“Great location!”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Illinois
“Great location!”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here when we went to Detroit to see a Red Wings game. The hotel is conveniently located very close to the Joe Louis Arena and the waterfront. We stayed in a corner suite. The room was comfortable, but I do have a few complaints.

The couch, chair and pillows in the living area of the suite were all rather drab and the pillows even had tears in the fabric where the stuffing was spilling out. The area where the microwave/mini fridge/coffee maker were located did not have enough outlets to have the items all plugged in at the same time, so we kept having to unplug one thing to plug in another, which was somewhat irritating.

The bed was very comfortable and the sleep quality was great. The customer service was fantastic and they even allowed us a late check out so we didn't have to leave our bags in the car while we were at the hockey game. They offer a free shuttle service within a 3 mile radius of the hotel, which proved very helpful in going and picking up dinner from Slows To Go (which I recommend!) A nice experience. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Silverchairchick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Good choice for conference and business travel in downtown Detroit. 10 minutes walk to GM centre. Comfortable feeling and easy access to walk around the river (just 10 minutes walk). Close to Greek town where a lot of restaurants around.

Augusta, Maine
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is for sure one hotel I'd come back to. I stayed here the weekend for a business trip and couldn't be any satisfied. Service was excellent, location was best and people here do take really good care of you. I am not a regular here and I was treated like they knew me from a long time. Note that this was my first time staying here.

Detroit, United States
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Great stay at a wonderful hotel conveniently located on the quiet side of the downtown Detroit area. The staff was very attentive and accomodating and the suite style rooms were perfect for a family of 3 making a trip down to the area. The restaurant and bar area is situated perfectly and the coffee shop there in the lobby is a plus as well. Overall this is a wonderful hotel and I would recommend this to anyone traveling to the area whether for business or leisure purposes.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

East Lansing, MI
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed here for the Taylor Swift concert. There was also a Red Wings game that night so Detroit was busy and I'm sure this hotel was booked solid. But, it didn't feel that way. We never experienced a delay and we never heard noise.

Our room was HUGE. I mean really HUGE. It had a separate room with a couch and some of us stayed up and watched TV while the others slept. The beds were really comfortable and we slept really well.

The staff was friendly, personable and helpful. I can't say enough positive things about this hotel, especially when you consider that the rates are reasonable. It was just wonderful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Bridgeport, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The bedroom was fine. However, the living room needed dusting. I wasn't able to sit on the sofa because it was extremely dirty. The chair at the desk was loaded with dirt. I had to place on towel on the chair before I could sit down. The leather chairs are very nice; however, the chair was filthy needs cleaning.

Novi, Michigan
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We opted for a room at this Doubletree last night, since we were attending the Red Wings game, and didn't want to make the drive home afterwards. Aside from the Wings losing (boo), we were so happy that we made the decision to stay here. It was just a few blocks walk to Joe Louis Arena, and even walking back in the dark at 10:00pm, there were people out on the streets, and we did not feel unsafe. (On a side note, I grew up in Detroit, and am familiar with many of the areas, and despite what people may say, you CAN walk around downtown and be safe...you just need to know where you are and where you are headed!)

We were given a beautiful corner suite, with the most comfortable bed and pillows I have ever slept on! The tub and toilet area was in a separate room from the sink/mirror/dressing area, which is so much better (and I wonder why all hotels aren't designed this way?) The living room area had its own flat screen tv, as did the bedroom. The one and ONLY issue we had, was by the time we came back from the game, we noticed the room temperature was up to 75 degrees, even though we had turned the air on (or thought we did) when we left. We made a call to the desk and there were to send someone up. By midnight, no one had come, but we had discovered that we could open the windows a couple of inches, which gave us adequate air for the evening. We let it go and said goodnight.

This morning, one of us had the full breakfast buffet (13.95) and I had the continental breakfast buffet (including oatmeal bar) for 7.00. It was a lovely restaurant, and food was more than adequate, and not overpriced by some hotel buffet standards. Fresh fruit on my oatmeal was appreciated and delicious! Service was really great, very attentive to coffee and water needs.

When we check out, I mentioned very nicely to the desk clerk, that we had called for someone to check the thermostat and ac in our room, but that no one arrived before midnight. I told her that it was fine, we opened the windows and I was only letting her know so that someone could attend to it before the next guests (and warmer weather) arrived. She apologized profusely, and said she would like to at least take the 5.00 movie charge off our bill. I was more than happy with that especially since I didn't request anything for compensation. Other than that one small issue, the service was fine all the way around, check in and check out easy and accomodating.

I will mention, that there is a 23.00 valet charge if you bring your car. There is no car lot on premises, however, there is a parking garage a block away. We were totally fine with the valet since we were leaving the car in for the night while we walked to the game. It was well worth not having to drive around the city, on a night where there were 4 major events going on, and looking for a place to park the car. Just be aware of this before you book.

You won't be disappointed in this hotel. I will be staying here again!

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room if available...very spacious!