“Profoundly moving and inspiring...”

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History
Ranked #6 of 130 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum serves to document, preserve and educate the public on the history, life and culture of African Americans.
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I took my son who was 12 at the time (2 yrs ago this May) to the Charles H Wright museum. It was about a 4 hr drive for us from Niagara Falls, Canada and absolutely worth it! I think it is a must see for all ages, races, cultures. You learn and you experience in a very multi-dimensional way. My son is biracial and I feel it gave him a deeper sense of pride in his black roots. Loved it. The people that work there are very helpful and knowledgable and really take the time to make sure you are comfortable and enjoying the visit. I am planning a return trip this spring.

Date of experience: May 2012
in 52 reviews
"slaves"
in 66 reviews

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went there with my daughter and granddaughters on a January weekday. It was not crowed which was nice, but the exhibits were so well done that we had not planned the amount of time we needed to see the whole museum. We bought items from the gift shop which I rate as above average.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

An exciting place to view. besides the two prominent art rooms there is an auditorium where we see current event conversations, reviews of movies,musicians, dance,etc. In the Summer, the museum hosts the African World Festival. A must see regardless of you ethnic background. We always enjoy our visits there.

Date of experience: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The displays of Black Culture past and present. Centered in the museum district reasonable ticket prices and parking.

Date of experience: September 2012