“Very very nice..............”

Greektown Casino Hotel
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Detroit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
laddam2
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2009

Here is a "brief" review of our hotel stay on April 10th. I had reserved 7 rooms over 2 months before our check in day, on the day of the check in, I arrived at the hotel at 7:30am, I pulled into the valet area, and sat there for about 2minutes....NO ONE ever showed up. I proceeded to pull down into the parking garage and parked my vehicle. I walked back up into the hotel lobby to check in and sign for the other rooms under my reservation. The front desk worker said to me "you only have 6 rooms reserved" I luckily had all of my confirmation #'s on me, and he was able to "find" my 7th room reservation. I told him that I know I was obviously early for the check in, but that I wanted to just sign for all of the rooms under my name and get them all paid for. Around 4pm a few people in my party showed up at the hotel only to be told that the rooms were not yet available. I personally arrived back at the hotel around 7pm only to see ALL of people in my party standing around in the lobby with approx 50 people in line all waiting to check in.
I went straight up to the front desk and asked what was going on!!! They said that they were still trying to clean up the rooms from the night before. I told him that people with my group had been waiting for at least 3 HOURS (4pm-7pm)! He said they were very busy and doing everything they could to get the rooms cleaned up! The front desk worker said that he could get me rooms with 1 king bed, but that the rooms with 2 queens were not available. (keep in mind, I reserved 7 rooms with 2 queen beds 2 months before). With approx 25 people in my group all just standing around, along with numerous other groups of people waiting it started to get VERY chaotic. My sister (23 years old) got sick of standing and waiting, so she sat down on in the corner of the hotel lobby. Security told her she couldn't sit down and that if she didn't stand up, they would "physically remove her". I obviously became VERY upset with this gesture and started demanding my rooms immediately. (it is now 8pm). To make this long story short, other people also in my same situation started calling the news stations and media outlets in an attempt to get some help....
The front desk was "offering" discounts to people who were complaining, but the discounts were all different....some workers were giving $10 off rooms, others were giving $25 off rooms....some were only giving $15 in free play at the casino.
I was one of the more vocal people (because I had 25 people in my group all waiting for me), they had security surround me and try to show their presence.....IT WAS A MESS!

4.5 hours after the first people in my party arrived and 2.5 hours after I arrived we were finally given our rooms (8:30pm). As I left the front desk with my keys I had a hotel manager come up to me and offer to "comp" ALL of my rooms because of the problems. I took him up on his offer--Thanked him for "comping" the rooms and asked him "if you were me, how would you of dealt with the situation" he agreed that is was a disorganized mess and he would of been just as upset as I was!
Here is my advise---DO NOT STAY HERE! Even though it was a nice gesture to not charge us for our rooms, it still doesn't fix the reservation problem. (as i mentioned prior...there was 20-30 other people all waiting for their rooms as well).
Although it is a new hotel, they still have ALOT of kinks to work out!

• Stayed April 2009
2 Thank laddam2
detroit9488
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2009

Very happy with this new hotel, especially after hearing some poor reviews. It appears they have worked out the kinks that were present at the grand opening.

This is certainly the nicest hotel I have stayed in for $99 a night (other than hotwire/priceline deals). Rooms are very nice. Lobby and restaurants very cool.

Another great bonus - free and attached parking.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Warrington, PA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2009

As a business traveler, I see a lot of hotels and read a lot of reviews. And always tend to take them with a grain of salt, and as an experienced traveler, will balance quality with price. At $99, I had to consider the Greektown, but in light of the poor reviews everywhere you go, decided to call and see for myself. Reservation did indeed confirm opening day was less than stellar, but that all the kinks had been worked out, and ALSO confirmed the small size of the rooms reported by many, for those with groups wanting to party in their rooms. I was assured that for someone like myself used to hotels, their room were similar to traditional hotels. I also brought up the issue of cleanliness, which to be honest remains at the top of my list, and once again, was assured the poor reviews were undeserved. Well, the rooms ARE small, and cleanliness IS an issue. There is a reason for the specials they run, it's not worth more!
Enough said, go to priceline and for $120 you'll stay at the Westin (amazing place!!)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank phdedieu
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2009

After reading the reviews, I was a little apprehensive at staying here. The check-in process went quickly and professionally.
As I first entered the hotel room, I noticed there was trash left in the can and dirty towels on the floor. I called the front desk and within five minutes, they had someone knocking at the door to move me to a new room with an even better view of the downtown area.
The rooms, although on the small side, were decorated in a contemporary style. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets and blankets were soft and fluffy. The bathroom thankfully had a tiled stall shower instead of the standard tub style. Very cool. My only gripe in the bathroom area is that a blow dryer is not standard in every room. You have to call to get one brought to your room.
A plasma TV, stocked mini-bar, and internet access are standard in every room.
This hotel is located in the heart of Greektown so there are many restaurants and bars within walking distance, not to mention the casino itself. Public transportation through the People Mover is also available to other downtown landmarks such as the Renaissance Center and Cobo Hall. This place was perfect for my business trip. Quiet and comfortable stay!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business