“Horrible service, overpriced, and mediocre food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of El Barzon

El Barzon
Reserve with OpenTable
El Barzon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 1,098 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Italian, Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
“Horrible service, overpriced, and mediocre food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The patio is nice, but the service was almost non-existent and the food was poor and much too expensive.

• Visited August 2013

Madison Heights, Michigan
“I wanted to like it and even gave it a second chance but always trust your first instincts.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

Showed up at around 8:15 and was promptly greeted and seated. we had made reservations via Open Table. We were told there were no tables available outside but there were plenty inside. No problem we were hungry so any table was a good table.

We were immediately greeted with water and chips with hot and mild salsa. That was the last of the immediacies (if that is even a word). We sat for an extraordinary amount of time before a waiter arrived and when he did he apologized for the wait so they knew there was a problem from the start. I am a big fan of not seating a guest unlesss you are able to service that guest adequately. I would have rather sat at the door waiting on a table than be seated and ignored.

Waiter took our drink order and came back in a semi reasonable amount of time with the drinks. We then ordered. My wife finished her drink and the glass sat for 15 minutes or so with nobody to come by and ask if she would like another. My glares caught a managers eye who stopped by to see if everything was OK. Told her my wife needed a drink. She said that she would tell our waiter.

Wine came and again we waited. After 1 hour with no food and only chips and salsa I talked to a manager and told him we were still waiting on our meals. The manager said he would check on things but we never heard back. 5 minutes later the waiter came out with two complementary bowls of soup and an explanation that a couple of big parties backed things up. After 1.5 hours and no food in sight I dropped $30 for the wine and walked out. Two managers watched this happen and no attempt was made to keep us. In retrospect I should not have paid for the wine but I just wanted out of there.

We witnessed this happen with another couple also. They were smart and left long before us. Funny thing is we saw them in another restaurant after this one. At least both of us had food in front of us at this new place. See my review of Ottava Via.

We wanted to like it as I have read rave reviews about the food and everything else. We went to this place right after it opened and experienced the exact same terrible service. We won't be giving this one another chance.

Visited August 2013
Fowlerville, Michigan
“Beyond GREAT!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to myself and friends while visiting Giovannis (#1). We were pleasantly surprised at the entire experience. The location is not the best but once you get around back to the patio it is BEAUTIFUL. The waitstaff were extremely helpful and patient as we took 45 minutes trying to decide Mexican or Italian. We all ended up getting Mexican and were VERY happy. I had the cheese enchilads and loved every bite! I can't wait to return!!!!!

• Visited July 2013
Birmingham, Michigan
“Great patio ambiance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

The large, covered patio provides a perfect complement to the delicious menu and unique experience of 2 different cuisines at the same restaurant. The Margarita Classico is delicious. From the Mexican side, the posole and Pipian are must try dishes.

• Visited July 2013
Dearborn, Michigan
“Absolutely Superb Southern Mexican and Italian Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have eaten here twice within the past two months; first ordering Italian, pasta with sausage and cream sauce, secondly ordering Mexican, the pollo el barzon, a sort of chicken kiev in a lemony cream sauce. Both times the food was beyond my expectations. The ambience was incredible, I ate outdoors in their new enclosed patio area with the fountain and beautiful flowers. I cannot wait to go back and order the mole poblano, one of their other specialties. Everyone from the chef to the servers to the parking attendants were delightful and enthusiastic about their job and workplace. It is a unique gem!!!!

• Visited June 2013