“Yo to Motown!”

Ranked #3 of 142 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This old Detroit home belies the greatness that was born here: the Motown Sound. But one step inside Hitsville, USA, the original house where Berry Gordy lived and recorded the Motown hits, and you'll catch the beat and spirit of this booming music era. Photos, costumes, artwork, music and other memorabilia take you back to simpler times.
Los Angeles, California
82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 93 helpful votes
“Yo to Motown!”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Detroit has every right to be proud for producing such awesome music known as Motown. A trip here is a must for Motown lovers.
It's an actual house called "Hitsville USA" and there's some great memorabilia at this historical museum for music buffs.

Visited November 2012

• Korean first
Bay City, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Stand where the greats stood”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We visit Detroit alot and cannot believe we have never checked out this museum. $10 is reasonable for about an hour long, guided tour. Our tour guide was very eager and energetic. This is probably not a tour I would recommend for kids but my son is 11 and he wasn't bored. The best part of it all is that you are not just in a museum-you are in the building where all the great Motown hit makers stood. There are not alot of artifacts on display but like I said-the whole place is an artifact!

Visited January 2013
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Motown Surprise!”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Wow! What a wonderful surprise! I learned several interesting things as a result of visiting this museum and highly recommend it to anyone passing through Detroit - whether you are a Motown fan or not.

The museum, housed in an old house, is quite literally where Motown began. The museum has some wonderful exhibits and upstairs there are many photos, album covers, gold and platinum records on display. Included amongst the exhibits is a Michael Jackson hat and glove he wore during his live performance celebrating Motown’s 25th anniversary.

From the exhibits we crossed over to Gordy's apartment which was decorated in early 1960's fashion then we went downstairs to the Motown business office which had many interesting pieces of furniture, phones and other dated office equipment that had several younger people on the tour enquiring what they were actually used for. The tour comes to an end in the infamous and legendary Studio A where many of the classic Motown hits were recorded.

Our tour guide was knowledgeable, humorous and a wonderful communicator. He interacted and included everyone within the group into things at various times during the tour. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit and highly recommend it to anyone visiting the area.

Visited April 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Why didn't I come here earlier?”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have driven by this Historical site so many times over so many years and never took the time to stop and check it out. - What a mistake!!!
Forget about the historical aspect - This is just plain FUN!!!!
You, your tour guide and your fellow visitors will have a blast singing to the Motown Sound just by hearing one line, one note or one remembrance (Wow - I just gave my self the chills all over again!!)
This is a place you need to take your family and your friends and encourage everybody you meet on the sidewalk to experience.
We have been to Memphis and Sun Records and the Stax Museums - they are fabulous with their own histories, but Motown is at the "Top of the Heap!!!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Matt H
London, Ontario, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This is an hr or less, GUIDED tour through a historical site, worth every bit of $10, if not more.

I come from a generation that associates Motown songs with weddings and bar mitzvahs, but I learned so many fascinating things after visiting this museum that I highly recommend it to anyone passing through Detroit--Motown fan or not.

I was skeptical as we parked on Grand Blvd in front of two homes with a museum sign. We entered into a small lobby that was already full with a group of 8 kids ranging from 5 yrs old to 11. I thought for sure that they would be bored, but our tour guide, Eric, was funny and friendly and extremely considerate of the different age groups. He had the children yell into an echo chamber (the "Motown sound") and taught everyone dances in the recording studio on the very floor where Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, The Supremes, Temptations and more began.

The tour guides make all the difference in this house tour--they sing snip-its of familiar songs in front of the faces who made them famous.

There is also a video, which we were shown afterwards because of the children on our tour. The 15 min video was not as exciting as the tour, so if you are not a fan and watch it first, don't be discouraged... the tour itself will make up for it!

Visited December 2012