“Hard to find”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I thought It was rather hard to find and get parked at... Limited parking for hotel... My window didn't over look anything but I believe small street or ally.. However rooms on other side I'm sure have amazing view right over into Canada .. The basement bar is nice but bit dark and sketchy, there is no reason to bring children to this hotel there's nothing for them... It's very quiet hotel, our staff we had were great and accommodating in every way. Our room was clean and nice no unfortunate issues to report here ... It was alright hotel... I believe entry way from parking lot was lovely and quite breath taking

• Stayed: March 2013

Reviewed January 22, 2014

This hotel has two things going for it, its cheap and close to downtown Detroit and the Cobo center. My stay there in January 2014 was the worst ever. A shuttle that did not operate because no staff were available to operate it. No restaurant to speak of. Room Service Menu, no copy available in the room, that consisted of Cheese Burger, or Cheese Burger! No list of TV channels in the room. No Landry Bags, ICE machines on the third floor don't work. One of which was a health hazard and reported to the owner and reception staff on five occasions with no result. Booked Wake Up calls which did not happen, room was not cleaned and finally the flooding of my room. They would not own up to the fact that room had been flooded as they had move my things to another room which had no chair to sit when working at the desk and heating that would not rise beyond 66 degrees.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We travel often and stay in a lot of 2.5-3 star hotels. I typically don't write reviews, thinking that if my hotel stay was lacking, any feedback is doing them a favor and not worth my time. That said, our recent stay at Roberts Riverwalk was so terrible that I feel compelled to warn other travelers.

See my list of complaints below. The bathroom sink was the worst. Overall the room we stayed in--and, from the looks of it, the hotel as a whole--is in a terrible state of disrepair and lack of upkeep. As if the maintenance and cleaning staff have almost no standard of quality. For $110/night this is the biggest ripoff in recent memory. Do yourself a favor, find anything else at a comparable price or save $30 and stay in a Days Inn, La Quinta, whatever. You will regret choosing Roberts Riverwalk.

The hotel:
- The parking was full, so I had to park my car overnight in the turnaround.
- The keycards weren't working, so the staff had to escort us to the room.
- The next morning, at 9am, there was no one at the bistro to take our orders for overpriced hotel food, so we had to eat on the road.
- Of course no complimentary breakfast items (not even coffee or tea).

The bedroom:
- The carpet was very poorly vacuumed (if at all). There was popcorn or banana chips or something yellow and disgusting in a corner next to the sofa.
- Our visit was in the winter and at 15F outside the heater could not keep the room at a comfortable level. But it made a lot of noise trying.
- The coffee machine did not work.
- All of the towels were severely frayed and the bed sheets smelled stale as though they hadn’t been washed in a long time.
- The wallpaper was peeling off in a few places and there were damaged areas in the drywall..
- There was dust everywhere, as if no one had used the room in years.
- The ceiling vent had duct tape holding it in place.
- The foyer area had a drop ceiling in which the tiles were filthy and damaged, and some were out of place.
- The bedroom clock was exactly 30 minutes off (how is that possible).

The bathroom (the worst):
- The sink was cracked, drained very slowly, and leaked water all over the floor below. I could feel my feet getting wet as I stood there brushing my teeth.
- The bathroom fan didn’t work, but it was caked with dust.
- All of the fixtures were loose as if about to fall apart from years of use but no maintenance.

3  Thank Drew0000
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Short story: Horrible customer service, I never even made it into my room. Do not stay here.

Details: My colleague and I reserved rooms 2 months in advance of our stay. I called the hotel to confirm my reservation the day prior to check-in (based on some of the reviews here, I wanted to make sure everything was on track for a successful stay), and was told I was confirmed. I called later that day to ask if there is a shuttle from the hotel (there isn't), and upon arrival in Detroit the evening of my check-in I called a third time to try and set up a shuttle ride the next morning to a local destination (the shuttle doesn't start until 9am, which wasn't early enough for me).

When we arrived at the hotel, we were told our rooms were not available due to a water main break that occurred over 24 hours prior.

I asked why no one reached out to me with this news (they said they did but when I didn't pick up my phone, they didn't bother to leave a message). I asked why no one told me about this the THREE times I called prior to my arrival. They could not answer my questions.

They made alternate reservations for us at a hotel 23 miles away - and they were not willing to pay for my taxi rides during my stay (I had no car). This was not an equivalent accommodation. I ended up getting a room at the Marriott (also located downtown, not 23 miles away) for roughly 5-times the price of this hotel. I asked The Roberts Riverwalk to pay for my Marriott hotel bill, and they, of course, declined to do so.

1  Thank Rebecca R
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel was really nice. The only complaint I have is that the shower drain was clogged and by the end of my shower I was standing in ankle deep water. Not fun. I liked that they had a shuttle to drop you off wherever you wanted to go in Detroit which was really convenient because it was the day of the Red Wing Alumni game and so the city was busy! Went to see Zac Brown Band at the Joe and this was a great place to stay for that.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

WORST HOTEL STAY EVER.

We stayed in room 119 from 12/27 - 12/29.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Check in, head towards our room. The halls reminded me of a vintage cruise, except one of the three large chandeliers were out. Room was unique. Very vintage. Which I liked. The HDMI port for sound on the cheap flat screen TV did not work. We called asking for someone to come look at it. An "employee" came to our room. No uniform, no name badge, nothing. After messing with the TV, he said "maaaaan I dunno what the hell is wrong with this damn thing". Really? Your employees talk like this? We asked if they would swap out a TV, they said no, but they could switch us rooms, after talking for a bit, I caught on that we would be downgraded (we were in a king size room with a river front view) to a double bed room with the court yard view. I learned the "court yard" was the circular drive with several large pot holes and muddy grounds. We decided to keep our room. We noticed there were only two large towels, one for each of us. We requested more towels, which we did get. The bed is that bed everyone fears when staying in a hotel. We will leave it at that. The room had a rather large, tall window that looked over the Detroit River and Canada. I liked this. The window was quite dirty. I let this slide due to it being winter and being right off the Detroit River. The window was very drafty. We actually kept our pop and wine in the window sill to keep it chilled. In the description of the hotel, it did stay refrigerator and microwave available on request. We requested a fridge and were told "oh we're all out". Really?!

SATURDAY: Get up, get ready, head for breakfast. In our deal from Hotels.com, it included complimentary bathrobes and breakfast. We were actually thankful we didn't get robes considering the stains on the bedding, bed and floor. Breakfast was not complimentary, you had to pay for it in a restaurant. They did have some oranges on a stand in the lobby, I'm assuming those were free. After a long day out and about, we came back and decided to have dinner delivered to our room. In the lobby, they had several local restaurants that offered delivery. From being from Indiana, we weren't used to Detroit driving and decided to have food delivered. Every restaurant but one did not delivery either "that area" or "that part of town". The hotel is located in a bad part of town. Now why would you have menus in your lobby that offer delivery that do not deliver to your hotel?! We ended up getting Happy's Pizza delivered. They were located two blocks away, took an hour to receive it, and brought Ginger Ale instead of Pepsi. We had noticed when they cleaned the room, they took our towels. Now generally, hanging up your towels in a hotel is a sign they don't have to replace them. They still took our towels (which is fine), but did not replace the same amount of towels. Again, we requested extra towels and were told house keeping would bring them to our room. We never saw those extra towels.

SUNDAY: Got up, got ready, packed up, left. I have stayed in some poor quality hotels / motels, but this was the worst. The parking lot / court yard had signs "park at your own risk". I read the reviews before going and told myself people only write reviews when they're upset or didn't get what they thought they deserved and we needed to make our own opinion on the place, especially since it was a historical building. DO NOT STAY HERE. The reviews are accurate! No information on hotel amenities, local attractions or history on the building / hotel was available. The coffee pot was a 4 cup mini pot, which is standard, but they only give you decaf. DECAF?! really?!

There was a fire in the hotel a few days before we had arrived. A traveler's car was broken into. The power went out and people were not refunded their money (apparently the power was out for quite a bit).

I hate to see hotels function like this. This place has A LOT of potential. They need better management. I really hope this place turns around.

I give one star ONLY because their front desk girl, Erica, was the best part of the stay. She was very polite, very sweet, and always had a smile. I'm sure she gets a lot of crap from upset travelers (including us) but she remained to be very professional.

2  Thank khighlen08
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Traveler,

First of all, thank you for posting a review on your recent stay at our hotel.

We obviously fell short in many different areas and we sincerely apologize for this. Your experience is very important to us and it is not acceptable to provide any level of service other than the best.

We equally appreciate you not only voicing your concerns about your stay but mentioning Erica's great customer service. She is wonderful and tries very hard to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible.

We continue to work on improving operations by sharing feedback such as yours with the management and staff, so we really do value your input.

We hope that you will give us another try in the future. Until then, thank you and warm wishes.

Management Team / jc

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Came to Detroit to visit the Motown Museum, the Hardcore Pawn TV store and family. Hotel staff were very courteous and accomodating. Room was clean and comfortable. I intend to stay here on future trips to the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Major S!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on our behalf - we appreciate you and your business and always love hearing from our valued guests!

We hope you enjoyed the events you attended and visiting the HardCore Pawn Shop - Detroit has a lot to offer but that is a favorite among many of our travelers!

Thank you again for your review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Management Team / jc