“Convenient Location for Detroit Events!”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Gregory, Michigan
“Convenient Location for Detroit Events!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This hotel was really nice. The only complaint I have is that the shower drain was clogged and by the end of my shower I was standing in ankle deep water. Not fun. I liked that they had a shuttle to drop you off wherever you wanted to go in Detroit which was really convenient because it was the day of the Red Wing Alumni game and so the city was busy! Went to see Zac Brown Band at the Joe and this was a great place to stay for that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Ossian, Indiana
Reviewed January 1, 2014

WORST HOTEL STAY EVER.

We stayed in room 119 from 12/27 - 12/29.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Check in, head towards our room. The halls reminded me of a vintage cruise, except one of the three large chandeliers were out. Room was unique. Very vintage. Which I liked. The HDMI port for sound on the cheap flat screen TV did not work. We called asking for someone to come look at it. An "employee" came to our room. No uniform, no name badge, nothing. After messing with the TV, he said "maaaaan I dunno what the hell is wrong with this damn thing". Really? Your employees talk like this? We asked if they would swap out a TV, they said no, but they could switch us rooms, after talking for a bit, I caught on that we would be downgraded (we were in a king size room with a river front view) to a double bed room with the court yard view. I learned the "court yard" was the circular drive with several large pot holes and muddy grounds. We decided to keep our room. We noticed there were only two large towels, one for each of us. We requested more towels, which we did get. The bed is that bed everyone fears when staying in a hotel. We will leave it at that. The room had a rather large, tall window that looked over the Detroit River and Canada. I liked this. The window was quite dirty. I let this slide due to it being winter and being right off the Detroit River. The window was very drafty. We actually kept our pop and wine in the window sill to keep it chilled. In the description of the hotel, it did stay refrigerator and microwave available on request. We requested a fridge and were told "oh we're all out". Really?!

SATURDAY: Get up, get ready, head for breakfast. In our deal from Hotels.com, it included complimentary bathrobes and breakfast. We were actually thankful we didn't get robes considering the stains on the bedding, bed and floor. Breakfast was not complimentary, you had to pay for it in a restaurant. They did have some oranges on a stand in the lobby, I'm assuming those were free. After a long day out and about, we came back and decided to have dinner delivered to our room. In the lobby, they had several local restaurants that offered delivery. From being from Indiana, we weren't used to Detroit driving and decided to have food delivered. Every restaurant but one did not delivery either "that area" or "that part of town". The hotel is located in a bad part of town. Now why would you have menus in your lobby that offer delivery that do not deliver to your hotel?! We ended up getting Happy's Pizza delivered. They were located two blocks away, took an hour to receive it, and brought Ginger Ale instead of Pepsi. We had noticed when they cleaned the room, they took our towels. Now generally, hanging up your towels in a hotel is a sign they don't have to replace them. They still took our towels (which is fine), but did not replace the same amount of towels. Again, we requested extra towels and were told house keeping would bring them to our room. We never saw those extra towels.

SUNDAY: Got up, got ready, packed up, left. I have stayed in some poor quality hotels / motels, but this was the worst. The parking lot / court yard had signs "park at your own risk". I read the reviews before going and told myself people only write reviews when they're upset or didn't get what they thought they deserved and we needed to make our own opinion on the place, especially since it was a historical building. DO NOT STAY HERE. The reviews are accurate! No information on hotel amenities, local attractions or history on the building / hotel was available. The coffee pot was a 4 cup mini pot, which is standard, but they only give you decaf. DECAF?! really?!

There was a fire in the hotel a few days before we had arrived. A traveler's car was broken into. The power went out and people were not refunded their money (apparently the power was out for quite a bit).

I hate to see hotels function like this. This place has A LOT of potential. They need better management. I really hope this place turns around.

I give one star ONLY because their front desk girl, Erica, was the best part of the stay. She was very polite, very sweet, and always had a smile. I'm sure she gets a lot of crap from upset travelers (including us) but she remained to be very professional.

2 Thank khighlen08
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear Traveler,

First of all, thank you for posting a review on your recent stay at our hotel.

We obviously fell short in many different areas and we sincerely apologize for this. Your experience is very important to us and it is not acceptable to provide any level of service other than the best.

We equally appreciate you not only voicing your concerns about your stay but mentioning Erica's great customer service. She is wonderful and tries very hard to make everyone's stay as enjoyable as possible.

We continue to work on improving operations by sharing feedback such as yours with the management and staff, so we really do value your input.

We hope that you will give us another try in the future. Until then, thank you and warm wishes.

Management Team / jc

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Detroit
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Came to Detroit to visit the Motown Museum, the Hardcore Pawn TV store and family. Hotel staff were very courteous and accomodating. Room was clean and comfortable. I intend to stay here on future trips to the area.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Major S!

Thanks for taking the time to post a review on our behalf - we appreciate you and your business and always love hearing from our valued guests!

We hope you enjoyed the events you attended and visiting the HardCore Pawn Shop - Detroit has a lot to offer but that is a favorite among many of our travelers!

Thank you again for your review. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again.

Management Team / jc
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I traveled to Detroit on November 29, 2013 to attend my cousins wedding reception and booked this hotel through their website. I looked at the pictures and the ratings and thought this would be a lovely hotel to stay in since it was a few minutes from my relatives home. Needless to say I was completely wrong and disgusted with the outcome. My debit card was charged after stating I wanted to pay by cash. Room 106 was not clean, beds not made, etc.
Moved to 3rd floor, room 311 or 317 - headboard fell off the wall and shower was stopped up. Moved to 4th floor, room 417 - furnace not working. shower and sink stopped up and key to the room not working. General Manager was disrespectful, rude, unprofessional, lacked communications skills and used profanity. The Genera; Manager stated he would give 50% discount on stay and would let the Hotel Manager know. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, had to locate the waiter after 15 minutes of waiting for someone. No clean towels or washcloths at 9AM in the morning, had to place 3 calls to the front desk to ask for towels and wash cloths, but instead sent the maintenance man to the room stating the furnace was not working again instead of housekeeping. At check out, I and another hotel guest had to wait until hotel staff had a meeting to check out. No credit was given of any kind and I had to ask for a receipt. None of the charges on the invoice made any sense. Hotel Staff was unprofessional, very young, weren't able to work the computers, print invoices or activate the key cards to the hotel rooms properly.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Vicki0821
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Right on the river walk. Beautiful views of Windsor and the river. Staff was very friendly and helpful. BIG rooms, high ceilings, a living and bedroom area both with flat screens. Sure its an older hotel and some things need updating but its clean and pretty and for the cost and location it can't be beat. If I had one complaint it would be that the beautiful river view was a bit obscured by windows that were due for a washing. Overall I highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you so much traveling guest for taking the time to let us know how we did during your recent stay at our hotel! We love to hear from our guests!

Aren't those huge windows that showcase the view of the River and the Canadian coastline the best! We apologize though that they could have been cleaner - we promise to work on that! We would have to agree; there's just something so charming about an historic hotel, especially one that has such high ceilings, huge windows and tons of space in the room! So glad you enjoyed it.

Please do come back and see us and again. thank you!

Warm regards,