“DISAPPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST”

Michael Symon's Roast
Ranked #12 of 1,115 Restaurants in Detroit
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: State
Detroit, Michigan
“DISAPPOINTED TO SAY THE LEAST”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I’d like to start by saying that I am a huge Michael Symon fan (I live and breathe the Food and Cooking channels). I had been hearing nothing but great things about the fairly new restaurant Roast. My extremely critical brother in law who happened to be in Detroit visiting went to Roast and told me I had to try it (coming from him was a huge deal because he’s not easily impressed). After hearing such rave reviews I decided that I would give it a try for my birthday. Since my birthday was on a Wednesday I decided to go on that Friday evening. I arrived at Roast approximately 6:00pm accompanied by a coworker and was greeted by the hostess. The restaurant was beautiful and had a wonderful ambience. We were seated at the bar (as we had not made reservations and that was the only available seating) which I was fine with. However as we sat down at the bar, we sat for 5minutes before being greeted. This would have been okay had there not been several bartenders behind the bar that clearly saw that we had been seated. Finally once we were acknowledged, we placed our orders. I ordered the double cooked wings and the rosemary fries and a glass of Riesling and my coworker ordered the Roast burger and rosemary fries and a glass of Moscato. Once the food arrived we had to request tableware and napkins. I thought okay that’s fine simple oversight. The food was delicious I however dining out is not all about the food it’s the whole experience. I was a bit perturbed when I felt ignored by my attempts to get the attention of the bartender/s. I finally ordered another drink and then I sat waiting and no drink came. I’d like to mention there were several bartenders behind the bar it was not so busy that it would take a long time for a glass of wine. After sitting and waiting for 10-15 minutes I ultimately ended up telling the bartender to cancel that request. I received the bill in which we paid and left.

My experience was not a great one(though I wanted it to be) I was disappointed. I feel like the staff was not at all high level with providing service.

• Visited July 2013

Austin, Texas
“Just leaves me wanting more and more- thank you Michael Symon!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

We made a special visit to Lola's in Cleveland last year while we were vacationing with our grandchildren at Cedar Point in Sandusky and we thought it excellent. We tried to make it to Roast last year while visiting my favorite sister in A2, but we were unsuccessful. This year as a thank you to my sister and her hubby we all went to Roast. It was outstanding. I am now convinced Michael Symon is a genius!!! and I would likely try and enjoy anything on his menu. I ordered numerous appetizers since there were some I considered exotic and wouldn't likely find them elsewhere, like the Veal Sweetbreads with a delightful roasted grape sauce and Steak Tartare with a perfect cold poached egg on top with avacado and lime,and then of course there was the Roasted Marrow - the Pork Belly over cheesy grits, and lastly the Beef Cheek Pierogi. Yes we were filling up on these scrumptious delicacies but that didn't stop us! We tried the sweet Roasted Corn Soup, the Mixed Green Salad and the Chopped Salad. The soup was delicate with the delicious flavor of fresh Michigan sweet corn and our salads had been dresses in a light, tasty vinaigrette. On to our main courses, the Filet Mignon with olive oil and sea salt was cooked perfectly to order, the Veal Chop was the largest any of us had seen and came dressed with wild mushrooms, butternut squash, roasted shallots and my favorite the Beast of the Day shredded roast pig, dressed with salsa verde, crispy tortilla, chili broth. We also tried several desserts. The Cinnamon Toast Creme Brûlée the warm fresh Apple crisp with Cinnamon ice cream and the most unique of them the Strawberries and Cream lemon buttermilk cake, white chocolate semifreddo, almond crunch-- what can I say, it was a meal of a lifetime---Heaven on Earth, made even more special by the presence of family.

• Visited September 2013
Los Angeles, California
“Superb Meal, Service Exactly like I like it”
Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had dinner with 3 friends on a recent trip to Detroit. One man was local and three of us were from out of town. We had a reservation and were seated right away. The server was a young woman who gave us excellent casual yet attentive service. Nothing was stuffy, but she knew the menu made recommendations for both food and wine that were perfect. It was the sort of friendly service that seems casual, but is a product of a well oiled machine. Kudos to management, because she had excellent training. I had a steak that was cooked to perfection, and dessert was delicious as well. I highly recommend Roast. I only wish there had been a few more people. It seemed a tad desolate; there were only a few scattered tables on a Friday night. I hope the small crowd that night was an anomaly; by all rights the restaurant should be a thundering hit.

Visited September 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Let me start by saying that I am a foodie. Whenever I go on vacation I always allow myself to splurge on one very good dinner. I googled good places to eat in Detroit and this restaurant seemed to be it(in terms of celebrity chefs). I was looking forward to it, truly I was. I can't even remember what I had as an appetizer, that is how unmemorable it was. I had the special of the day for my entrée, roasted pork(pulled) with salsa verde and tortilla chips. It was bland, and had too much broth in it which made it rather soggy. My friend had the filet mignon with sea salt. She said it was just "ok". Dessert did wow us, we had a pretzel, beer, caramel concoction. Our waitress, Sara, was awesome. I do intend to visit Detroit again( I fell in love with the architecture) but won't be returning here. I think I will venture to the burbs next time for my celebrity chef experience.

• Visited September 2013
“Good but over priced”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Room was too noisy. I could only hear the person to my immediate left or right. The food was top notch from a taste perspective.

Visited July 2013