“Roberts Riverwalk is Right On!”

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel Detroit
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed June 14, 2012

For the past three years, I always seem to come back to this private oasis on the Detroit River. The staff has a sense of humor, the hotel restaurant cuisine is impeccable, and the hotel's historic significance make this riverfront hotel an exceptional home away from home. One last thing - the hotel rates are right on the money!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Beautiful hotel with a friendly staff, however most of the things they offer are extremely limited. For example, they have a shuttle but it only runs every couple of hours. They have a continental breakfast that is little more than muffins and coffee, but they try to get you to buy food from their totally understaffed lounge. Don't do it. Its barely edible. There were no bathrobes, and we had to to request clean sheets when we arrived. Our room was never vacuumed or restocked with towels. The internet service is spotty at best. The double rooms are huge but dont have microwaves or refrigerators. They have a riverwalk that connects with downtown, except it was blocked off during our visit, which no one seemed aware of, since they recommended we walk that way to get to Hart Plaza
Over all I would say its an ok hotel, but not worth $100/night.

Room Tip: get a double. the singles are only about a quarter of the size, and make sure you request a fridge a...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank earleyyourmean
Reviewed May 25, 2012

PROS:

- It's not located downtown where all of the attractions are but was right on the river that seperates the US from Canada. If you go out the hotel lobby doors you are on the boardwalk. The boardwalk is a nice, well kept, 5 mile concrete stretch where you can walk along the water. It was a really nice day and my mom & walked for quite a ways & never felt like our safety
was in jeopardy. There were other people walking their dogs & riding bikes.

- What I liked best about this place is that the hotel has a shuttle that will drop you off and pick you up anywhere you want downtown which was awesome! We had "Vince" drop us off at MotorCity Casino & pick us up @ Hockeytown about 5 hrs later. All we had to do is call him and he came within 10 mins. We tipped him $4 each way since the ride was free.

- Parking is free & is out back on the old tennis courts. Its fenced in and our cars were fine overnight.

CONS:

- this hotel was pretty loud. talking/laughing/hollering/doors slamming in the hallways all hours of the night.

- theres an elevator but you still have to haul your luggage up and down the stairs which was difficult with your hands full.

- rooms could have been cleaner. I noticed a smear of blood on the wallpaper next to the toilet. yuck! And a little shampoo cap from the last guest sitting up on the shower ledge with black hair wrapped around it. Yuck again!

- I had absolutely NO cell phone signal in our room which was pretty irritating. As soon as I stepped outside of the building, I had full bars of service. It didn't make a difference when I tried connecting to their wi-fi either. It'd connect for 10 secs and then gone again. Must be some sort of interference in the rooms? This place used to be a pharmaceutical
building back in the day so who knows.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Heather O
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for three nights. We really enjoyed it. The hotel is an historical building located directly on the riverfront and therefore has access to the Detroit River Walk, one of Detroit's best-kept secrets. The front desk staff were personable and helpful. The rooms were very big and bright. I slept better in this bed than I do at home! The building has a lot of character and history. Despite being an older building, everything was still clean and updated. I appreciated the free parking in a gated lot with an overnight security guard. The hotel is in what was once an industrial warehouse district; however, it's obvious the area has been going through changes and many of the old warehouses have been converted into beautiful lofts. This hotel was a delightful surprise and I would consider it a hidden gem of Detroit! Would stay here again in a second!

Room Tip: Definitely get a river view room!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TheRealKatieWest
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Nice quiet location, free parking, friendly staff, clean room, great price. No complaints. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: This was one of the few hotels we found that had two queen beds in a room, instead of two doubles.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2012

This hotel was once the Parke Davis & Company building on the waterfront that overlooks the river and Windsor, Canada. A LOT of work had been done to outside property and the 1+ mile walkway just outside the hotel is fantastic. The inside is a mix of restored 'old' and new. We thought it was beautiful. The room we got (423) had large windows that overlooked the river. It had a nice large (40 inch?) LCD TV, good bed, desk, and large (old) bathroom that was fully functional (tub, shower, large sink, lots of mirrors). We had no issues at all with the room, service or neighbor noise.

They have a nice outdoor seating area that we used in the late morning (might be used by the restaurant?) and enjoyed a nice walk in the the sunny 62 degree morning. They provided a very limited free breakfast (muffins, oranges, apples, bananas, orange juice and coffee). They do have a restaurant for breakfast lunch and dinner but we did not use it. The 'lobby' had a LCD TV, free papers and lots of nice chairs to sit in to watch TV or look out the windows at the waterfront.

Overall, for the super deal we got name your own price on a major website) we were very happy.

Room Tip: Best rooms face east and have a view of the waterfront.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Frank-in-MI
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here in early April for the Tigers Home Opener, two nights. It is a short 5 min $5 cab ride from all downtown attractions. (Or free shuttle during shuttle hours - worked for us 2 out of 3 times)
This Hotel is in an old building that has been re-done - but updated and clean. Service was good. I was super hung-over and passed out so I did not hear any noise from the hallway. (So it was quiet - important to me/ I am a light sleeper) Bed was comfortable - room was large.
The hot water was broken on our first morning - they gave us a free nights stay for a future date and a free breakfast that day. (I thought that was awesome service - stuff happens) I have always paid $60 more to stay in Greektown or casino locations - this was fine - 5 min ride as apposed to 5 min walk.

Stay here with confidence! Take it from a guy who stays in Detroit 2-3 times a year that this place is worth the money - and is nice. I booked on Hotwire and was a little leery that it is 3/4 mile further down the road but it ended up fine.

Room Tip: River View was nice
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends