“Plan Ahead”

Ranked #3 of 153 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This old Detroit home belies the greatness that was born here: the Motown Sound. But one step inside Hitsville, USA, the original house where Berry Gordy lived and recorded the Motown hits, and you'll catch the beat and spirit of this booming music era. Photos, costumes, artwork, music and other memorabilia take you back to simpler times.
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Great, interesting museum, but be careful when you come. The website mentions tours, but doesn't tell you that you HAVE to join one. We arrived Saturday of a holiday weekend, only to be told we'd have to wait 80 minutes for a 60 minute tour. We would have liked to visit the gift shop (whose selection could have been better for a place that doesn't allow photography), but you can't unless you go through the tour. It's worth it, but there should be more of an effort to explain the visitation process, and to indicate dates and times there will be a wait.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,542)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a good and low cost museum and tour was very good. Our tour guide was very good and he could sing. I loved this and happy to see how Motown stared and the location that it started in.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

Truly a view into the past. This home was the birth place of the mo-town sound and somehow has escaped commercial sellout. A genuine joy to give money to. They have even preserved the recording rooms complete with the mics they sang into. Something really magical about being in that building, you can FEEL the strange energy that might have been there first, or was left behind by the music made. But it's still there and you can visit for a very modest fee. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and friendly, as well as enthusiastic about the whole place and history. After many visits to many historical places I will say this is my favorite due to the value place on the original place not a re-worked version.

2  Thank Dealia420
Reviewed March 16, 2013

I wasn't expecting much - thought I'd see a few pieces of memorabilia and read a little history. Boy was I wrong. We took a tour with Glen (who is very entertaining and engaging!) and learned a lot. We'll definitely be going back soon and highly recommend it.

3  Thank kidboj
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I visited this site and felt like I was walking through rock and roll history. So many original costumes. I loved going into the recording studio. I would definitely come back.

1  Thank patsend

Been to Motown Museum? Share your experiences!