“Great Location”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Great hotel location, only a couple of blocks away from Ford Field and right on the Windsor tunnel for easy access to Canada should that be in the travel plans. Good river views and some great restaurants inside the hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,665)

Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed as a girl's getaway and originally booked a city view room. What a surprise to be upgraded to the 64th floor overlooking the river!
Room was nice, however, I expected at least a mini fridge in the room as well as a fan in the bathroom.
Beds were super comfy :)
Otherwise, everyone we encountered were very helpful and friendly. Also, very close to the people mover!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This was my second stay at this hotel. I had a riverfront view on the 54th floor. The high speed elevators were very impressive--they whisked us quickly back and forth from our room to the 4th floor, where our large conference meetings were held. Never had to wait more than a minute or two for elevator service. Our room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. However, the bathroom was really cramped. Also, I had requested that extra pillows and towels be provided -- they were not. Not only that, but the dirty towels (left on the floor) were not replaced when the room was cleaned the next day. Finally, a word about the increasingly high ($15.99 per day!) fee for "High Speed" Internet. I deeply resent this surcharge. We live in a world where being without Internet service close at hand, particularly for business travelers, is unacceptable. Many, many hotels include this amenity in their rates. I detest having this fee tacked on to my nightly rates, as Marriott chooses to do. In my way of thinking, the more high-end the hotel, the more amenities should be included in the room rate, not padded on to inflate the bill. Given a choice, I would not stay here again!

Room Tip: Be wary of rooms directly facing the river and Canada -- you may pick up a Canadian cell tower and h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank paulahall
joel_fuller, Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Thank you for providing the hotel valuable feedback about your stay- We certainly apologize for the request to your room not being completed. We do work very hard to make sure all guests request are handled effeciently and promptly. The cost of internet is great feeback in which we continue to evualate among our competition.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

First off, a shout out to some of the wonderful people who work here: Arlisa in the fitness center is helpful and lovely, Angela and a few others at the front desk were helpful and the servers in Volt were great. Good fitness center, as well.

Otherwise, I was very disappointed in this hotel. Gigantic, a little dusty and spooky at night. Overly quiet in the rooms, with no fan in the bathroom. The office center charges you outrageously, and I was charged for a phone call to the hotel's own shoe polishing service. Just little disrespectful nickle and dime things like that.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Growing up in the city through the mid-80s before heading away for college I used to visit the RenCen to go to the movies, hang out with friends, and do a little shopping. This was my first time staying at the hotel while in town for a high school reunion but I'd certainly stay here again. Our room on the 53rd floor had a great view of the Detroit Riverfront. The room was clean and well maintained. The staff was professional and accommodating. Within the center you still have access to a movie theater, CVS, Starbucks, and other shops.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 13, 2013

This was our 3rd stay at the Ren Cen and it was not necessarily our favorite. Check In was quick and efficient. The special room keys and "Do Not Disturb" signs in honor of the Detroit Marathon were a nice touch (we had booked the marathon rate and were running that weekend). We were given a city view room for the first time and it was awesome! I loved looking out and finding all the landmarks (Comerica, Ford Field, etc.) and other city sites.

We requested extra towels in our Marriott profile, on the completed online concierge survey, and when we checked in and we never received them. For a King room we were only given 2 towels. I probably could have called but I didn't feel like wasting the time.

Room service breakfast was delicious as usual.

It was a nice stay but there were just a few things that were "eh". The room, while clean, was showing a bit of wear and tear and there was poor wireless signal (good luck getting any!). WiFi was a charge per day. We are Marriott Silver Elite members which usually entitles us free WiFi. Not at the Ren Cen, you have to be Gold members. I was a bit confused by the higher standards in Detroit of all places!! It's not exactly over flowing with tourists. :)

I'm sure we'll stay here again but we'll be willing to try something else next time. If/when we come back we're definitely requesting the city view.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor with city views to see a beautiful view of the city of Detroit.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

For me the ren is convenient for work. I've stayed at the Greektown, the Doubletree, the Courtyard and the Hilton Garden and found the Ren to be the most consistent. The rooms are average with a need for a refurb which is occurring in early 2014. They need more plugs mainly and the decor is a bit dated. Nothing can beat the view and as another reviewer mentioned the city view is better but it is hard to go wrong when you are 60+ stories in the air. The food at the Volt is average at best but their are good dining options such as Joe Muers that are worth the stop. Staff is pleasant enough and helps when asked.

The Ren Center itself as many have mentioned a giant rat maze and I think I finally can get around 6 months later, it seriously took me that long and I pride myself on directions.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business