“Very friendly staff!! Excellent room service meal! Quiet sleep overlooking the river”

Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Right from the moment we pulled up we were greeted with smiles and courteous service. Room service was very fast, very hot and fresh and served by a very friendly young lady. The wireless was 13.00$ although most other chains offer it to their elite members for free. The hotel has no pool but the view at night from the 64th floor was amazing. The elevator goes up and down very quickly so prepare for you ears to pop.
The hotel is lovely. We made a good choice with this one

• Stayed December 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Korean first
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The Ren Cen is a cool hotel with a lot of history. It has all the amenities of a nice Marriott, a Starbucks and food court in the building, and is located right on the riverwalk (which is nicer in Summer than Winter). The views from upper floors are amazing - looking out the window at some areas with dark and dirty-looking buildings and other areas that have been rejuvinated - it makes me feel like I'm playing Sim City. And the San Diego Chargers were staying there, autograph hounds take note.

• Stayed December 2011
Richmond, VA
Reviewed December 23, 2011

My 16 year old son and I were travelling from Virginia to Michigan for a weekend of football (UM-Nebraska on Sat; Lions vs Panthers on Sun). As I went to check in, I was greeted by the wonderful Malika, who really took care of us. We were upgraded to a room on the 65th floor connected to a spacious hospitality suite with floor-to-ceiling windows with a spectacular view overlooking downtown Detroit.

The location of the hotel was excellent. The People Mover had a stop in the Renaissance Center which was very convenient. The walk to Ford Field was a straight-shot, 15 minute direct walk from the hotel.

I was most impressed with the Front Desk staff. They were all very friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and approachable. I had never been to Detroit before, so I was quite apprehensive about what to expect—especially at night. The Front Desk folks really took us under their wing--they told us the places to go, places to avoid, places to eat (Pizza Papalis—outstanding deep dish pizza!), etc. A special thanks to Malika for making my stay a memorable one.

Overall—a great experience at a great hotel. Will definitively stay there again if I have the opportunity!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We've stayed at the Marriott in Detroit two years in a row for my boyfriend's holiday party. The party was for a very large group (I heard over 5,000 people) and they handled check-in and out with ease. I was impressed with how efficient they were with hosting such a large group. The rooms were nice and clean with beautiful views of the city.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Devonshire Parish, Bermuda
Reviewed December 20, 2011

I stayed at the Detroit Marriott@Ren Center for a conference in May 2010. Upon my arrival, packages I had delivered to the hotel were available for my pick up without charge.
The center was so huge that multiple elevators could take you to various level hotel rooms, shopping areas or conference rooms. It took me a while to find the correct elevator to take me to my room on a high floor. Once inside, I found the rooms to be very large.
I wandered around a bit and took more elevators to find on the ground level the GM-Chrysler vehicles. This was very nice to see up close. You could wander around taking in the beauty of the American made vehicles and pricing. I cannot forget to mention the beautiful view of the river and boardwalk from my room and certain shopping areas of the hotel.
In addition, the shopping and eateries inside the hotel center was a plus. You could sit and people watch the numerous business persons hustling through the plaza. Truly a busy place. I did take in a couple of downtown restaurants while I was visiting, but did not se as much as I'd hoped. I would definitely re-visit the Detroit Marriott@Ren Center and take in more sights of the city of Detroit and the nearby Ford museums/attractions. It was a nice stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Mumbai
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The RenCen is a landmark in Detroit - it is located at the beautiful river front and you can see another country from there! It's Canada, of course. Anyway, RenCen's claim to fame is that it is the global headquarters of General Motors. So if you have work at GM, here's where you stay. Now RenCen is a maze and if you can navigate through the labyrinthine corridors of this place and manage to reach the Marriott located right in the building, I am sure you don't need satnav in your car.

The hotel was built as part of the orignal design of RenCen, so it's kind of embedded. And RenCen has been around for some decades now, so the hotel also looks the part. It is fuddy-duddy in the overall appearance of the rooms and looks as if it could do a complete facelift, like the way GM does its cars. My room was very high up and even then I could look at office workers across. The Marriott RenCen gave me the feeling of an airport hotel, where it is just a place for folks to rest and shower and get out. So it makes sense if you have work at GM or want to head to downtown Detroit... or Canada!

Room Tip: I wonder if it has some river-facing rooms?
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed December 16, 2011

Just giving feedback that this was one of the worst stays at any property I have ever had at any brand. The beds were uncomfortable, similar to laying in a canoe. I had a backache for 2 days after. The concierge lounge being closed was somewhat of an inconvenience as well. I was staying with a friend and the bill was split in half and delivered as 2 separate invoices rather than 1 for the room, how embarassing. Minor issue there, but the worst is yet to come.

We entered the room, and the curtains were pulled closed, and it was a very typical room and amenities, yet I have seen better furnishings and maintenance at lower scale hotels. The desk and work area reminded me of a Hilton Garden Inn, except they have refridgerators and microwaves. Thought you guys were more upscale than that, maybe you got a decent price on them second hand. The room itself with the curtains closed provided a dark and dreary first impression. When I opened the curtains so we could look out, the chill and drafts from the dirty windows explained why the curtains were closed. My expectation of a room at the Marriot has certainly not been met at this property.

When I walk into a room, I expect it to be warm and inviting, not drafty and ghetto. And speaking of amenities, you need to get someone else to procure the soaps, shampoos, and accompanyments. They are the worst smelling and longest last stink that I never thought was possible since I was at a hotel in Binghamton, NY.

While there are many more annoyances that I could list, the most important factor that really made me say I will not likely return is that I valet parked my new (like 4 weeks new) 2012 Cadillac SRX at the front door, only because there were other events going on at that time which made it impossible to self park. In return for the $25 charge, I received my vehicle back in fine condition with an extra 23 miles on the odometer, and a somewhat dirty interior. You may wonder how I know that; it's because I had mentally noted as I turned on to Beubien that it just rolled over to 1101 miles, and by the time I got to the valet station, it was at 1102. When I received the car back, it had 1125 miles on the odometer. Mind you it's not the number of miles added on, it's the notion that the valet folks were out bombing around downtown Detroit in my ride on my dime, and me having to pay valet fees. Pizza delivery anyone? As the valet parking structure is right across the street, I can not fathom that there would have been more than a single mile added onto the odometer.

Bonus was that the elevators are card access only, but the slots are very difficult to slide the card in, often taking multiple stabs. One would think that the card itself should pick the floor that your card is for, or at the very least offer to.

Needless to say, this is not my vision of a comfortable property to make a return visit to.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side overlook Canada and the River, rooms on the north side overlook the local casino...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple