“Love this hotel.”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I stayed here several years ago, when it was an Omni. The hotel is just as beautiful but the new ownership is evident in the warmth of the staff. I was greeted warmly by everyone. I had a meal downstairs in the restaurant and it was great, and the bartender was very gracious. I was only going to spend 1 night here, and three at a hotel that sponsored lodging for a conference I'm attending at Wayne State. Once I got here, I had such a great experience I just stayed here. If there is any issue, they are glad to take care of it right away. There is a kind of casual elegance about the hotel and the staff that makes this hotel special to me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Mark6162
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello Mark,

Thank you so much for taking time to provide us such positive feedback on your recent stay at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel!

We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate gracious comments about our warm and friendly staff and atmosphere. I would have to agree; there is a certain "homey" charm to our historic and beautiful hotel. We invite you to come back again and look forward to seeing you in the future!

Warm regards,

Management Team & Staff

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I checked in to this hotel on October 19, 2013 in order to participate in a friends wedding that was held on the Detroit Princess ship. The bride requested for the bridal party along with close friends to stay At this location because of the convenience of having shuttle service to and from the ship. Upon checking in we were greeted by valet who strongly requested $10 for parking, we asked If that fee applied to the guest of the hotel he Said emphatically yes, which Is Not True! We soon found out guest are allowed to park free. This should have been the first warning sign that perhaps this may not be a great place to stay, however we continued on with our check-in. Check-in went smoothly, however when we entered the room we were Shocked at the outdated and out of style furnishings. Yes, we Had a nice view of the river however the Windows were open with dead bugs lying inside the window well. We were also surprised to see that there was a fan placed in the room this was because the thermostat Was Not Working! This hotel is One of the Worst Ever! We tried to go the hotel restaurant in order to get a bite to eat however, the restaurant was closed for the evening. There are no vending machines in order to even buy snacks. The hallway noise was Outrageous! When attempts were made to try to contact the front desk with hopes they could put a stop to the disturbance of hallway noise, the room phone did not work. Because of this the call was made on my cell phone the front desk person had no idea what to do in order to solve these problems. Needless to say, we had had enough and decided we would not stay the night! And check out of the hotel at 11 PM. I strongly emphatically suggest don't waste your time at this hotel!!! It will be a waste of your time and money. There are many more nicer hotels conveniently placed in the downtown Detroit area.

Room Tip: I will not recommend anything about this hotel, it is outdated, and not the cleanest, don't wast...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bigsofty48180

Dear Traveler,

Thank you for providing us your feedback on your recent stay to our hotel.

We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations but appreciate your detailed opinion so that we may use this for the purpose of improving hotel operations.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I just recently spent a two night stay at this beautiful hotel. I liked the vintage décor but the customer service comes up short. In the room I was in where wasn't an radio/alarm clock or any information about what amenities were available in the hotel. There was a none working phone as well. There wasn't any shower caps in bathroom and the TV remotes didn't work properly. And, when I tried to call the front desk, the call would not go through, so I had to go to the front desk to ask for service. The carpet in some areas was dirty and had soil stained. I like that the hotel is black owned and I always try to patronize our Detroit black owned businesses, so I hope that they can improve there customer services so they can remain in business. People want and expect good accommodation for the money.

E.Mallory

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blackbutterfly58

Dear BlackButterfly,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay with us. Obviously, we are disheartened to learn that your experience fell short in any area.

We are working hard at improving customer relations as well as making necessary enhancements to the rooms and amenities. Hopefully, you will be pleasantly surprised by the time you try us again.

Again, thank you for your feedback - it is appreciated and will be used for training purposes so that we may not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm on a road trip through America, and this was one of my best stays ever. The price is phenomenal, considering that my room was beautiful; the bedding, luxurious; the location, charming; and the staff, welcoming.

Michelle greeted me before I even laid eyes on her. She had me checked in within five minutes, although it could have been shorter. It took so long because her engagement entreated me to share myself in friendship.

Lisa, my new favorite bartender girlfriend, was funny and entertaining. She introduced me to the locals and helped provide me with social outings to nearby clubs.

I selected this place because of location; I love river walks. It is my favorite form of road trip exercise, and I throughly enjoyed my walks along the river. Belle Isle is also nearby--worth a visit.

This place is my new Detroit home.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank TrippingJulie
MVRJR, Owner at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Julie,

Thank you so much for sharing with us about your wonderful experience at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel! We love to hear from our guests and were especially pleased that your visit was everything you had hoped for.

We do have a great staff that truly wants you to have the best hotel and area experience you can have and it sounds like Michelle did a great job of making sure you were taken care. We think she's pretty special, too.

Julie, we look forward to having you back again in the near future and again - thank you for letting us know how we did! We appreciate your business!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel and I had a less than favorable experience. However, Once I brought my concerns to the attention of the proper party, they made sure that my concerns were forwarded to those that could address them satisfactory. I wont name names, but a very big show of appreciation goes out to those on the Management Team that took the time and effort to bring my experience to a joyous conclusion!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mo H
RobertsCompanies, Management Team at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

We would like to thank you for allowing us to earn your business again.

Sharonda

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We chose this hotel because my daughter wanted to get married and in the D.
Reservations were made for 10 rooms in January for a July wedding. The sales lady was very nice and accommodating and made lots of promises including a shuttle bus before and after the wedding for our guests. We ultimately booked over 20 rooms and added a morning brunch for 50 guests. Everything went downhill from here.
Upon check-in we found the lines long because there was only one lady at the front desk. The carpet was dirty, the elevator didn't work correctly, the rooms were disheveled, parts of the bathtub and sink were broken. All this was added to the maintenance list, however maintenance never showed up. The parking lot was a joke, gravel with potholes and very small. Valet parking was supposed to be included to our guests however each one of them was charged $7. The next morning several of our guests could not find their cars. The keys were just thrown in a pile at the front desk. The shuttle bus driver who was also the assistant manager was almost nonexistent. Many of the wedding guests had to hire their own taxis to return them to the hotel. I hired the limo for an additional two hours to return the wedding party.
The morning after caused problems when the elevator was broken for three and half hours. The food at the brunch for 50 guests was ok but we had to continually ask for more coffee more eggs more bacon more of everything. The two servers seemed indifferent and we're not accommodating to our needs. I was shocked when I received my bill for the brunch and noticed a 21% gratuity.
We ultimately spoke to the sales lady who suggested we write a letter to the assistant vice president. We wrote the letter detailing all the problems and have not received any reply. We followed up several times with no reply. It has now been two months, still no answers.
For your own peace of mind go elsewhere, DO NOT frequent place.
I gave it at one star review so I could post this even though it deserved none.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Wolfman090

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent visit to our historic hotel.

Please accept our apologies. We have recently invested in additional training for our staff and are already seeing improvements and will continue to strengthen this key area. We apologize that your experience was less than desirable but assure you your input is very valuable to us and we will use your feedback for additional training purposes.

We hope you will give us another try during your next visit to our exciting city!

Sharonda

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We requested a room with functioning air conditioning, the first room did not. It also had kicked in closet doors, a horrible musty odor and extremely unwelcoming overall look. The second room was much better, the air worked but the parties going on outside below the room until midnight left us unable to sleep. In the morning as we tried to shower we found FREEZING COLD WATER, not tepid, not slightly warm, FREEZING COLD. Mold and mildew in the shower around all fixtures certainly didn't help. A little bleach could go a long way. The staff is terrific but the place is awful.

Room Tip: My tip would be to stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Hello DiceandDux,

We have recently invested in additional training for the housekeeping department and are already seeing improvements and will continue to strengthen this key area. We apologize that your experience was less than desirable but assure you your input is very valuable to us and we will use your feedback for additional training purposes.

Judy