“DoubleTree Suites in Detroit”

Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby
Ranked #5 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I spent 3 nights at the DoubleTree Suites hotel in downtown Detroit and would recommend to anyone needing a hotel in downtown Detroit. The room was big and clean and centrally located close to Cobo Hall. The restaurants had very good food and the bar was great after work.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,389)

Reviewed January 16, 2014

So I was walking barefoot in my hotel room - HUGE MISTAKE. They had exposed wood from pulled back carpet with staples/nails sticking out and it sliced into my foot which is bleeding as we speak. Mike from the front desk came up after I called and all he said was, "Do you want to change rooms?" No big apologies, nothing. Nevermind that a nail from your hotel went into my foot. I can barely walk right now, let alone pack everything up and hall it to a different room. I asked if they had a rug or mat or anything to place over this as it is an extreme safety hazard. He said maintenance would take care of it and left. I'm still waiting for someone to fix this.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Larry B, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Detroit Downtown - Fort Shelby, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and for sharing your comments. I am so sorry that you stepped on a nail in your room. I can assure you that this issue is extremely rare to occur and sincerely apologize for the terrible inconvenient you went though. I hope you will not let this isolated incident detour you from staying with us in the future. I am confident that given the opportunity, your next stay with us will be a more pleasant one. I encourage you to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss this matter further as I am always listening to our guests. Thank again you for your time and valued feedback

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Staff at the Doubletree in downtown Detroit worked very hard to ensure that we had a pleasant stay. Our reservation was in order when we arrived late at night, the room was quite clean, and the prompt, courteous, and free shuttle service to downtown attractions was particularly appreciated.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I love staying at this hotel in the Detroit area the staff is really nice and the rooms are updated and clean. When I arrived to the hotel I was politely greeted by the staff and recognized as a valued hotel guest. The cookies are usually warm and fresh. If available the staff does not hesitate to provide a room upgrade.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I loved the fact that all the hotel rooms are a 2 room suite - very large and comfortable! The location was great, yet quiet enough to get some good rest and the staff were very accommodating. I would definitely stay here again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I spent one night in the area and needed something right downtown. I was a little surprised by the size of the room as normally rooms are much smaller for a comparable price (and they are rooms not suites like this was)! The warm cookie given on check in, while not a reason to choose a hotel, was a great added bonus.

The staff was very friendly, and were very patient with me when I didn't quite understand what they had been telling me (I was having an overly slow day!). I asked where a specific restaurant was located, and they actually suggested the free shuttle they have for anyplace within 3 miles. Many locations I have been in have tried to hide the fact that they have a shuttle. I wasn't pleased about having to wait outside for it, but I was fortunate enough to have the shuttle actually there when I went to wait.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Nice place, would like to have had access to food later in the evening. The quality of valet service left a little to be desired. Front desk personnel were very helpful. The extremely cold weather was also a challenge.