“Emotionally Driven. A Must See”

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
Ranked #5 of 157 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum serves to document, preserve and educate the public on the history, life and culture of African Americans.
Reviewed September 29, 2014

I have been to many museums in my life. But no museum has ever elicited the emotion that I experienced when visiting the Charles H. Wright. It took me a few trips to Detroit to finally make it there and I'm glad I did. The staff here were informative and wonderful people. The place takes you on an emotional journey through history and shows the connections between all of us. African American History has been marginalized in the public school system and this place tries place an appropriate interpretation upon this important section of history. I highly recommend that you visit this place if you have time to spare.

1  Thank cdpolmat
in 8 reviews
"dolls"
"emancipation"

Reviewed September 28, 2014

Everything about this place is awesome! The architecture of the building and all of the exhibits are breath taking and so educational. Several visits are needed to truly get to know this special place. There is something for the whole family to experience. The permanent exhibit of the african-american experience may be a bit graphic in some parts for the young ones, but there are several exhibits downstairs just for them. The staff was always around to help explain the exhibits to you. They were patient, courteous and professional.

Reviewed September 15, 2014

This is a great museum to visit if you're ever in Detroit. It was very big and takes about 2-3 hours to complete. I particular liked the slave ship exhibit. I gave me chills to see the people behind bars, in shackles and "the point of no return." Also disturbing was the exhibit that depicted how the slaves were packed below deck. I hope all of the people responsible for this "holocaust" are burning in hell forever and ever! I would recommend this museum if you are in Detroit.

2  Thank Kermic G
Reviewed September 14, 2014

Recently, while leading a religious event in Detroit, I was afforded the opportunity to visit the museum and was amazed at this educational sanctuary. My wife and I left the museum feeling so much better about our African heritage and proud of those who bored the sacrifice for our freedom and status within humanity. This national treasure must be preserved and treasured by all and any means necessary!!! The staff was extremely helpful and professional. It was worth every minute spent in the building.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 8, 2014

I had the pleasure of visiting the museum in April of this year. Unfortunately I was short on time and didn’t get to see the basement where there were other exhibits located. The exhibits that I did see, I really enjoyed and learned quite a bit. I will be traveling back to Detroit in the very near future and will definitely be returning to see the rest of this fine museum. The slave ship exhibit was really moving!!