“Hostel Detroit - Check it out for sure”
Review of Hostel Detroit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Detroit
Hostel Detroit
Seattle, Washington
“Hostel Detroit - Check it out for sure”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

OK first of all don't be afraid to visit Detroit. Its a cool city with lots to offer. Hostel Detroit Is fantastic. Great location, great staff, comfy beds and a great place to meet fellow travelers. What more could you ask for?

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank DSHAUS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
berlin
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Hostel Detroit is a hostel, that is true. It has beds and a kitchen, a floor or two, and all the things that make you say, hmm, I'm pretty sure I'm in a hostel right now. But if you think that's all that makes a hostel great then you obviously have never been to Hostel Detroit, and you should go there, now. Stop reading this review and just go. It's that awesome.

But if you must continue reading, I will tell you a little about the place. The staff is amazing and hilarious, and if you don't have fun with them it's probably because you're not very much fun and maybe even have some anxiety issues that you should get checked out (just kidding!). The rooms are super cozy, the beds are extremely sturdy, the pillows very pillowly (in the best kind of way). The River Rouge room is highly recommended...oh yes, what is that? The whole hostel has different historical themes? That's right. Prepare to be educated in your fabulously comfortable room.

Overall, best hostel/hotel experience I've EVER had. Also, Taylor is incredibly awesome, so say hi to her and try not to be intimidated by her immense knowledge of Detroit and sheer coolness.

John

2 Thank John C
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Finding a hostel in Detroit is not easy. However, once you search for it on Google this one will pop up. It's probably the only hostel in Detroit and it's soooo amazing! When I arrived the night manager welcomed me, showed me around the hostel.

Compared to other hostels you feel much more home in it. I had friendly guests, the night manager was awesome, the common room is fun and I like the decoration around the hostel too!

2 Thank Jorgo M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2013

So, so good. The place is clean, safe, has lots of small detials to really make you feel at home and comfortable. Its cheap, but doesnt feel like it. The staff run tours of the D and are brilliant people,(shout out to Kevin, Jeff, Sam and Summer) i ended up spending a good chunk of the ten days i had here with them and had the best holiday ever. Fully endorse this place, and Detroit. Both rule.

santa monica
Reviewed August 18, 2013

i'd like to reiterate what i told jeff and kevin of Hostel Detroit, that it is probably the best hostel which i've experienced in recent memory. the place is truly unique, and the part they're're playing is helping detroit to get back on its feet and to catalyze the rebirth of the city is absolutely irreplaceable.

the staff are friendly, helpful, and well informed about the city and its neighborhoods, city tours, and local events. the tour with Kevin was totally awesome. we were introduced to aspects of the city it would have been difficult to find out about otherwise. it's clean, homey, comfy, and well located. they rent bikes also, which is a good way to get around the city.

thanks again for an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tbrown3153
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed here when the city didnt have any other rooms available because of a big event. The only good things about this place are: 1.) you may get to meet some foreign people (French/German when we were there), 2.) the cost; 3.) the location is okay (we were able to easily walk into the main Corktown area); and 4.) the art/decor on the first floor of the place is totally awesome.
Other than that, there was not anything redeeming about the hostel. The room where we slept wasn't as dirty as the rest of the place. We got our own sheets and made the bed so I wasnt completely skived out. But the rest of the facilities were ABSOLUTELY disgusting and filthy. I was afraid to touch anything. The trash in the kitchen was overflowing onto the floor including old food. The coffee maker still had grounds in it with mold growing on it. The refrigerator was down right nasty. The kitchen looked like it had NEVER been cleaned. The bathroom was dirty and also covered in glitter (presumably someone's makeup). I went home with glitter all over me just from using the toilet and without brushing my teeth or washing up. In the common areas right outside the rooms, there were the remnants of a really great party with beer bottles and trash all over the table.
Even though it was cheap, I would not stay here again. It was too gross. I am not sure how anyone could live like that. It seems like some of the people present lived at the hostel. I know the hostel has rates to allow longer term stays.
The concept is really cool and the first floor has great art and decor. I wish this place would get its act together.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank trav3llov3r
Taylor K, Manager at Hostel Detroit, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I am so sorry that you had a bad experience! We have changed managers twice since last October and have made a number of improvements to the hostel. I assure you that cleanliness is one of our top priorities! If you should ever visit Detroit again, please contact me at reservations@hosteldetroit.com and reference this post for a free night's stay. Best wishes, Taylor (Hdet Mgmt)
Michigan
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My son and I stayed here in March just after the hostel had reopened for the season. Overall we were pleased. The staff was friendly and helpful, as were our fellow guests. We rented the private room with bunk beds and had a good night's sleep. The bathroom was fine, albeit a bit dingy ... it could use some better lighting. We didn't use the kitchen but it appeared to be clean and well-stocked. Some good-looking photographs/artwork on the walls of the hostel.

The area surrounding the hostel is, well, Detroit: Large portions of it are abandoned and overgrown with weeds, but it's fascinating in an eerie sort of way. Some areas are being renovated and reclaimed as urban gardens. It's a great place to explore portions of the city, although you'll want to use common sense. We parked our car on the street and had no problems.

It's also within walking or easy biking distance to the old Michigan Central train station, Mexicantown, Slow's BBQ (and other good restaurants and bars .... Mercury's, Nancy Whiskey's...) and John King's rare books store.

The only real problem we had was trying to reserve a room online. The system had a lot of glitches, so I hope they've worked those out. Check it out if you're looking for cheap, decent lodging in the heart of the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family