“Well worth it....”

Ranked #26 of 1,138 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Brazilian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Texas de Brazil is carving out a whole new experience in dining. The restaurant is an authentic Brazilian-American "Churrascaria" or steakhouse that combines the cuisines of Southern Brazil with the generous spirit of Texas.Treat yourself to our 50-60 item seasonal salad area including appetizers, gourmet vegetables, soups, and salads. Turn your place card to green and prepare to be swarmed by a troop of carvers generously serving various cuts of seasoned beef, lamb, pork, chicken and Brazilian sausage, all accompanied by traditional side items and house-baked Brazilian cheese bread. As you dine endlessly on Brazilian fare, let one of our in-house wine connoisseurs select the perfect pairing from our extensive, award-winning wine lists, or sip on a freshly-made signature cocktail-the Caipirinha. Complete your dining experience with one of our many decadent dessert selections, and then relax with an after-dinner drink, steaming espresso and enjoy the ambiance and service perfection that is uniquely Texas de Brazil.
Reviewed January 3, 2014

My friends asked my partner and I if we ever tried this restaurant. We had not so they decided to gives us a treat. It was well worth it. Without reservations the hostess stated an approximate 25 minute wait time. We were seated within 10 minutes. From the hostess to the wait staff it was top notch. Wondering about a menu we were politely informed and instructed the process to ordering and service. The salad bar offered everything from sushi to lobster bisque soup. All tasty and top notch. The main course a variety of meats from lamb chops to garlic sirloin are served from skewers. Even though some meats might be a little on the rare side they will accommodate without hesitation to have the meat cooked more to your liking. Additional side of garlic mashed potatoes and fried bananas were served to our table. Everything I sampled was very good to exceptional. A suggestion ....don't load up on the awesome salad bar leave room for the main course you can always go back. The restaurant itself has a nice atmosphere both casual and upscale but not pretentious. We were seated by the window and had a great view of a vibrant Campus Martius and its skating rink. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary with great food and service this would be a wise choice. I will make this a favorite especially for special occasions. Just a note a little pricey but well worth it.

2  Thank snicker55

Reviewed December 28, 2013

Having been to other Churrascarias (Brazilian Steakhouses) tried this for lunch with some of my work colleagues. The food was great and the service fantastic as well. Excellent Salad bar (to go alongside the Lobster Bisque Soup) to start with - and stewards dresses as gauchos serve meats of your choice - cooked to perfection - right off the skewers into your plates. The Filet is the only meat they don't serve for lunch (atleast that's what I was told), but the rest of the meats they serve are good - if not awesome- enough - the "Picanha" (the rump cover - popular in Brazil) being my favorite. The sides of the Garlic Mashed Potatoes and Fried bananas are delicious as well. Have been there quite a few times since my first lunch visit in June 2013, and will go there again - though would definitely would like to try the dinner option sometime

1  Thank avaidya4
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I wanted to do something different for my boyfriend's birthday, instead of going to one of his favorite restaurants to eat. I made a 7 pm reservation at the Texas de Brazil, and told the host that we were celebrating a birthday. When we arrived, we were warmly greeted with birthday wishes, and promptly seated. At first glance, we loved the decor of the restaurant and were seated at a table that had a beautiful night view of the downtown christmas lights and the holiday skaters at Campus Martius, Unfortunately, the restaurant is very noisy ( more like a traditional family dining place), and there were no booths in the place for any type of privacy! Our table conversation had to be elevated to above our normal speaking volumes to really communicate with one another. This was a bit of a turn off as I expected to have a quiet, romantic dinner, with great food.

Our waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable about the food and restaurant concept, and she covered how the dining experience works with the salad bar and table card system. There are no food menus! You have no idea what preparation of meats will be served until the special meat carvers literally show up at your table with the meat on skewers . The salad bar was awesome and unusual. They had an incredible lobster bisque and good mashed potatoes served at the table, unfortunately both were not hot enough and were cold much too soon. In fact, beyond the salad bar, all the food is basically served at room temperature. I take my time eating and enjoying my food and I like my food served hot so that it maintains a warm temperature down to my last spoonful. There was a great variety of nicely seasoned meats, but half of the meat was served too rare for my taste. The servers were happy to fulfill my request for meat cooked through longer. There were meat carvers constantly milling around ready yo serve you,

We ordered a pitcher of the sangria ( a bit pricey) , it was good and fruity, but very low alcohol content. We were too full for dessert, but the dessert offerings looked very appetizing!

Overall, it was a nice, unique experience, but won't make our favorites list! Don't expect a cozy evening of dining, but an elevated, somewhat pricey, family type restaurant. We enjoyed our night out. We would dine here again (not regularly) , but will definitely come with a different and more casual expectation.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

We had dinner here while downtown for a concert and celebrating my birthday. I had previously signed up at the hotels website and received a coupon for my birthday. I made my reservation online and indicated the birthday celebration.

We were seated immediately and since the waitress knew it was our visit, she made sure to explain how the whole experience works and checked on us often to make sure we were doing OK. We were offered drinks/soda but opted to just drink water and not fill up on beverages. It did not appear there are any booths at this location, only tables. Not a lot of privacy and there were families with children. So not exactly private or intimate if that's the experience your looking for.

There is a salad bar but don't expect your traditional fixings of a typical salad bar. There was sushi, various cheeses, sun dried tomatos, meats. There is also a soup of the day and potatoes au gratin. Bread filled with cheese is also served at your table along with mashed potatoes.

You are given a card which is green on one side and red on the other. You flip your card to green to signal you are ready to be offered meat selections and red to signal your done for now. You can flip it back and forth as often as you want.

There are servers that walk around with different types of meats and you can have as much as you want (or don't want) of each of them. We were offered prime rib, filet mignon, leg of lamb, pork ribs, bacon wrapped chicken and flank steak. Most are served medium rare, however I felt some were a little more on the rare side. The waitress advised that we could have the meat cooked more if we wanted but I didn't request it.

At the end of the meal we were offered dessert choices. I thought the waitress said it would be complimentary due to my birthday but apparently I misunderstood. We ordered a slice of cheesecake and it was delivered in a plate with "Happy Birthday" written on the plate in chocolate and a candle. But we were charged for the cheesecake.

Overall I enjoyed the experience but you really have to like meat and be able to eat a lot of it!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

Our visit started when we were greeted by Elliott (the GM) and continued from there. Elliott made the experience truly memorable with his smile, go beyond service, and interaction with our group. The staff was beyond exceptional - constantly there to serve, re-fill water, etc. We will definitely return to this restaurant and highly recommend it! And the food - the salad bar is fresh with a great variety and the variety of meats was excellent! Something for everyone!