My family stayed here to watch the Target/Ford fireworks this year. I made a few requests before arriving and they were very gracious about fulfilling them. We had a partial view of the fireworks from our room, but we watched the fireworks from their lawn outside of the restaurants. It was a wonderful experience to have with my 3 year old, so I'll probably do it again just for his enjoyment.
Overall - it was a decent stay for our purpose. However, I would not stay here for business. There are a few reasons why I wouldn't.
First, the air conditioning in our room seemed to be barely functioning as we set it at 69 and the room temperature never went below 75. I didn't make a complaint about it because the hotel was so full, and I figured that it would work itself out later during the night - and it didn't.
Second, it's definitely time for a renovation. The lobby looks good, but the rooms are very old and the bed we had was so bad and lumpy that it felt like it was original to the room. I saw a sign saying that they would be renovating soon, so hopefully that will help to improve my first two issues.
Lastly, this probably has nothing to do with the hotel itself, but whatever you do, PLEASE DO NOT USE THE VALET!!! We called down to get our car retrieved about 15 minutes before we checked out because I had heard that the valet was slow. We arrived at the valet stand/area about 20 minutes after calling down and our car had not been retrieved yet. (Not so bad, but no one had even left to go get the car). We waited for over an hour in total to get our car. Some people waited even longer. The valet seemed to be for the whole building complex, so I don't think they could blame it on high occupancy especially since it was only 7am, they just seemed to have more people standing around than actually going to get cars. Hopefully, that has been fixed, but I'm not optimistic.
So if you need to stay in downtown Detroit, this is an okay/average place, but there are a few alternatives within walking distance that might fare a little better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Soaring 73 floors above the Detroit River, the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center is ideally located in downtown Detroit, situated on the RiverWalk and next to Hart Plaza. The hotel is within the GM Renaissance Center, which provides convenient access to shopping, restaurants and entertainment. The Detroit "People Mover" public transportation system enables guests to visit top attractions that surround the hotel. Floor-to-ceiling windows and dramatic views highlight our hotel rooms, while a reinvented lobby boasts functional seating and business friendly amenities in a trendy setting. Delight in the stylishly urban ambiance of Volt, and enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner and evening cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Marriott, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Detroit Marriott At The Renaissance Hotel Detroit
- Detroit Renaissance At Center
- Marriott Detroit
- Renaissance Detroit