“Great location”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
New York City, New York
“Great location”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I recently returned from a 4 night stay at the Greektown Casino Hotel. Overall it was a very nice and modern hotel with clean rooms and friendly staff. The views from the higher floors are excellent as well. We had a room on the 26th floor that faced away from downtown, but we still had a great view of the surrounding areas and the river. The best thing the hotel has going for it is it's location. It's close to all of the major downtown attractions and is within easy walking distance of the stadiums and the riverfront. The hotel offers free parking in an onsite garage that is easily accessed right off the interstate, which makes coming and going from other parts of the area beyond the downtown district extremely easy. The hotel is also located right on a very busy stretch of Monroe Street which has numerous restaurants and bars that are pretty much all open very late, which is great if like us your flight gets in to DTW late and you still want to be able to have dinner on arrival. I'm docking them a star because the price seems a little high to me (although we got a great rate on Priceline), and because the casino smells of smoke, and while the rooms and hotel areas are free of the smell, you still have to pass through it every day on the walkway to the garage.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors all have great views.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
We appreciate your positive review of your stay with us. We are delighted that you were pleased with our staff and our convenience to the downtown attractions. Please come back and visit us at Greektown Casino Hotel the next time you are in Detroit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for three nights, upon arrival the valet service was good,and my check in was quick and efficient. I asked for a fridge and in less than ten minutes being in my room one was delivered to me. The staff was very friendly, complementary breakfast was very good, they were a variety of things to choose from. The view from my room if downtown Detroit was beautiful. Check out time was 11am and I asked for an extra hour and it was granted. I had a wonderful time at the Greektown hotel and casino and to think that after reading a few reviews I was going to book some place else but I am glad I did not. My advice to every one is to go and experience it for yourself....I am glad I did.

• Stayed September 2013
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thank you so very much for such a high rating regarding your stay with us. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. We look forward to your next stay with us here at Greektown Casino Hotel.
Grand Rapids
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Spent a night in early September 2013...great room, great staff, enjoyed the Bistro for food. The casino was smoky and stunk...dealers were friendly.
Planning on coming back...will wear old clothes and lots of cologne to the casino

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your review. We are happy you chose to stay at Greektown Casino Hotel and hope you will once again choose to stay with us in the future.
Willowbrook, Illinois
Reviewed September 9, 2013

There are little signs that a hotel has started to let their standards slip. We could tell that Greektown Casino Hotel used to be a four-star level hotel. But small things such as sliding doors that wouldn't lock, security that was slow on the uptake to take care of noisy neighbors, issues with billing that required far more effort than should have been required all add up to a mediocre experience.

The rooms are reasonably sized, with comfy beds. The phones are designed for businesses instead of hotels, making them more confusing than they need to be. Room service is odd: they shut down between 11 AM and 5 PM (but oddly open any time overnight), which made things infinitely more difficult when my wife needed a sandwich only to discover we had to go into the casino next door to get the food. We booked the room through Priceline, so the price was right (and obviously they've got occupancy issues).

The last night, we had to deal with prostitutes using the next room to service customers, and were very loud. It took two calls to get security to even come up, then three more calls before they were finally evicted at 6 AM, which killed the night's sleep for us. When we mentioned this at checkout, there was no effort to give us any discount or adjustment due to that.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback. Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself in the ability to provide the highest level of quality and service to our guest. We are regretful for any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please reach out to me at Cnelson@greektowncasino.com and allow us the opportunity to improve upon your guest experience. We hope you will give us another opportunity in the near future.
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed there one day in the hotel. The valet service was excellant. The room were very nice for the value we paid. The beds were very comfy and the bathroom was very nice. I was very impressed with this hotel. I would stay here again if I am in town.

1 Thank Sandy V
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
It is a pleasure for us to hear of how impressed you were during your stay with us here at Greektown Casino - Hotel. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and we look forward to your next stay with us.
Sarnia, Ontario
Reviewed September 8, 2013

I won a room at the Greektown Hotel by signing up at the casino. We got to the hotel around 12 and asked at the lobby if we could get into our room early and they said that our room was ready which was a bonus for us. We were even asked if we wanted a room high up or closer to the ground level. We were on the 29th floor facing the city, what a gorgeous view. The room was a little compact but very nice. The hotel is so close to everything we needed to see and do. Our room was very clean and the bed was very comfortable. We were here on a Thursday and there weren't any games going on so it wasn't very busy. We took the people mover around to see where we wanted to go for a walk. The water front is so nice and relaxing. We walked through downtown. Detroit really gets a bad rap but we really enjoyed out visit. The buildings are so old but so well kept. We found everyone so friendly. If you want a great breakfast go to The Ham Shop which is right down the street. Big portions. We had fun at the casinos but the smoking is really bad.

Room Tip: If you are here for a football or baseball game everything you need is within walking distance.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Caryn N, Manager at Greektown Casino Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
Greektown Casino Hotel prides itself on providing the best entertainment experience in Detroit. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with others looking for amazing location and service in our beautiful city. We look forward to providing you with another great experience soon!
Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I needed to stay in Detroit for business, and was originally plannng to stay at the Marriott Renaissance. But, for significantly less, I was able to book a very nice room on the 23rd floor of the Greektown Casino Hotel. It's a great location - just a short walk to Comerica Park and Ford Field. There are a ton of places to eat in Greektown, and I felt safe walking by myself for blocks around the hotel. My only caveat is that the casino is smoke-filled, so if you have low tolerance for cigarette smoke, this isn't the place for you. There were some customer service glitches: first, there wasn't a wake-up call when I needed to get up early to catch a flight. Then, I called ahead for a cab, and was assured one was on the way. When I got downstairs, I waited around only to find out that nobody had called for a cab. Overall, it was a nice stay, but the attention to detail needs some improvement.

Room Tip: A room on a higher floor keeps you away from the noise and casino smoke.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay at Greektown Casino Hotel. We appreciate that you took the time to provide us with your comments in regards to your recent visit. We hope you will once again stay with us the next time you are attending events downtown.