“Absolutely memorable: Vibrant and alive!”

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
Ranked #5 of 157 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum serves to document, preserve and educate the public on the history, life and culture of African Americans.
Reviewed January 6, 2014

We took my granddaughters, ages 6 and 8 to see this museum and from the moment we entered we were impressed. The rotunda entrance was filled with unique acoustic sounds. The lower level had some activities for small children. What was most captivating was the guided tour. Our host was gracious, informative and heartfelt in her presentation. She sang a few small pieces to create the true cultural understanding of the different eras and influence. I learned a great deal and it was not overly long or drawn out. From the very beginning hearths of civilization in Egypt to today I learned new information and a new respect for the often "hidden" history of the US. The slave ship section was powerful. I read another review and would agree...vibrant is the best word to describe this museum.

All reviews
in 8 reviews
"dolls"
"emancipation"

Reviewed January 1, 2014

I chose this museum out of the many in Detroit because of its unique focus on the struggles of African Americans throughout history. It truly is something different and the quality of the permanent exhibits is impressive. We brought our kids hoping they would benefit although part of the exhibits were a bit scary for my 10 year old (realistic looking bodies of slaves below deck on a slave ship). From the architecture of the building, to the in-depth discussions on the roots of slavery, such impact and so much important information. Less impressed with an exhibit for what seems like a plug for Coca-cola and one of its famous/connected employees and the visiting exhibition on Brazil which was loosely tied to African slavery. Stick with the permanent exhibits.

Reviewed December 3, 2013 via mobile

This is one of my favorite museums in the world. It is incredibly informative, interesting and inspiring. The best part is the people working there. I have visited twice, and each time the people working there were so friendly, engaging and vibrant. They took the time to personally chat to me about the exhibits and detroit in general. It made me wish I lived in Detroit so I could visit all the time and never miss an exhibit.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Beautiful building and exhibits. Very well organized presentation of the lives of African Americans in America. Focus on the Detroit experience. A must do for Detroit Visitors.