“Great Location”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
pittsburgh
“Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

The Marriott Renaissance is a big complex, you come off the street on one floor check in on another then on from there. The parking is valet or the self parking is across the street at the garage for $20 a day. The garage doesn't have in and out privileges but the people mover has a stop in the building and local of the hotel can make the garage a better choice. Checking in is easy with plenty of friendly staff. After check out the walk to the rooms can be a pain sometimes with everyone trying to jam in the narrow hallway for the elevators. Once to your floor walking through the circular halls is something different and provides nice views of the river and Canada or the city depending on type of room you get. The rooms are clean and spacious with floor to ceiling windows. My only complaint about the room is house keeping. I put a don't disturb sign on the door because I left my cameras out. When I returned the sign was removed and the room was entered. That was my only grip with this property. Outside the hotel it's within walking distance of Greektown and the stadiums, or jump on the people mover that stops at the hotel. The riverwalk provides a enjoyable walk or just sit and people watch. I've stayed at other properties in Detroit but the this one is my favorite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Korean first
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Enjoyed our stay here, despite the craziness that comes when Kenny Chesney is playing at Ford Field the same day you are trying to see a Tigers game. There were about 187 million people in the check-in lobby, but thankfully, the hotel has 188 million rooms so it wasn't even full. We could hear people in their rooms while walking in the hallway, but no noise complaints from the room.

Room was fine, pretty standard, nothing fancy. Could be more updated, but not an issue for one night. The staff was really friendly, especially the security and maintenance crew.

Two small complaints: 1) the hair dryer had so little power that my shoulder length bob took forever to dry. If you have long hair, I suggest you bring your own (even my fold up travel dryer would've kicked this one's butt); 2) the lotion smelled horrible (orange ginger). Yuck. Didn't use the shampoo or conditioner (bring my own), but my kids did and they smelled fine.

One large word of warning: If you get lost on the way back from Comerica (as we did), it is TOTALLY SKETCHY in the areas away from the hotels. We were told to "follow the crowd" back to the hotel areas, but suddenly found ourselves alone after the huge crowd we were following headed into a parking garage. I was literally panicking with my twin 7-year-olds and 78-year-old dad, who were oblivious. We found our way back, but it was scary.

Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Very well located at the heart of the Motor City in the most iconic building, the RenCen, the Marriott is very convenient when you are doing business in DTW. Rooms are spacious and confortable, with a great view to Windsor or the city. The RenCen is a large business complex with great restaurants (some of the best in town like Joe Muer's and Coach Insignia) and stores (there is a very convenient CVS at the building).

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the upper floors with a view to the river.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

I recently spent 2 nights at the Detroit Marriott Renaissance Center with my family. We had a great view of the river from our room, although the kids might have wanted to be facing the city & Comerica Park. This hotel is easy to get to and has easy self-parking. We however used the valet which is convenient. Navigating around the inner walkways of the Renaissance Center, with all its walkways, escalators & levels was a little difficult, but the kids found it to be an adventure. The Starbucks was very easy to find! A great location for us to hop on the People Mover to get to Comerica Park for a game and easy to then get to Dearborn the next day to get to The Henry Ford. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, so I can't comment on that. The accommodations in the room were nice but nothing special. Not having a pool was a bit of a bummer, but the kids were busy with other things.

Westland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The Marriott at the Rencen was an awesome place to stay. The valet was a really nice amenity and we were able to check in pretty quickly. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly while checking in. Our room was on the 20th floor in the low rise tower. We booked a standard room and I thought it was a fairly nice sized room. The view was spectacular looking out over the Detroit river towards Canada. We had plenty of room to move around and the bed was very comfortable with plenty of pillows. We used room service to order a pizza and it was simple and quick. They stay open till 1am on the weekends. My one complaint is they do not offer complementary Wi-Fi and it is $12.95 per day for basic internet. The Marriott is located within the Rencen which offers cool because there is a nice bar located near the front desk and the people mover located on the second floor so you can get around the city easier. I really enjoyed staying here and would definltely come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have been to Detroit before but never overnight in the area. Overall, this hotel was in a very good location for local activities but is in need of a makeover. I was here for 5 nights for the Jr Olympics event at the Cobo Center. The rooms are small and with only the most basic of amenities. If you are not very particular about your room the benefits of staying at the Ren Center include easy access to the food court, CVS ( with reasonable prices) and access to the People Mover. I'm not sure if I would stay here again. The parking is not included and cost $ 25 daily and the wi- fi cost an additional $12.50 daily for an already expensive room. If you are parking at the Ren Center it is best to use the valet service (drive is around the back on the river side of the buildings) because the price is the same as self- park but you have unlimited in/ outs. I found the valet staff to be great. My son needed to see a chiropractor while we were there but the office ( attached to the Ren Cen) was not answering. The concierge went above and beyond in getting us an appointment! I also requested a room with a good view of either the city or river. Our room was directly across from offices so close we joked about being able to read some of the computer monitors. The water view was to each side of the offices. I used the People Mover several times a day and never felt uncomfortable ( always in before 11 pm ). The train cars come roughly every 5 mins and just loop continuously around about a dozen stops. I found the local people to be very friendly and the staff seemed service oriented and happy to help. The Red Smoke Barbeque Restaurant across from the Greektown Casino was very good. On the same block other food options include local and small chain such as Five Guys and Coldstone.

Room Tip: Call ahead to request your preference in a room and hope for the best. I would ask for a quiet room...
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed on the 61st floor of the Marriot last weekend. This was not our first stay and despite my negative comments we will return when in the Detroit area. We had two rooms. Our room was dated, but comfortable enough. The rooms are large. Our son's room had completely different furniture and a nice (but small) updated bathroom. It was odd - no closet. They had a portable rack to hang their clothes on. There was a bar with a mini-fridge and a microwave, but there was a power strip hanging from the bar. Very strange. Another oddity - no glass glasses, just cheesy paper cups!! Hopefully they are in the middle of renovating this hotel and when we go back all of the problems will have disappeared. Great views!!

Room Tip: High floor.