Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
The Atheneum(Detroit)
  • Breakfast included
1,716 results
All reviewsfood courtvolt barpeople moverren cencoach insigniathe concierge loungecvs pharmacyhigh riseview of the rivergeneral motorsacross the rivergm headquartershigh floorjazz festivallarge hotelfloor to ceiling windowslobby bar
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We spent 2 nights here over the Labor Day weekend. This is one of my favorite hotels and we have stayed here many times. There are never any surprises with the rooms, and by this I mean they are always exceptional. The staff is great, and if there is a problem they respond immediately. We realized one evening that there were no wash cloths left in the bathroom. I called the desk and I think it was less than 10 minutes before they were delivered. The hotel gives easy access to anyplace you may want to go because it has a people mover station on the property. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Detroit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Visiting Detroit to see the sights, friends and I stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Center. When we arrived we were informed that there were 8 weddings happening in the hotel that weekend. As it turned out you couldn't swing a dead cat in this joint without hitting a bride's maid, bachelorette gaggle, or other wedding shenanigans. It seemed rather sweet, although why anyone would get married at such a cheerless location is a mystery to me. The architecture is pure 1970s brutalism. Inside, it looks like the pavilion at one of the 1970s financially failed world's fairs, sweeping concrete walkways and weird cantilevered pods holding fake ficus trees. The staff was warm and attentive, and the place was quite lively. It took forever to get the car from the Valet, but the hotel is enormous. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, God bless them, so I was able to get a decent coffee first thing. I took a run on the River walk which was very scenic and pretty. My room was quiet and comfortable with a view of the River. The decor was standard Marriott business hotel bland, but surprisingly, everything was in very good shape and immaculate. Although no feast for the eye, it was quite comfortable with an attentive and friendly staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Located on the river across from Windsor, Canada, the hotel and entire property was beautiful with views to Canada, the Ambassador Bridge and many other notable properties. Views from the rooms were breathtaking and the staff helpful. Night views from the terrance and dining room at 42 Degrees North were spectacular. Easy to get to other Detroit attractions and venues by foot or People Mover. Enjoyed our visit, felt safe and had a very nice visit to Detroit. Proves that if you plan well and use good judgment Detroit can be a great, affordable destination.

Room Tip: Request an upper-floor room with a view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jayhawk17
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Front Desk staff was very helpful and friendly! A+ for them. Rooms, however, are dated and lack amenities that most Marriott's have. Paid quite a bit to upgrade to a suite. 1.5 baths, but furniture was dated and worn out. No fridge, had to call for a small fridge, took an hour to get it. Nicer places to stay for much less in the D!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
joel_fuller, Manager at Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your recent stay. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and wanted you to know the hotel will be going through a rooms and space renovation beginning in February 2014.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The Marriott at the Renaissance Center has a captive audience of business and special event users who are treated to great service, wonderful Marriott linens, and an awesome view as far as the eye can see.

The captive user will not mind paying extra for every amenity offered by the hotel. The tourist visiting the Jazz Festival or in town to see a game might be more sensitive to the added fees that I believe are a staple of most major hotels in the nations largest cities.

I stayed at the Marriott Renaissance Center for just one night as I found comparable lodging just across the sky bridge in the same brand family for about 40% less. That price included parking and breakfast which were extra at Marriott. The view from the Renaissance Center however is not to be matched by any property on the US side of the US / Canadian border.

I did visit the Volt Lounge adjacent to the check in counter, and found the service to be lacking. When the Jazz Festival after hours jam was there I expected servers to be overwhelmed. Most servers working the jam session seemed to do a better job with a more pleasant disposition than the servers working the afternoon shift.

Like other reviews on this site claim I think the Marriott is difficult to get to and navigate. I have been in and around the Renaissance Center for three years during the Jazz Fest Labor Day weekend, and I still found it took a lot of patience to get to the parking garage and the hotel front desk.

The only major complaint I have is I was booked into the Concierge Level and charged accordingly. Unfortunately, the Concierge Lounge which seems to be the only benefit of the Concierge Level closes at noon Friday and does not reopen until 5 PM Sunday. Perhaps this property is designed to cater to the week day business traveler.

I also have had people rave to me about the food court in the lower lever of the center. It did look a little more impressive than your typical mall food court. Unfortunately, during the week-end most of the food vendors are closed.

If I had a trip to downtown Detroit during the week I would definitely consider staying here again. The price was on the high side of fair, but the rooms, service, and view are unbeatable.

Room Tip: Get in the High Rise if you can. Magnificent view!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo