“A little pricey but tasty....”
Review of Wah-Hoo Chinese - CLOSED

Wah-Hoo Chinese
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Good for: Large groups
Reviewed September 10, 2015

It's hard to find a great miso soup, however these guys have figured it out. It's the real deal dashi (kombu+Bonita flake broth) and a nice complement of miso, tofu, and veggies. I'm a meat eater, but this is a vegan soup that is great whatever your taste buds like. The other items on the menu follow suit. You will pay for a bit high priced lunch, however you won't be disappointed with the food.

Reviewed April 23, 2015

We've been meeting in Detroit for three years in anticipation of a big event, and each time we are here we try to get to Wah-Hoo. The food is very good and their sushi selection is exceptionally tasty according to my friends. It gets crowded for lunch, so come early or a little later than the business crowd if you can. We had a group of nine this time and they accommodated us just fine. Staff are friendly and welcoming and it has a nice vibe to boot. It's a nice walk away from the Ren Center and the Westin Book Cadillac, convenient to COBO too.

I recommend the sweet and sour shrimp for lunch. It's a nice lunch portion that won't leave you hungry (or put you into a food coma).

Reviewed January 26, 2015

We were visiting Detroit for the auto show, and this was the first restaurant that we found on foot. The waiter was very kind offering to allow me to borrow his phone charger while we ate! He advised us that appetizers were half price so we got the pot stickers and teriyaki wings. Both were tasty! For the main dishes, we had almond chicken and the mei fun curry rice noodle dish whose name is in Chinese on the menu. The almond chicken was fried chicken in a brown sauce that I thought was just OK. The mei fun dish, however, was very tasty with a hint of spiciness. I wanted to try their sushi, but we were very full having plenty left over to take home. The restaurant itself is very clean with a nice bar and sports playing on the TVs. I did try to just now pull up their online menu to check prices but my virus protection blocked it. I would say the meals were a good value for a downtown location.

Reviewed January 16, 2015

I understand this is a great sushi restaurant. I did not know that and am not a fan of sushi. It didn't matter the food was good, the prices were fair and the service was something similar to what you might expect at your favorite watering hole. They are very down to earth and friendly in spite of their renown.
I started with the miso soup which was quite tasty. My entree was General Tso's Chicken on fried rice. I'm not a huge fan of the deep fried method of preparing this dish and the chicken chunks were a bit overdone at that. The wonderful spicy sauce made up for the slightly over fried chicken chunks.
This is definitely a restaurant I will return to when I am back in Detroit.

Reviewed December 5, 2014

Wah-Hoo is one of the best sushi restaurants in the Detroit area. The Nico, Philadelphia and California rolls are very tasty--some of the best I've ever had. Their Chinese dishes are just o.k. I'd highly suggest trying this restaurant for Happy Hour so you can work your way around the menu and find what you like without spending full price. There is a dish that is soooooooo good--it's called Walnut Shrimp and it's not on the menu. If you order that, they'll know I sent you. :-)