“Far surpassed my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hostel Detroit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Detroit
Hostel Detroit
North Vancouver, Canada
“Far surpassed my expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

One of the best and most unique hostels I have ever stayed at out of 25 different hostels in Europe and North america. There are lots of lounge areas with leather sofas and antique chairs, lots of bathrooms, and, surprisingly, lots of kitchens. The dorm rooms were very spacious and contained chairs, lamps and end tables-sort of like living rooms with beds in them.The beds were very comfortable- above average for a hostel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Security was good-no issues with door code ( it was e mailed well ahead of time and worked just fine, although you can create your own personal one).Overall, a very relaxed, casual, homey kind of vibe.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We've stayed in many hostels, mostly in Asian countries and they were always safe and clean.
Hostel Detroit was no different. It is located near the Detroit Tiger's old baseball stadium near Corktown. The area may seem rough and dangerous, but the hostel is pretty secluded. You can see downtown Detroit and the motor city casino from the hostel. It's in walking distance from Corktown (area with several bars and restaurants), Slows BBQ (well worth the wait), a short taxi ride away from downtown Detroit, and you can rent bicycles from a near by company.
I would stay here again and recommend it to anyone.
There weren't many people staying there at the same time as us, so we had the whole hostel to ourselves basically.
When we arrived, we were greeted by a person that runs the place and showed us everything we needed to know about the hostel and how to get around the city.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Knoxville, Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I've stayed in over 20 hostels in as many countries, and this is by far the worst experience I've ever had. I had to wait 20 minutes to get anyone to talk to me. The person was glued to their laptop while I was trying to be shown to my room. First, I was told my room was locked and they didn't have a key. I'm sorry, say wha? Then, after about another 10-15 minutes of waiting, I was told that wasn't my room. My room was somewhere else. Was I shown this somewhere else? No, I was flatly asked, while waiting to be taken to my room, "What are you doing right now?" Is this a joke I'm not in on? I'M WAITING TO BE SHOWN MY ROOM...YOU KNOW, THE ONE I PAID FOR??? This person then fumbled around a little longer, asked if I wanted a locker, and I told them I was not sure my stuff would fit. I was told to get my stuff to see if it would fit. Upon my return from fetching my stuff, the "staff member" "helping me" had vanished. I finally flagged down someone else (a guest, friend, no idea) and asked how I would go about finding exactly where I am staying for the evening. I finally got to my room about 45 minutes or so after arrival. I was not pleased.

I was given no blanket on a fairly chilly evening (my other roommates had blankets), and, of course, no one was around to ask for one. I had to use my clothes to keep me warm.

Bathroom is gross. Not even from a hospitality standpoint. It's just gross. If you went to your friend's house and used their bathroom and it looked like this, you'd be like, "Dude. Seriously, clean your bathroom. Now." Upon checkout, no one was around. It's unclear to me from their website if there is an actual staff that's ever there.

There were children everywhere!! I have no idea if they were staying there, there because someone who 'works' there had them. No idea, but there were hoards of children in this hostel.

Three good things about the hostel: The sleeping quarters themselves are fine. The neighborhood is safe (by Detroit standards). The fellow lodgers were super nice.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank WanderingGnome8
Taylor K, Manager at Hostel Detroit, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your bad experience! We are under new management and we've tried to streamline the check-in process to avoid these mistakes (we send room assignments ahead of time, write them on the front board, keep keys in the door to the room and have spares, all linens on the bed, extra blankets available, etc.). If you ever visit Detroit again please contact me at reservations@hosteldetroit.com and reference this post for a free night's stay. Best wishes, Taylor (Hdet Mgmt)
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Seems such a nice place, people will inform you and give you tips, you can rent a bike!!! AWESOME!!! So there I was at first the taxi driver didn't want to drop me off supposidly dangerous well it is not. So i walked to the door. Code sent by mail to open the door did NOT work. Started to rain (not their fault of course). They gave a cell phone number to call. NO ANSWER, rang 10 times, was being pushed away. NICE!!!! In the middle of nowhere in Detroit raining, in the slumps of Detroit with my luggage. Luckily a other guest came and opened the door for me. I called again sent an email. NOTHING nobody there. Had no idea what room I had so just went into one. Nobody there to give me this amazing insight in Detroit which was promissed. Nobody there to rent a bike from. I only stayed one day. But I responded later on their facebook page, then I got the response that they didn't take kindly to people who just stay there!!!!
Moral of the story, they don't do what they promise since NOBODY was there!!!! Was an adventure... wish i hadn't pay for it!!!

Room Tip: Dont go long way from city center and promise things they dont keep
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jo1978SY
Taylor K, Manager at Hostel Detroit, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
I am sorry that you had a bad experience at our hostel! We are under new management and we've tried our best to make improvements to avoid problems like these. To any potential visitors reading this post: If the door code does not work, first make sure to hit the # after the numbers. If this still does not work, double check the valid hours for your code. Unless you've noted an earlier arrival time, the code will be set to our earliest check in time (1 PM) and end at approximately 7 PM the day you check-out. If it is after 9 PM and you have not indicated a late check-in and nobody picks up the phone, you can knock on the window to the left of the door, which is the live-in night manager's bedroom window.

As for bikes, rentals are done everyday from 12-2 PM. If you'd like to arrange a rental at another time, please contact bikes@hosteldetroit.com and Joe or Ken will make sure to be here for you.

If you would like an ambassador tour, please contact us ahead of time so that we can schedule something with one of our volunteers. Also note that Kevin, our lead ambassador, gives tours every Saturday morning. For other information on the city and tour opportunities, please visit the "Links" page on our website.

I apologize again for all the trouble you encountered. If you visit Detroit again, please contact me at reservations@hosteldetroit.com and reference this post for a free night's stay. Best wishes, Taylor (Hdet Mgmt)
Houghton, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We stayed at the Hostel one night before an interview downtown. We had regrettably little time here, but what a cozy and comfortable space with character, comfortable beds, a nice kitchen, open Internet station, and lots of local resources -- and a great value -- works the way a hostel should! We met several other travelers while we were there. The neighborhood is quite vacant with empty lots and rundown buildings near the I-75 highway, which might make some visitors feel uncomfortable if they're unaccustomed to cities, but we felt safe there. The hostel has a lot of visible connections with their neighbors and talking to the manager over the phone put any doubts to rest. (We parked the car behind the fence overnight, just as a precaution, and had absolutely no issues. We couldn't stay long enough to get a feel for going by foot/bus.) Check-in was a little bit strange -- we had to call twice to get the door-code, because we had already left when the email was sent -- but just a minor glitch, and we arrived a little late (8 pm) so no staff was there. We were glad to stay here, though, and we applaud Hostel Detroit's concrete efforts toward community building!

Room Tip: We stayed in a private double which was upstairs in a second apartment area. Comfortable and good va...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Ducky T
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Hostel Detroit was a breath of fresh air and the staff was wonderful. I was beaten up and robbed at The Heidelberg Project, and they helped me get to the bus stop and call my credit card companies, etc.. I really appreciated their kindness when I was down and out. I wish I had known ahead of time just how dangerous the area around the Heidelberg project was (a friend just said not to go at night). If you visit, drive a car (I took the bus) get out for a minute, and get back in.

Back to the hostel. All the walls are painted in cheerful colors, the door room bunk beds are some of the nicest I've seen. There is a back yard/grill area, it's walking distance to town, and there are also a few nice lounge rooms and a large kitchen. The owner lives on the premises as well.

The downside is there are hard wood floors throughout and they have kids so you can hear them running around all the time on the wood floors. Not a big deal, but it added to some background noise if you are trying to sleep in.

Overall, great little oasis. I will never visit Detroit again, but when I did I was glad I stayed here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank amberenergy84
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Trust me, you will love it here. So I arrived in Detroit in May for some reseach fieldwork for my doctorate. I had limited research funds and a colleague had found Hostel Detroit online and suggested it. I was apprehensive at first about the prosepect of shared space for an extended period but before you arrive they send you all the info you need and a friendly introductory email. On Arrival I was met by Michel, Kamil and Kat who were variously cleaning, chilling on the picnic benches and helping other guests. From the moment I arrived (and got on the very good free wifi) I felt relaxed and in a friendly environment. The hostel is putting down roots in the community so when you tell bpole in the neighbourhood where you are staying they all have a good word to say. Decor inside is.... mmmm don't want to label it as I am no art/style expert and nothing I can say can capture the way the volunteers and staff have made this into such a funky, quirky sopace that still feels homely and welcoming. So the building is clean and fun and colourful but the staff make this place so incredible. I was taken to play soccer, invited to help with the community garden, cooked a funky mexican breakfast, taken around the city and generally treat like a celebrity. This is an experience you cant buy, and because it's priceless they do most of this stuff because they love the city and they are great people. If you want to sit in a corner and read a book quietly that's more than cool too. It's not a big party hostel in my view. Sure we had a couple of beers and a grill in the garden one night but for the whole of my stay no frat boys ever rolled in drunk, no music was played loud and everybody the place attracted tended to be considerate, interesting and kind. I really hope they keep attracting the clientele they have now as when I return to do more research in the area that is where I will be staying. And what higher praise can you give? On a practical note the bikes they hire out are really useful for gtting around. The immediate neighbourhood feels more like the countryside than innercity USA. EVERYONE I met whilst in Detroit was friendly, I NEVER felt unsafe on the street and the people of the midwest could learn a thing or two about the value of community and creativity by spending a little time here. OH and if you get chance, walk over the bridge to near the central station (5mins) and go eat at 'Slows'. Thank you to the staff at Hostel Detroit... may your clientele stay cool, your garden grow well, and your bookings keep coming.

Room Tip: The semi private and private rooms only cost a little more and are quieter than the dorm BUT the dor...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business