“Great First Impression”

Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
jhen248
“Great First Impression”
Reviewed November 14, 2009

My friends & I visited Greektown's Hotel for the first time two weeks ago for Halloween and had a blast! The rooms were a little small, but we didnt spend too much time there anyway. Great location for downtown. The staff was amazing and attentive to our needs. I'll see them again next year, if not sooner!!!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Hebrew first
detroit
Reviewed November 9, 2009

This hotel stay was great! The front desk staff was extremely friendly, and helpfull. The rooms are efficiently layed out and clean. The view from my 30th floor room was spectacular. Downtown detroit actually looks very nice at night 30 floors up and all lit up. I have stayed in hotel' s all over the U.S. and in Europe and have never come across a more comfortable bed. I would recommed this hotel to anyone going to detroit. You cant beat their rates, and the location is great.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Eastlake, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2009

My wife and I got an offer form Caesars Windsor that Greektown was willing to match so we got a free night on a Saturday. When we got there, there was some confusion about them accepting the offer. They said they wouldn't take them anymore, but they did when they realized we were already booked in their system. We mostly played poker and were shocked to see how empty it was on a Saturday afternoon. After 6:00pm, it got busy, real busy and very loud. I think it might be the loudest casino we've been to. We're not high limit players but played pai gow in the high limit area because drinks are free in there, plus it was one of only 2 pai gow tables in the whole casino. It was nicer in there because the noise level is substantially less. We ate at bistro 555 for dinner and liked it. $100 for lobster for me and steak for my wife, plus salad and dessert. No alcohol. Not sure if the price was right, but you can't complain when they give you a voucher to use. Also, restaurant.com has certificates for sale on their website for this restaurant. You can buy a $25 or $50 for a fraction for the cost. We got the $50 certificate which required us to spend 100$ minimum, so the bill $50. We ate here again for the breakfast buffet on Sunday and it was HORRIBLE. It's only $7.50/person and not worth it. Very few items to choose from. You're stuck though because the buffet is closed for breakfast (we heard the buffet was not good, which we figured since it's only $9.99. We would go back to Greektown, but it would have to be with some kind of offer sent.

1 Thank JFG0180
Michigan
Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I really enjoyed Greektown. We had a room fairly high up facing downtwon Detroit, and loved the view! Room was in great shape with excellent bedding. We both thought the bathroom was very nice. We paid $99/night which we thought was an excellent deal for such a nice room. We ate at the buffet for $9.99 which we also thought was well worth it. The only thing with that, is that the lines can be quite long to get seated. Casino wasn't bad. Would have been better if we had won some money. :)
Dined for luch in Greektown at the Parthenon, I believe, and thought the food was great. Only downside for us was that quite a bit of noise filtered through from the hall to our room due to the doors not going down to the floor. Otherwise, very nice!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
michigan
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My husband and I spent one night at the Greektown Hotal. We were in Detroit for the Lions/Steeler game. Some of this has come up before on other reviews.

Check-In: I was told the week before that they had moved check-in time from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. because they were having trouble turning the rooms around cleaning. At 4 p.m. we went to check in and were told that our room was not ready. Went to bar and then came back later to be told that it was still not ready. Girls at the front desk were in touch with houskeeping and was told that they will call us on cellphone when it was ready. Close to 5:00 o'clock and finally ready. I was not happy and wanted to speak to a manager who the first time did not come out. I expressed my frustration about checking in at 5:00, that's pretty late to me. I was quoted a room price over the phone then was told checking in that my room was $60.00 more than quoted. Got this straightened out. Thankfully I had written everything down with the name of who I had spoken to on the phone. Another surprise was that they add $50.00 deposit on your room at check-in and when you check out you get it back. I was not told this when I made reservation and it would be nice to know. I don't remember anyone on the forum mentioning this also. The room was nice and the beds were very comfortable. However, housekeeping had to be called again to come and clean up the bathroom more. There was hair all over.

I think that the entire hotel was understaffed and that's why they do not get the rooms cleaned in a timely manner. I got two complimetary tickets for the buffet for all the frustration.. I don't know if they really care or not if you get into your room promptly or not. Clerk told me right out that I was not the only one not getting into the room. The hotel was very crowded as there were bus loads of Steeler fans staying there for the game. Bar in the hotel was crowded with people watching the game. There was only one server working the floor and two bartenders. The server had a roomful and was taking orders, delivering drinks, food and taking money and was in way over her head. People were complaining because they were waiting forever for their drinks, including us. I don't fault the server as she should have had more help. The next morning at the buffet, we heard the hostess say that it was unusually busy. Once again had to wait a while to get our coffee and water and silverware. When it did come a manager with a suit on was helping the waitress with our drinks. Again could not fault server as she was doing the best she could.

Buffett: $9.95 all you can eat. There were long lines, don't wait until the last minute to eat if you are hungry. They appeared to be pretty well staffed for the buffett. Pretty good.

Good: It was a fun atmosphere and husband got to gamble and you don't have to go far to get to room.

Noise: Our room was very quiet. We were on the side of Old St. Mary's Church. So we did get a good night's sleep.

People mover is right at the hotel which is a plus. Our parking was also free which was a big plus.

I would like to give them another try because it is a fun place to stay if they could get some of these other issues cleared up.

Philly, PA
Reviewed October 13, 2009

We just returned from a 1 night stay at the Greektown (a thursday night).

Parking - easy, the garage has plenty of spaces

Check in - smooth, the lobby is really neat looking

Room - AWESOME! We were on the 29th floor (rm 2912) facing south with 1 king. The decor is very modern. Floor to ceiling windows really enhance the view. Huge flat screen TV was nice. The bathroom was very clean and modern with a glass door showed stall and rainhead showerhead. Bedding was comfortable plush bed and down comforter. For a modern design lots of storage space with 4 drawers, closet, shelves in the bathroom.

Casino - seems like your overage joe's casion with not too fancy, self service drinks and lots of penny/nickel machines. Easy access to the people mover through the casino.

We had no problems with the noise or elevators as some users have stated. The elevators were quick (seperate elevators for hotel and casino and you need a key to get to your room - good security precaution).

Overall a great stay! I give it a 4/5 because we were there so quickly we couldn't check out all of the amenities it offered.

Farmington Hills, MI
Reviewed October 4, 2009

OK, so my girlfirend and I decided to go to Greektown hotel and casino for our one year ann. Now we have gambled at all three Detroit casinos, but have never been to the any of the hotels before. We decided on greektown because of all the things to do in Greektown.

There is no pool
I had to call 3 times at 5pm to get extra towels.
Depending on when you called you got a different story if you could get a late check out or not.
And here is the kicker. There is a club near the casino that blairs their music so loud we were layinig thre at 3am listening to a bass booming very loudly.

Apparently this is not coming from the casino and they cant do anything about it. We were on the 29th floor and were up till 4am becuase of this.

Check out is at 11 i called at 10am to complian again and they said we could check out at 1 we went to go get something to eat and came back and we could not get back into our room at noon.

Than we had to track down someone from house keeping who had to call sercurity and it was 20 minutes before we could get back into the room.

Just plan horrible.