I stayed here on the night of my brother's wedding (the actual event was at a different location) with the rest of the wedding party. I had always wanted to stay here because I had heard so much about the beautiful panoramic views. Unfortunately, my stay was underwhelming.
We arrived at about 1:30 a.m. on a Saturday night and the place was pretty busy - lots of people in the lobby and at the check-in desk. Check-in was not a problem. Our room was on the 45th floor. The hallways leading to our room were kind of shoddy and had hideous carpeting.
Our room left much to be desired - it was drab, plain, and just struck me as unwelcoming. The king bed was all right, but not the best. The bathroom was way too small and did not have a fan. However, the nighttime view of the Detroit skyline and Windsor (Canada) across the river were unparalleled - as good as expected. It was just as beautiful in the morning when the sun was out. This somewhat compensated for the disappointing decor.
We only stayed here for a quick overnight stay. Check out the following morning was uneventful and the employee at the check-out desk was very pleasant. The common areas of the hotel are nicer and more impressive than the individual rooms. Parking was quite expensive (I think $25, but I don't remember for sure because the bride and groom covered parking for their guests), which is expensive. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel, but my brother later told me that the breakfast at Volt was not very good on top of being expensive.
My final comment on this hotel: the Renaissance Center is the cornerstone of the Detroit skyline. It is one of the city's most revered buildings, in a fantastic, scenic, and convenient location. The Marriott really needs to take better advantage of its awesome, privileged location and make this hotel more impressive. It's not horrible or anything, just needs an update. Coupled with the fantastic views, a beautiful hotel in this location could be the gem of Downtown Detroit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soaring 73 floors above the Detroit River, the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is ideally located in downtown Detroit, situated on the RiverWalk and next to Hart Plaza. The hotel is within the GM Renaissance Center, which provides convenient access to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The Detroit "People Mover" public transportation system enables guests to visit top attractions that surround the hotel. Floor-to-ceiling windows and dramatic views highlight our hotel rooms, while a reinvented lobby boasts functional seating and business friendly amenities in a trendy setting. Delight in the stylishly urban ambiance of Volt, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Marriott, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Agoda, Hotel.de, Reservation Counter, HRS and Despegar.com so you can book your Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Detroit Marriott At The Renaissance Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Renaissance At Center
- Marriott Detroit
- Renaissance Detroit