“Horrible smell, horrible food!”
Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,172 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed March 31, 2010

As we entered the restaurant, the smell of disinfectant about knocked us over. We asked to sit in the side room to get away from the smell. The service was slow to poor, the food was sub par but the price was high! We all got sick that evening and we only shared the calamari. We each ordered different items and thought they were on the same level as Olive Garden and Taco Bell. I think if I lost my sense of smell and sense of taste I would still never go back! Terrible, just terrible. And it's not cheap since each item is priced separately. To go to such a bad area of Detroit, they need to do much better!

Reviewed February 27, 2010

Great food and margaritas with a friendly staff. What a gem....

Reviewed January 12, 2010

We did not let the dicey surrounding area scare us away, and we found a small diamond in the rough in El Barzon!
A couple guys with reflective vests showed us where to park on the street, helped the women out of the vehicle and acted as 'safety boys' as we crossed to the restaurant - a complimentary service, though they were grateful for the tip. This place was packed when we arrived so reservations for an evening meal are recommended. The wait staff tended to us with a smile. The beverage manager is interesting & most knowledgeable about the wines.
Warm tortilla chips and fresh guacamole and salsa were brought immediately to the table with water (you will need to ask for more water). The caprese salad was delicious with our wine, but I missed the fresh bread because only two slices were placed out for our group of four. I enjoyed chicken breast with lemon sauce and capers sautéed with white wine and a small side of flavor-popping spinach sautéed with lemon and garlic. The tiramisu dessert went well with my companion's steamy espresso. Unfortunately, my coffee was lukewarm.
All in all, the missteps were minor. The food, the atmosphere and the friendly faces were marvelous.