“Just wonderful ”
Review of Maru Sushi & Grill

Maru Sushi & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Maru Sushi & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #73 of 1,202 Restaurants in Detroit
Description: Our stylish downtown location offers Japanese shareable plates, creative sushi rolls, hibachi grills and omakase (chef platters) plus an extensive cocktail, wine and beer list including plenty of drink specials for the after-work crowd. Set inside the Federal Building, our modern, bright space features a white marble sushi bar, restored terrazzo floors and a ceiling meant to evoke a fisherman’s net. (via Zagat)
Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

This is a really superb sushi restaurant. The real deal and I’ve eaten sushi all over the world including many times in Japan.

Wonderful fresh sashimi - octopus / eel / tuna

Great nigiri - scallop / hamachi / tuna

Great summer sake served from draft

Very helpful knowledgeable service

Recommend

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

I was craving sushi and went here due to the great reviews. I was not disappointed! The sushi was very tasty and the selection was great. You can choose between special rolls and sushi classics. I can definitely recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed April 23, 2018 via mobile

I was in Detroit on business, and a colleague and I think sushi. We found this place which looked really nice and had good reviews. We were directed towards a good selection of sake which was very good and we ordered the chefs dinner which included sashimi and some special roll. the fish was outstanding. But the roll was like the kitchen sink of rolls; too many flavors, too big, too many sauces and it was not really good frankly. If you go there, focus on sashimi and sushi. My advice is to avoid the rolls.

Reviewed April 8, 2018 via mobile

Our second great meal at Maru! Our server, Jess, had lots of good information about sushi and beer. The edamame with truffle salt was delicious and Maru has one of the best miso soups I've ever had. We loved the spiciness of the Madagascar roll and the Sexy Bacon roll was to die for. (I know, I was a skeptic of bacon in sushi, but at Maru it's a match made in heaven!) The cherrywood smoked bacon is incredible and the roll is accompanied with a generous amount of it. The service was well-paced for our date evening and the space has a great vibe, and we enjoyed the architecture of the Penobscot building and the former State Savings Bank building. We will be back.

Reviewed March 26, 2018

We had an awesome dinner at Maru. We chose 3 vegetarian rolls, along with edamame and miso soup to start. The atmosphere was nice and relaxed. We were taken back right at our reservation time. Our server was very attentive.