, all were fantastic. Ambiance was a bit loud and we were seated in a fairly large table, which made talking turn into a bit shouting, but food and everything easily topped that!

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed August 2, 2016

My husband and I were in Detroit for his family reunion. We actually ended up at this restaurant as a last minute decision. There were about twenty five of us. And for this to be a last minute reservation, the management was very accommodating. They were even able to come up with a quick prefixed menu, that contained three options. My husband had the white fish which he loved. I had the salmon, which was also great. The restaurant decor is excellent. It is in a great location, downtown on the water. With the view and food, I would definitely dine here again.

1  Thank Kia J
Reviewed July 30, 2016 via mobile

I think this is probably the most high-end, highest qualit, best service seafood oriented restaurant I've ever been to. There was a problem, a big problem and I will get to that, but I would return without a doubt.

First, there's no such thing as shrimp cocktail on this menu as a pre-arranged item. In other words you pay for and order the shrimp cocktail based on how many shrimp you want. I was shocked to see that each shrimp was $5. So I ordered 4 of them. The menu said they were colossal in size. I have been to Ecuador and shrimp Fisheries areas, I know what a colossal shrimp is. There are three grades and it is very important. These were either U12 or U15. It means it takes Under 12 or under 15 of them to make a pound. But $5 each? On the plus side they were perfectly chilled throughout. They were perfectly cooked meaning they could have been rubbery and overcooked or raw on the inside and undercooked. They were neither. I think where I'm stuck is that it was a little pricey. Their homemade cocktail sauce was good, not amazing, but good. The lemon arrived appropriately netted so it wouldn't spray everywhere. The lettuce on the plate was chilled amongst small ice chips. So it was top drawer. And you get what you pay for.

The next item I enjoyed was the lobster bisque. The presentation was beautifully done. The bowl came with a small amount..about a tablespoon, maybe a heaping tablespoon of shreds of lobster meat formed into a small cylinder like a thimble sitting in the otherwise bare bowl. And then the lobster bisque was poured tableside from a heated pitcher around the lobster meat. It was beautifully presented. This was the best lobster bisque I think I've had in 15 years. Beautifully flavored, perfectly creamy, the texture was great, the lobster flavor was unmistakable. I would return to this restaurant again for this soup alone.

And now to the problem. I ordered swordfish. Instead of a swordfish steak, it came like it had been pounded then rolled into itself, secured with twine and then baked. I can't imagine they actually pounded the fish, but they did roll it and it absolutely destroyed the texture of the fish. It was presented like a log, and I found myself trying to grab chunks of it on the end like digging braunschweiger out of a plastic tube. It came on a bed of some very thin grilled-to-perfection asparagus stalks. They were absolutely delicious. Unfortunately, I simply could not eat this fish. The manager did take it off the bill. I offered to pay for half of it since I ate the asparagus and the little bit of snow crab that came on top of it as well. He wouldn't hear of it and very nicely comped the entire dish.

I was not hungry for dessert tonight, but I did see the dessert tray passing by several times. There was a delicious-looking molten chocolate cake or perhaps it was a chocolate souffle.

You should also know that this place is run by a businessman who takes great pains to control the numbers. If you are a single person, they will not have a table for you except in the first come first serve bar area. Why? Because they have a minimum revenue target for every major meal service drilled down to the per table and per seat revenue level. And an empty seat at a table for two where only one is occupied cuts the revenue potential by at least half. Food revenue from the bar is managed separately, but the main restaurant with a beautiful view is controlled down to every potential chair.

I have no problem sitting in the bar. But the riverview looks lovely, and since this was my first visit to Detroit and this restaurant it could have been a nicer experience. I would have ordered more drinks because you can't beat the piano playing and the view of the river. But both of these were denied me unfortunately because I was dining alone.

If you go to the Open Table app the default number of diners is two. It showed all sorts of options. But when I changed it to only one diner, suddenly no reservations were available until after 9:30.

The restaurant needs to have healthy margins and I'm happy for them to make sure they make a good profit. It just doesn't work out very well if you're dining alone. And I'll be back to Detroit in about 5 months and I'm definitely coming back to this restaurant. And now I know since I will be dining alone, I'll call them a week ahead of time and ask them at what hour do I have to make a reservation so I can have a table in the actual dining room on a Saturday night. This may seem like a small thing, but when you're spending $120 per person on dinner, a good view is important. It's part of the experience.

They had two daily specials where you could add a scallop and/or a shrimp which is kind of interesting, but I would have liked to see a few scallop dishes on the menu. As I recall there was a curry scallop and I was not interested. Curry is too strong a spice as it overpowers a really good sweet scallup.

As a seafood restaurant, this is in my top 5 in the world.

2  Thank FamilyMan1963
Reviewed July 29, 2016 via mobile

This is one of the best restaurants in thd D , great food and very good service. The view of Canada and the river, boats passing by is very unique. If you are in Detroit for business, you must visit this place. Prices are reasonable and valet service available. All seafood dishes are delicious and we'll prepared.

Reviewed July 23, 2016 via mobile

This is my second time eating here and have nothing bad to say at all. This last trip I ate at the bar. The monkfish was absolutely amazing! And the service was superb with attention and friendliness. I would highly recommend this is staying at the Marriott RenCen.