“Thanksgiving Eve”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Waterford
“Thanksgiving Eve”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have stayed at the hotel many of times.
We are even Elite members.
We were staying downtown for the Turkey trot.
On the 55th floor.
Everything was great and everything we expected.
But......
When we were awoke @ 1am by the fire alarm.
Tried to call the desk with no response.
we opened our door , there were bells and lights going off.
we went to the elevators , they did not work( because of the fire)
No other people were out of thier rooms as of yet.
We gathered our other guest and went down 52 flights of stairs.
When we got on the 3rd floor we were not greeted on what to do.
Went out side , Still no one told us what was happening.
We had two little childen with us ages 3 and 5 we could not keep them outside like that , The Hotel needs a main phone system to alert the client if it is a false alarm or a real emergency.
We know now it was a real fire 4 floors below us.

Just a flook? We will stay again. maybe on a lower floor.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
  • Korean first
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

Not sure what it is about Detroit, but the people at this hotel are outstanding! From the valet parking staff, to the check-in staff, to the restaurant and room service staff - they are great! I've been staying here monthly for about 3 years, and have no complaints! My reviews tend to be for places I like, and this is no exception!
Love the location - downtown, central to where I need to go. Is it a bit dead at night - you betcha! Do I care? Not really....
What I love - Mary Anne in the Volt lounge - that woman remembers what I like to eat and drink - who does that in this day & age? Who remembers that the mussels and Greek salad were too much last time, and that I like flavoured vodka? She does! Oh, and the mussels? GET THEM! The sauce they come in is like crack to me - I would order it as a soup if I could! (Mary Anne - is this possible? Let's talk on my next visit...) The fish tacos however - not so great - she tried to tell me but I just wouldn't listen (that time - I will from now on...) So Mary Anne stands out - but really, everyone here is friendly and helpful.... I adore the "can do" attitude that folks at this hotel have - times have been tough in Detroit, but you really get the feeling here that they just put their heads down and did their best to get through it.
I use the concierge lounge for breakfast and have to commend the staff there - they know their regulars and treat them like family - I love eavesdropping on conversations about kids and life - and although I'm incapable of being so outgoing until AFTER a couple of coffees, I do appreciate the efforts the staff make to get to know their regulars...

Room Tip: see if you can get a view of Canada across the river - it's pretty!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

We stayed at the Detroit Marriott at the Renaissance Center while in Detroit on family business. During the stay we needed to extend for another night. I was assured by the reservation attendant that our room would stay the same. When returning to the hotel on the final night after being out for the day, the key didn't work. I went down to the front desk and spent 40 or so minutes getting the room straight. We were given another room on the river side but not the same room.....what a hassle, I wanted the same room. Also the new room didn't have a full view like the old room because it was blocked by the adjacent tower. We to pay extra for internet?????? Room service was fair but not great. Beware floor plan of the hotel is a maze, the check-in desk is on the second floor. Maybe Recommended.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Bgreenard
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2011

By and large I am not a fan of Marriotts, too business like to be a good vacation hotel and with all the add-ons, too pricey for my average 'need a bed for the night' business travel. ($12.95 a night for internet when you are at $250.00 for the room is a sore spot) but all that aside, I enjoyed my stay here immensely. Attached to GM world headquarters, there is a lot of hustle and bustle, a fair amount of on location shopping and even a food court to indulge my desire for a breakfast costing less than $30. My room was large, nice furniture, comfortable bed and good soundproofing.

Outside the hotel there is not a whole lot. Everyone talks about Greek Town nightlife but I was unimpressed by the Casino and the Restaurant offerings and stayed mainly with the Ren Center eateries and bars.

Find your way down to the Car exhibit on the bottom floor of the Ren Center and see a couple of Corvette concept cars from the 60's. The Mako Shark Corvette and the Manta Ray are both extremely cool looking cars and worth the time to check out.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Carldaddy
Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

First, I just want to say....I love coming to Detroit and this hotel. For all of you reading this, don't believe everything your hear. This city is amazing, with ALOT to do. So if you're thinking about coming and your not sure.......DO IT, you won't regret it. Now to my review.

My new bride and I stayed at the hotel on October 2, the day after we got married. We informed the front desk we were newlyweds and were upgraded to a Jr. Suite on the 63rd floor. Thanks Jorja (I think thats how she spelled it??) The room was excellent!!!! It had a separate living area from the bedroom, two bathrooms and amazing views of the river, Windsor, Cobo Hall, The Ambassador Bridge, Hart Plaza and Joe Louis Arena.

After a trip to the casino and some cocktails, we had a late night meal from VOLT and it was very good. We also pre-ordered room service breakfast. It was delivered on time and exactly as we ordred...not to mention it was delicious.

We have stayed here in the past with no complaints and without being able to take our "official" honeymoom until December, it was an easy choice to stay here for our first night as a married couple!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views. With lower floors you have the chance of looking into someone'...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank MrFlyHigh
Carson City, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2011

The rooms are very nice, well appointed and comfortable, ours had a great view of the River, Ambassador Bridge and Canada, we had no issues with sound or thin walls. Views are also excellent from 71st floor restaurant and there is a very nice bar in the lobby too. The gym is well equipped and large -- a very nice surprise. The lobby is in the center of RenCen complex and can be a bit confusing due to circular hallways and ramps with multiple escalators and elevators but it is a great space even if it does take a bit of effort to navigate, the obligatory GM vehicle displays on the first floor are interesting to kids and gear heads. Location near downtown made even better since the People Mover has a stop in the hotel. There is plenty to see and do near the hotel, and Greek Town and other attractions are only a few stops away. Internet (wired and wifi) in room at extra charge.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor room, and beware of higher costs to connect to wifi in the meeting rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Roadgeeks
Surprise, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2011

We recently stayed a weekend to attend a Detroit Lions game. We couldnt be happier with the choice. I was a little nervous after seeing some of the more recent reviews. However I found it to be a very enjoyable hotel. Other reviewers noted the noise, we were close to the elevator and the only time I noticed anything was if I was awake and our room was comletely silent. Maybe we lucked out. The bed was incredibly comfortable and we did pay extra for a room with a view, no regrets there as it was worth it. Check in and check out ran smoothly for us. The hotel is large and my wife did seem to have a little bit of trouble navigating through. We took advantage of the movie theater located inside. A bit small but very convenient. The Volt bar was a nice place to have drinks. They serve food there as well. We did wish for a bit more on the menu as the other restaurant was closed. The coach/sig bar on the 70th floor had a nice view, but service was a bit under par. May have been because it was late. Overall everyone was extremely helpful and friendly. The food court below had a different feel (grouchy service) and we wondered how closely they were affiliated with the Marriot. But we dont feel we can hold that against them. We look forward to another stay next year.

Room Tip: One with a river view
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple