“Almost, but no.”

Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Worthington, Ohio
“Almost, but no.”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I want to say good things, the staff was very nice, but they seem like this is their first day in a hotel. We were there as part of a wedding party. There were little problems with things like having a toilet paper holder or a working shower in our room and big problems like the management releasing rooms for the wedding party that were reserved on credit cards in advance. The location is lovely and if they had driveways that were not chuckhole strewn and a totally inadequate parking area with only the illusion of security, it could be a great place. After spending the previous night in a Hilton Garden that was excellent, we were disappointed in the Roberts. Other little things like having you sit down for registration but having a big computer monitor between you and the desk staff so you can barely see them or hear them with two different TV's on either side of the lobby making noise adds to the confusion. These folks have great potential but things like releasing the rooms and then having the MANAGER being out running the shuttle so no one there could make a decision, is unconscionable. These folks need to work six months in a Hilton and they could know what would make this a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Riverfront has great views. Its location is its best feature.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank smmiller57

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I found this hotel on booking.com and of course checked here for everyone elses review before I booked, I was a bit nervous as some people had said bad things - I mainly ended up staying here based on price as I didn't want to be spending over $150 as I was only staying 1 night and booking had a good deal.

The location of the hotel was a bit out of the way of the main city area and the public transport was an absolute night mare so I ended up walking back and forwards to the city - it took about half an hour each way.

My room was fine - my only complaint would be that I only got one pillow but by the time I had realised I didn't really want to trek back to the front desk as it was late.

I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful - we asked to leave our luggage there twice and for a ride to the station and they we're more than accommodating on both requests. On the way back to the bus station the driver even took us on a little detour to Michigan Station as we'd not had a chance to see it.

There were no food options I saw in the immediate vicinity (I didn't try the hotels bar) but there was an iHop and some convenience stores up on the main road (Jefferson) about 10 minutes walk.

I'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on a high floor facing the river when I booked. I got the 2nd floor facing a car...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Hi Helen!

Thanks so much for posting a great review on our behalf! We're so glad your stay at our charming, historic hotel was as it should be - clean, comfortable and convenient. So glad to hear our shuttle driver was so accommodating - we love it when we're able to do the little extras to help make your stay more enjoyable.

And thank you for acknowledging our great staff - they do try hard to please and compliments like yours will make their day!

We look forward to seeing you again next time you're in town!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I recently visited the city with my family reunion and booked thru Hotels.com who made promises that they could not keep. Upon our arrival, the front desk informed us that Hotels.com is out of the country and not on the ground on site. I was upset however, that I was able to go online to get a cheaper rate than what the hotel gave my family reunion host. Nevertheless, the rate they gave me they actually paid the hotel much less.
The hotel is an older structure and need more updating. Do not look for amenities b/c you won't find any. The place is dark and some rooms do not have AC. Never stayed at a hotel where staff was immune to complaints. They could care less. Altho I did make a friend with the assistant manager who was accomodating. The other staff could care less. Probably won't stay there again. Nice view tho. No vending

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Awfu
Hello and thanks so much for letting us know how your most recent stay was while in Detroit.

I apologize that your experience with Hotels.com was disappointing and there seemed to be some confusion about how the rates are structured; that's understandable as it "can" be confusing. Hotels.com promotes the same rates we offer at the hotel but our rates fluctuate throughout the year based on several different components. It's possible you made your reservation at a time when our rates were lower than when your family reunion was booked. It sounds like you were fortunate enough to get a lower rate.

We recently replaced the cooling towers for our hotel which has helped tremendously, however each room has its own compressor; some of them are in need of replacing and/or repairing which is what we are working on right now. I'm so sorry you were in a room with a malfunctioning system.

I am also truly sorry your experience with our staff was not a pleasant one; it is our goal to exceed customer expectations and we obviously fell short of that. Please accept our apologies and know that we will use your feedback as a training tool for our staff.

We do hope you will give us another try in the future. Once again thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Management Team

Travelers are raving about these Detroit hotels

Bridgeport, Connecticut
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I traveled to Detroit for my cousin's wedding for the 4th of July weekend. My entire family booked this hotel for our 3 night stay at this hotel so we had apx 11 rooms for this hotel. When we arrived from our travel the hotel look absolutely beautiful, as we were all amazed and that where it ended. 6 out of the 11 rooms had no working AC had to have rooms switch as my child has asthma so a cooler room would be a requirement to keep the asthma attacks lower.
Water pressure was very weak, some rooms had trash cans some did not, the rooms that had no working ac had fans in them. We called the front desk to fix the ac and they knew that it wasn't going to work and sent someone anyway to mess with the wall console to make us believe it was going to start working.
We had to change rooms which they did for us, then the rooms that the ac was working it was too cold at times, went and asked for extra blankets and they gave us one blanket. go figure they didn't have enough of extra blankets, with multiple people staying in a room we all wanted to be comfortable even with turning the ac down so everyone could be comfortable, it got quite chilly.
Our rooms were not cleaned either day we were there, we left for breakfast and went shopping and came back 4-5 hrs later and none of the 11 rooms were cleaned, we asked the front desk to send someone to clean and at least empty the trash in the rooms that had trash cans, but that did not happen. Also the next day nothing happened, saw the cleaning crew pretending to clean rooms we asked that they clean the rooms and make the beds (that's their job description) and they proceeded to say oh that's not my room to clean but I will tell your housekeeper that you requested it to be cleaned. We left again came back 4-5 hours later and nothing again was cleaned. So the next morning we checked out.
Also when my sister and I went to go change our room and and asked for a room that the ac was working in she had someone go check the room prior to giving the room to make sure the ac work, when he returned he said well the list of rooms where the ac isn't working is right here on this desk and she told him well its not on my desk if management wants me to know what rooms have working ac they should also put it on my desk.
They were very unprofessional, but tried their best to accomodate us.
I personally think that the owner of this hotel should shut down for a few months and have the hvac system repaired so that rooms in the summer can be cooled and warmed in the winter.
Also the elevators were not working and we had to walk up stairs with tons of luggage.
very inconvient.
we shortened our stay to 2 nights at this hotel and we canceled our last night stay and opted for another hotel downtown detroit with working everything, ac, tv, elevator and trash cans in every room.
The best thing this hotel had was the fruit infused water and the riverwalk.
I could complain more but I think every one gets my drift, do not stay here unless u want a view of the riverwalk. Otherwise choose some where more accomodating or save your money and stay in your car... TERRIBLE I WILL NEVER STAY HERE ANOTHER NIGHT IN MY LIFE..... VERY DISAPPOINTED

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if you want a good room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jess G
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, August 16, 2013
Hi Jess!

Please accept our most sincere apologies for what sounds like a pretty bad experience at our hotel.

Thank you for acknowledging the staff that did try hard to please you or to turn the situation(s) around; we do have a great group of associates here! And we apologize for not getting your rooms cleaned and in a timely manner!

Being a historic hotel, there's lot of charm and character to behold but non-functioning a/c units should not be one of them - we are so sorry you were placed in a room with one that was not working! We have replaced the cooling towers which does help keep the building cool, but unfortunately some of the individual a/c units need additional tlc which we are in the processing of tending to.

Again, please accept our apologies but we do hope you will change your mind and give us another try in the future.

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I like to be really positive about Detroit because it's my favorite city and I love excuses to stay there. I usually stay at the Westin Book Cadillac, but I also frequent hostels when overseas, I'm by no means a hotel-snob. I hestitated to use Priceline to book a hotel for 8/6 but lacking other options, we decided to take the risk. And were bitterly disappointed.

I called ahead to assure that this was a room with double beds, since there were three of us, one of which is a picky sleeper. The woman on the phone told me that there were no rooms available with double beds. I went on the hotel website, and saw that I could still clearly book a room with double beds. I also asked if they had any cots or roll away mattresses. She said yes, and I asked to reserve one, and she said it wouldn't be a problem for me to get one once I got there. Well, you can guess how this story ends. One bed. No roll-away beds available.

They brought some extra pillows and a burroughed myself a little nest on the floor and slept fine, despite it. We work up to a room that was steamy! A/C did not work at all. Despite pumping it at full blast, didn't cool off, even one degree. Good thing it was a cool night, it was still exhuastingly hot. We ended up having to open the windows and woke up with mosquito bites galore. No screens.

We were looking forward to breakfast, but all that was left was muffins, so we opted to go buy breakfast. Lesson learned, we should have taken the $30 we spent on taxis getting back and forth to the hotel and the $20 spent on breakfast and stayed at a nicer spot.

I wish this hotel the best, because it is BEAUTIFUL! I loved the boutique feel in the hallways and foyer and the old fixtures in the rooms. Just pretty please, put some money into upgrading, the A/C system and get some extra beds, and please don't punish people who use third party website. I'm guessing they are the better part of your business.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emily M
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Hi Emily,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience with our hotel! It sounds like we fell short in a few areas and that is something we never want to do!

You're right though, our historical hotel is beautiful but as with many old, historic buildings the upkeep can be well, challenging to keep up with. We did just recently repair the cooling towers which has helped various sections of the hotel and are still working through the room a/c issues at this moment. We're sorry you were in a room with a malfunctioning unit and with the wrong bed type as well.

We very much value your input and are taking your suggestions on improvements seriously. Hopefully, you will give us another try in the near future.

Austin, Texas, United States
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We were a little apprehensive after reading some recent reviews, but were glad we took the chance. Nicely appointed historic hotel right on the river. Granted, it still needs some more TLC, but has the furnishings and feel of an Omni (which it was before) or a Marriot. We went when they weren't full (no Tiger game, eg) and the staff was friendly and helpful. The area is in transition. Lots of empty building nearby, but also some new loft type residences and a nice updated riverwalk area. Our room was clean and everything worked. It was comfortable. And finally, you can't beat the rate.

Room Tip: River view is worth it!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi Bob!

Thanks for the "thumbs up" review - we always appreciate it when our guests take the time to let us know how their stay was.

It sounds like you enjoyed the charming river front district just as much as we do! What a great place to work, live or play, right?

We're glad you decided to give us a try and now realize how comfy, clean and convenient we are AND with a value you can't pass up!

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here 8/6/13 for one night while in town for a concert. We did not want to spend $200 on a hotel room for the night, so I bid in Priceline and ended up with Riverwalk for $85 for the night. I was uneasy because of the terrible reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised!

Clean room (in fact smelled a little strongly of cleaning products), clean bathroom, staff was friendly from what interaction I had with them. Also, a nice large flat screen TV in the room.

What really impressed me was that they provided a shuttle to and from the concert (on a Tuesday night in which their shuttles normally only run until 5pm). We came back on the shuttle at 1am! The bar on site was having a concert after party for guests with discounted drink specials, we did not attend, but I thought it was a nice idea. We were not bothered by any noise or temperature issues like previous posters had experienced.

We are very easy going travelers-I would recommend this place to like-minded people. If you prefer to stay somewhere with a lot of amenities I would go somewhere else.

This place is a solid 3 star. Not the best choice if you're looking for anything upscale, but perfect place to stay a night or two for a good price.

Also the view of the river was absolutely beautiful!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Jservick
MVRJR, Manager at Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hi and thanks so much for the great review - we love it when our guests take the time to let us know how we did!

Thank you for recognizing our great customer service and clean hotel - and you're right; the value is the best in town! We're glad you got to take advantage of the free shuttle service, too - it sounds like they did a great job taking care of you and that's what we love to hear!!

Thanks again for letting us know about your visit to our hotel and we do hope we'll see you again in the very near future.