“Good stay, comfortable bed”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
New York, NY
“Good stay, comfortable bed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

My room was nicely renovated with a good view of the river. The bed was adequately firm and comfortable. Better than most Marriott properties. The club is spacious and perfect for a quick breakfast on the go. Easy check-in and check-out. I'd stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Greetings from Detroit! Thank you for visiting and for your wonderful four star review. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again on your next visit to Detroit!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Korean first
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

My experience started off kinda rough, but ended on a brighter note. Upon check-in I was greeted by the friendly FD staff. I proceeded with the normal check-in procedure by handing the FD Agent my credit card for incidentals, ONLY b/c I would be paying w/ cash. She proceeded to authorizing my CC for the total stay & incidentals, after I'd stepped out of line & gotten cash from the ATM. I tried to dispute the authorization, but it had already gone through. The FD MGR came out & smoothed things over w/ complimentary wifi & comped breakfast to the restaurant. He was very understanding & gracious w/ making sure my stay was enjoyable. The rooms were nice and clean, although the decor could stand to be updated the beds were comfy! Housekeeping was great, very helpful & friendly. The gentlemen at the restaurant VOLT (during breakfast) were really cool & welcoming! We dined there for the breakfast.. it was a $22 buffet & had everything you could think of on it. Upon checkout, valet is slow so be sure to call ahead of time. There's a parking garage beside the hotel that charges $20, valet is here is $25...but that's almost everywhere downtown. Wifi is not complimentary :/ being that this hotel is used a lot for business, you would think that it would be. The location is great in the midst of Downtown, so just about anywhere is easily accesible. I stayed on a higher floor & had a really nice view of the river. All in all, it was an enjoyable stay & I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hello RR and thank you for visiting and for taking the time to post. On behalf of our entire team, we apologize for the problems you experienced upon checkin. We're happy to hear that everything was resolved and that the rest of your stay enjoyable. We've passed your compliments on breakfast along to our chef; thank you for making note of that experience. Once again, thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again on your next trip north.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Cons:
- The daily maid service didn't include making up the bed which seemed weird.
- There was only one bar of soap for both the bathroom sink and the shower, not the biggest deal but still a little weird.
- My room was directly across from the ice machine which was incredibly noisy.
- One of the maintenance people knocked on my room door and entered before I could even get to the door to answer it - I'm glad I was dressed!

Pros:
- All of the staff was incredibly nice (including the person who let me back into my room when I accidentally locked myself out.. in my pajamas).
- The views and convenience to the convention center were a plus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the ice machine
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Kenley. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate you staying with us and we definitely also value your feedback. Regarding your experiences with housekeeping, daily service most definitely does include your bed and linens. If this did not happen, we would definitely like to hear details of the experience. Should you have the time, please email our hotel manager directly at detroitmarriott@marriott.com. We definitely hope to hear from you. Once again, we appreciate all of your feedback and hope that you will in fact visit again in the future.
Faridabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I stayed for a conference at the same hotel so it was very convenient. Enjoyed my stay for four days at this hotel in downtown Detroit, I realize that this is the best part of Detroit to be in. The rooms were spacious, quite comfortable to be in, and I loved taking river views at different times of the day. The housekeeping and the service was efficient. I had a good time at this hotel, although I think the room tariff is bit on the higher side even for a conference arrangement.

Room Tip: Take a room that gives you good view of the river and the bridge side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hello and thank you for the wonderful four star review. We appreciate you staying with us and hope that you'll return again soon. Safe travels!
Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and really enjoyed it. Arrived on a Tuesday, left on a Saturday, and really did not need to leave the building for anything. Restaurants in the RenCen were good and there was something for everyone, and every budget. Hotel rooms were clean and very comfortable; I specifically requested a river-view and it was nice (I was on one of the higher floors). My room was up-to-date although I understand from others that not all were updated yet. Conference rooms were comfortable and once I got the hang of where things were, not as confusing as first thought. Staff were friendly and efficient, but I did not have much interaction with them. If I were to return to Detroit, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a river-view on a high floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Jibster and thank you for the stellar review. We're glad to hear that all went well on your visit. Many guests such as yourself report that same on wayfinding within the hotel - difficult at first, but once you're familiar, all is well. We're glad you were able to find your way and enjoy the Gm Renaissance Center and all that it has to offer.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Arriving late at a hotel is never easy, but this experience was beyond awful. When I arrived at 1 am there were people sitting in the lobby waiting for rooms to be cleaned. I was told it would take 30-45 minutes to get a room. Two hours later, after being forgotten about for 45 min, I got a room. Upon arrive to my room, I found an odd, loud machine in my room. I should have just unplugged it and gone to sleep. But I didn't, I called and waited an additional 20 minutes for maintenance to come retrieve their smell reduction machine. It didn't reduce the smokey smell...
Upon waking to loud banging after 4 hours of sleep, I thought it would be nice to have room service for breakfast. I didn't have a menu but I called and ordered anyway. Several minutes later, I got a call from the room service department asking for my credit card information. Luckily I had read the many warnings (in my delightful wait time in the hotel lobby) about not giving your credit card over the phone and that hotel staff would NEVER call and ask for your credit card information. I didn't give my info, but was concerned about the whole thing.
Later that day I asked at the hotel front desk about the smokey smell and the odd credit card call. They didn't care. At all. But they did have my credit card info.
The view from my room was lovely and the location was great as I was at a conference in the building. Lots of food options.
If you go be careful.

Room Tip: Higher floors are the best!
1 Thank Beth G
Ami W, Guest Relations Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hello Beth and thank you very much not only for visiting, but also for taking the time to post. We are aware of particular housekeeping issues which occurred due to the IUG event last week and we sincerely apologize to you for the inconvenience you experienced. Our general manager would very much like the opportunity to speak with you about your stay and should you please the time, we would appreciate you emailing her directly at detroitmarriott@marriott.com. We are very, very sorry for the issues at check-in and we are also distressed about the call you received. We sincerely would appreciate additional information. Once again, we thank you. And we truly apologize.

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

Found a dead roach in my bed. Manager handled the situation well, but still unacceptable. Internet access was costly and very slow. My room was right across from the ice maker and quite noisy. Location is good with easy access to the People Mover and Comerica Park, but I wouldn't stay here again due to cleanliness/roach infestation issues.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Hello Brian and thank you for posting. We appreciate you staying with us and would very much like additional information on your experience. Our executive team has searched all records for the past week and unfortunately we do not have record of any such complaint from any guest. We would love the opportunity to speak with you about this and hopefully address the situation properly. Should you have the time, please email detroitmarriott@marriott.com so that our hotel manager may contact you back. Once again, thank you for visiting and we definitely hope to hear from you soon.