“I expect more from Marriott”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Ohio
“I expect more from Marriott”
Reviewed August 9, 2010

I cannot believe Marriott corporate has not updated this location. Don't be fooled by the lobby, it is lipstick on the pig renovated a few years ago. The rooms have gone untouched. The fitness room is nice and the room service menu is improved (funny note, someone wrote on the room service menu and the staff just put it out again). Still, the furnishings are awful and this particular visit-the questionably clean appearance bothered me to the point I unsuccessfully tried to change rooms. I walked to CVS and bought anti-bacterial wipes (which proved my suspicioun true) and an airfreshner. My guess, the last maid service picked up the dirty towells, changed the sheets, and left in a cloud of air freshner. There was a thick coating of dust on everything. former guest's hair was on the bottom of my socks. I cannot believe I paid $13 for LAN internet in 2010. I'm restricted to Marriott by my employer but I'll stay accross the street at the Courtyard from now on.

One more warning-if you need your car from the valet, call 30 minutes in advance. These folks aren't running anywhere.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (462)
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed June 14, 2010

This hotel was fine for a short trip to Detroit, but certainly not memorable. The room was a bit worn out and the bathroom could use an updating but it served its purpose for me. I found the bed to be comfortable though.

The RenCen conveniently has a People Mover stop which is great if you like to use public transit. However, the service area is very limited so the convenience and usability of it is diminished.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Bay City, Michigan
Reviewed June 14, 2010

My partner and I arrived around 2 pm on Saturday and were quickly checked in, once we were able to manoeuvre our way through the RenCen from the parking garage on the opposite side of the building. We used the Atwater Garage and paid $6 for the night - a deal in my opinion! We booked using the Theatre Package which included breakfast for two. It wasn't explained to us at check-in how that worked or where to go. When we checked back later in the evening, we found out that we were allowed a total of $40 for two people and that we could either dine in the restaurant or order room service. That's a pretty good deal considering that our base room fee without taxes was $129.

Our room was on the 55th floor and we had a spectacular view of the river and bridge. The room was clean and a decent size. My one complaint with the room is that there is no wireless internet available. There was a bit of noise in the hallway from other guests at night, which kept me awake. The bed itself was quite comfortable.

We did have our breakfast delivered to us in the morning and it was on-time and even complied with a couple of special requests that I had. We were charged the full price for the breakfast on our bill, so we had to stop by the front desk to check out to have the price adjusted to reflect the $40 credit.

We also had a couple of drinks in the Volt Lounge which is a nice space. The service there was excellent and not too expensive. We paid about $9 for mixed drinks, which is a bargain compared to the nearly $20 that we often get charged for drinks at hotels in Chicago.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Michigan_Traveller72
US
Reviewed June 12, 2010

Good hotel and very convenient if you have a business to take care within tjhe renaissance center. Couple of good eating options within the renaissance center.

Very nice breakfast and evening snacks option for marriott members with lounge access.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Sam1022
Saint Clair Shores, Michigan
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband and I had a wonderful, romantic night out with our stay at this hotel. The customer service at the hotel proper was very helpful and friendly. The food at 42 Degrees North (restaurant in hotel) was FANTASTIC (though the servers were a bit on the lack-luster side, not very professional for such a nice place). Our room was very comfortable minus the mattress which felt a bit old (dipped in the center). But linens and pillows very comfy! They use "Bath and Bodyworks" bath and shower products in the bathroom - very nice touch. The view from our room was breath-taking! Being close to the Riverwalk and all kinds of downtown fun was great! We can't wait to go back and would recommend it to our friends looking for a date night!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trarick
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 12, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott at Renaissance Center as part of a 4-day conference. Being a solo female traveler, I felt a little uneasy in the circular hallway leading to my room. You can't see more than 15 feet in front of you or behind you because of the constant curve of the walls. It seems like it would be easy to be surprised by someone and at the same time difficult to get help from others. The only other thing I noticed as I walked down the hallway was some sort of loud hum that grew to a roar by the time I reached my room. Right across the hallway was what must have been the loudest (and oldest) ice machine on earth. (Later that night I woke up and thought a freight train was going by before realizing it was the ice machine's motor kicking on. Seriously.) My room was quite small and very shabby--the cushion on the chair (which was awkwardly stuffed between one of the beds and the wall) was almost flat and looked dingy. The bathroom had nice granite countertops, but the room was so small that you had to back into a corner to shut the door and access the shower. The towels were grayish. And my shower curtain had what I really hope was shampoo splattered on it.

Now for the good: Beautiful view of the river, bridge, and Canada from the room and throughout the hotel. Lots of convenient restaurants and entertainment right in the Ren Center. Friendly staff. Clean rooms (other than that shower curtain).

One final note: On my last night, my key card stopped working. I called from the hallway of my floor, and the front desk was very prompt in sending someone up to help me get into my room. The man who helped me was very nice, but after I thanked him for his help he said, "Ma'am, when you shut the door, be sure to use your deadbolt AND privacy lock, OK?" I found the statement a little unsettling. Was it because they've had problems with people trying to break into rooms? Did it have something to do with my key card? Was it just a note of caution for a woman staying alone? Once again, I wished the hallways weren't circular and that the stupid ice machine in the hallway wasn't loud enough to drown out a commotion.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank YHBB
Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I travel a lot, and in fact work in the hotel industry, and am always happy with the cleanliness and service at the hotel. The bar does seem to be understaffed on a regular basis, as well as overpriced... but the hummus is delicious. On our last stay there were not enough towels in our room, so we requested extra, but it did take an hour for them to arrive... but when they did the housekeeper was smiling. Finding smiling housekeepers and keeping them happy is not an easy task, so keep up the great job. This Marriott provided everything I'd expect from the brand and more. Valet parking is a bit pricey, so we parked at a different parking garage to save money.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple