Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
  • Restaurant
$179
$160
1,741 results
All reviewsfood courtvolt barpeople moverren cencoach insigniathe concierge loungecvs pharmacyhigh riseview of the rivergeneral motorsacross the rivergm headquartershigh floorjazz festivallarge hotelfloor to ceiling windowslobby bar
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The rooms have big windows looking out on awesome views of the river and the city. There are multiple dining options to suit any taste in both the Renaissance and connected Milender Centers. Convenient access to the people mover puts all of downtown Detroit within riding and walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you're working downtown this is great hotel. There are at least 3 excellent restaurants in the building - GM's World Headquarters. The gym is big and well maintained with views over the river. The lobby and entry areas are sort of out of the way, and the building itself is relatively confusing ...

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 15, 2013

My family stayed here to watch the Target/Ford fireworks this year. I made a few requests before arriving and they were very gracious about fulfilling them. We had a partial view of the fireworks from our room, but we watched the fireworks from their lawn outside of the restaurants. It was a wonderful experience to have with my 3 year old, so I'll probably do it again just for his enjoyment.

Overall - it was a decent stay for our purpose. However, I would not stay here for business. There are a few reasons why I wouldn't.

First, the air conditioning in our room seemed to be barely functioning as we set it at 69 and the room temperature never went below 75. I didn't make a complaint about it because the hotel was so full, and I figured that it would work itself out later during the night - and it didn't.

Second, it's definitely time for a renovation. The lobby looks good, but the rooms are very old and the bed we had was so bad and lumpy that it felt like it was original to the room. I saw a sign saying that they would be renovating soon, so hopefully that will help to improve my first two issues.

Lastly, this probably has nothing to do with the hotel itself, but whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE VALET!!! We called down to get our car retrieved about 15 minutes before we checked out because I had heard that the valet was slow. We arrived at the valet stand/area about 20 minutes after calling down and our car had not been retrieved yet. (Not so bad, but no one had even left to go get the car). We waited for over an hour in total to get our car. Some people waited even longer. The valet seemed to be for the whole building complex, so I don't think they could blame it on high occupancy especially since it was only 7am, they just seemed to have more people standing around than actually going to get cars. Hopefully, that has been fixed, but I'm not optimistic.

So if you need to stay in downtown Detroit, this is an okay/average place, but there are a few alternatives within walking distance that might fare a little better.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Nice hotel, good location and Marriot standard as always.
Pros: Perfect location for all major attractions in Downtown Detroit.Clean rooms, the staff is very nice and helpful. Nice view of river if you get a good room.
Cons: The rooms could use some renovation. Rooms are small, bathrooms are also small. Nothing special, just standard rooms.
Will definitely stay again if I get a chance.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room with river view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed one night for a wedding in Grosse Pointe - the bride and groom reserved a block of rooms, which were all on the same floor. Check in went swiftly and we loved our room. The mattress on the bed is out of this world and there are enough cushy pillows to please anyone.

Room Tip: Go for the riverside view rooms - it's only another $20!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple