“Magic in Mex-Italian Menu”
Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 1,172 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A friend who is a picky eater treated me to a surprise dining experience prior to an event at the Opera House (approx 7 minutes away). The location appears to be a neighborhood bar. Tight lipped nobody said a word. Waiting for my reaction. I'm thinking... Well they must have the best tacos or burritos. We entered the location through their summer patio. I thought....hmmm this would be a great place for a summer party. A spacious area that must be beautiful in the summer. Surprise #1.

The interior is tastefully decorated. A fresh single rose on the table, linen napkins great start. The introduction by the server was impressively polite and attentive. Surprise #2...When I had a choice of three types of water, and a guest was asked can or bottle for a Coke, I knew it was going to be a great dining experience from that moment on. The menu has Italian fare mixed in with Mexican Pozole, Enchiladas and such. Items are pricey but worth every dime. The quality of the ingredients is evident. I had Chicken Marsala. Tried this in other restaurants but the Barzon uses top notch Marsala wine. You can taste the difference. The best ever! Real cream incorporated in the Duchess Potatoes. The side portions were relatively small, but the main dish was plentiful.

Sad to admit but the enchilada Barzon serves puts the neighboring Mexican restaurants to shame. If you like spicy .....this is absolutely smooth, with just enough bite trailing behind. The special Mexican Skirt Steak was served exactly the temperature requested. Libations are abundant with a fine selection.

Prior to leaving I peeked into the kitchen. The chef was rolling out homemade pasta. Mama Mia! Lasagna will be my next surprise.

This is the proverbial "you can't judge a book by it's cover" moment. I was delightfully surprised. Definitely will visit again and again. Can't wait for summer. The patio, mariachis and margaritas are waiting. 8)

Gated secure parking and entrance are in the back.
Bar area near original front for entrance.
Ask for Kathy for service with a smile.
Tip: Call for a reservation ask for table away from the kitchen for less noise and traffic.
Just minutes away from the Fox, Comerica Park, the Casino, Michigan Opera House

Enjoy!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Crammed in like sardines with a decible rating off the charts. The food? Start with a calamari and clam appetizer with 4 overcooked pieces. Out of 4 entrees 3 were just not good; cold, miniscule portions. Stay away from the "premium" margaritas @ $18.00 per.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Our first time at El Barzon, it came recommended from a co-worker. We were pleasantly surprised at how truly excellent everything was. Starting with the service - - our server was Victor, he was knowledgeable, professional and most pleasant - - we will ask for him again. The food. Oh my.....it was possibly the best meal we have ever had in a restaurant. We both ate from the Italian side, spaghetti with shrimp and veal piccatta. Amazing Amazing Amazing - it's that good. Atmosphere. Wow, the character in this building is beautiful, it's very cool. Try this restaurant - between the service and the food, you can't go wrong.

Parking is in the back of the restaurant in a fenced in lot.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We dined here Friday night. This is one of our favorite restaurants. Although pricey, the food is outstanding.
As we paid our bill, my husband commented "worth every penny". We had the sausage appetizer, two pasta dishes and an ice cream dessert. Each item was delicious. We consider this restaurant a place to go on a special occasion. It has never disappointed.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Start in Mexico with the homemade guacamole and then venture to Italy with the Bise de Pasta or Veal Chop. El Barzon does one of the best veal chops I have had out (I eat out a lot!). And don't forget to accompany your meal with a bottle of Tinto Pesquera - what an amazing wine!! The wait staff and management is top notch and is so attentive and welcoming. I love the guy in the parking lot "guarding" our cars! The addition of the outdoor eating this summer was spectacular!! Not in the best area but most definitely worth the trip for a great meal out.