“Good Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Marquette, Michigan
“Good Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

I had stayed at this property on a lower floor in early 2013 for a conference, and this was a return visit for pleasure where we were taking in a Tiger game. The hotel has a 'Grand Slam' baseball package, which provides room, valet parking, breakfast for 2 adults (and up to 2 children) along with $20 in 'Comerica $' which is about $90 worth of 'extras'. With the People Mover attached, and a station at Grand Circus Park, getting to the game was a snap. I had requested a higher level room and we were on the 55th floor with a nice view of the river, Cobo Hall and the tunnel to Canada was right below us. We overly enjoyed Volt, and ran into some fellow Yoopers - small world. This room appeared to have been updated recently, the bed was great, the bathroom was also well appointed, good water pressure, nice amenities. The only issue we had was the room was close to the elevator and we could hear everything in the hallway. Unfortunately, we had a wedding party on the floor who were loud. Our game was the next day, and we were able to store our luggage and the valet parking did not cost extra. Breakfast was awesome. I think that one thing that could have been a little better was check-in, as there was quite a line and somebody took a break which didn't help things move quicker. Otherwise, all the staff we met were all friendly. I think for some folks, the sheer size of the facility will be hard for people to take and navigate. But we are already planning our next game trip and will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
1 Thank Dave A
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Hello and thank you for the wonderful four star review! We appreciate you taking the time to post and of course for visiting. We're thrilled to hear that you'll be back for your next game and until then, GO TIGERS!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night for our anniversary to see the Tigers play at cosmetics park.

First the good: the room was brand new, bed was comfortable. The location to things in town was good, the people mover picked up right at the hotel.

The Bad: the room was tiny, there was hair on the shower and floor, the toilet paper roll holder was broken, the front desk staff was very unfriendly. We were not from the area (hence the term "traveling") and when we asked the front desk how to get somewhere, she gave us a rushed answer in a tone suggesting we should already know what she's talking about. It was EXTREMELY over priced. Not ant better than any $89.99 place I have ever stayed.

It was okay but would NOT splurge on something so average.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J4nelson
Hello and thank you for visiting. We're terribly sorry for any and all issues you experienced while staying with us. We have passed all of your comments and feedback to our hotel manager for his review. We are very sorry for the housekeeping issues and appreciate you bringing these to our attention. Once again, we do thank you, and we hope to see you again soon.

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Maple Heights, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a family reunion. Hotel was nice but for the money u pay it could have been nicer. parking was very expensive. 20.00 a day and no in/out privileges really. Valet was 25.00 a day. So I pay to park and then have to give doorman a tip to bring my luggage to my room. Did not like the fact that I could not handle my own luggage with all the theft out here. Food court closed early you would think they would stay open later on weekends due to large crowds for events. My son is a gamer and was unable to connect game to TV. engineer came and said he need some type of connector which was not true he does not have this so called connector at home. pillows were horrible and bed was small. called for clean towels and it was three of us and he brings two wash cloths and two towels. we never have our room cleaned cause of theft but never saw housekeeping the two nights I was there and we were awake early each day. we did not even have a clock in our room. front desk staff were nice and polite. no pool. I can go on and on but if it was not for family reunion I would have stayed else where. Expected more for appearance of hotel.

Stayed August 2014
Hello Rayshawn and thank you so much for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team here in Detroit, we're sincerely sorry for any and all disappointments while visiting. Please know that we have passed all comments to our hotel manager for her review. We hope that you enjoyed your reunion and we hope to see you again on your next visit. Thank you again for all your feedback.
Ann Arbor, Mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 4 nights and had up and down experience. The 'up' : uniformly friendly staff, great views, plenty of elevators ( can only be appreciated after staying in a huge hotel with few elevators), the scannable valet tickets.
The 'down': rooms are worn, mattress had that sleep in a taco shell feeling, restroom fan didn't work at all, housekeeping didn't see it necessary to make up roll away bed- but took the $5 tip we left...towels threadbare, concierge lounge was in a temp location due to renovations - Ok- but food selection was below typical Marriott standards.
Signs for renovations are all over the place....shoulda happened 5 years ago

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hello Axel and thank you not only for staying with us, but for taking the time to post your review. We definitely apologize for your disappointments, particular the housekeeping issues you noted. We recognize that it's time for an update and thus our $30M renovation. We hope that you will in fact visit again post renovation and experience our new design. Once again, we do apologize and hope to see you again soon.
Portage, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Thanks You for hosting the Jehovah's Witnesses International Convention well over 30,000 in attentance. I was impressed with how well the hotel handled the needs of so many. I felt like I was the only guest when I had questions, called for towels and a sewing kit when the buttons fell off my blouse. The food court located at ground level offered a variety of foods and there were also 5* restaurants available. CVS located on level 2 came to my rescue with a variety of snacks and toiletries and a much needed Energy Drink. Valet went above and beyond we were always greeted with smiles by all staff, doormen bellman cleaning staff (Top notch) all needs met, room on 59th floor with floor to ceiling windows & breath taking views, beds were beyond comfortable. Thanks does not seem to express how truly impressed I was/am with this property!

• Stayed July 2014
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thank you for visiting! We're happy to hear everything was to your liking and we also hope that your entire conference was a huge success. Thanks again and safe travels!
Toledo, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

I haven't stayed here for a few years so I was eager to try it while in Detroit -- not least because its location makes exploring the world-class riverfront perfect on a nice summer day.

Unfortunately, this Marriott failed to live up to the expectations of the brand and my experiences as an elite-level guest who has stayed over 200 nights in a hotel in the past year and a half.

A few positives: As I said, the location is superb. It's a little further away from the growing entertainment district where the sports stadiums are located, but otherwise it's perfect for those doing business downtown or just looking for a place to stay while on a visit to Detroit. The Renaissance Center is also convenient because there are a handful of shops, a couple of restaurants and a fast-food food court. Be warned, however, that most of the Renaissance Center shops and restaurants are closed or have extremely limited hours on the weekend. By the way, this makes no sense whatsoever, especially when there's a huge convention staying at the hotel. You would think Starbucks would stay open on the weekend for all the convention attendees to say nothing of the thousands of others coming in from the riverfront looking for someplace quick to get coffee or eat. As for hotel amenities, this is a fairly standard Marriott.

As for what I didn't like:
-- I also understand substantial renovations are underway to the hotel. I didn't really notice anything except for the concierge lounge, which is closed and temporarily relocated to a large (and quite ugly!) suite on the 70th floor. The temporary concierge lounge, while spacious, is one of the worst I have ever used. The beverage choices are the standard, but the food was very limited, especially for breakfast. I also found the attendants to be unattentive, unwelcoming and otherwise indifferent. I actually had to call down to the front desk for the concierge lounge to be cleaned during breakfast service. Also, as this is a convention hotel, expect people to raid the concierge lounge and bring out food and drinks to other guests. I saw multiple guests bring out multiple cans of pop, plates full of food and multiple containers of yogurt. None of this was restocked, either.
-- The parking is valet, unless you want self-parking with no in/out privileges.
-- The health club on the 40th floor is fairly big, but it's missing a pool and sauna. I stayed here a few years ago and I remember a sauna. I'm not sure what happened to it.
-- The rooms are standard Marriott decor, although this is changing because of the renovations. I was given an old-style room with a king bed on a low floor -- and only after I complained because my reservation was guaranteed to be a king bed but they tried giving me a double when I checked in.
-- Service is below standard. While there was a bellman, I literally only saw one bellman when I arrived. He was way too overworked. I had to wait in the elite line several minutes upon arrival because front desk clerks were chatting amongst themselves rather than helping guests.

Unless you have to stay here, I wouldn't.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank planetraincar
Hello and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Detroit. On behalf of our entire team, we're truly sorry for any and all issues you may have experienced while visiting. We do hope that you'll choose to return after our current renovation. We're confident you'll enjoy our new design. Thank you once again.
Keyser
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Were in town for an automotive trade show. Hotel was on the list associated with the conference. Wouldn't guarantee king bed. Upon check in and asking for a king was told there were none available. The beds looked like twin beds. My husband & I couldn't even sleep in the same bed they were so small! The staff were polite and we didn't experience any problems. The room was nice & clean. The Ren Center is large and confusing. Disappointed in the stores and restaurants there. Most were closed. The only place to eat in the hotel is Volt. In the evenings it was the only place open. Volt is a noisy bar; not a place to have coffee & dessert.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Hello Kim and thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Detroit. We're very sorry to hear that you were dispapointed with your stay. Please know that while we work diligently to offer guests their requested room types, unfortunately we can never make those guarantees. We definitely do not offer twin beds in any of our guest rooms, however we do apologize that you were not able to get a king. We've passed all of your feedback to our general manager for her review. Once again, we do thank you and we hope that you will in fact stay with us again.