Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown
  • Pool
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewspeople moverfront deskrenaissance centervalet parkingren cenconvenience storegm buildingford fieldbreakfast buffetcomerica parktigers gameview of the rivereasy accesswould stay here againnice staythe joe louis arenared wings game
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Though it isn't the "official" jazz festival hotel it is about a 10 minute walk from the site. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. The room (1 king and a sofabed) was spacious and we had a view of the river from the 12th floor. We appreciated the free internet. Our only complaint is that there were no restaurants open on Sunday evening past 11 p.m. including room service so when we got home from the jazz site tired and hungry we had to resort to the ``Market`located in the lobby of the hotel for a sandwich and a salad. The lettuce and the beets in the salad were frozen. When we complained the next morning we were told to go to the Market and help ourselves which I appreciated. I would stay at this hotel again and recommend it especially for the proximity to the jazz site. I think we got our money`s worth.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a river view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Our two days stay at the Courtyard was very disappointed.
We booked for 5 people. The room had two beds. We asked the front desk to have an extra bed and she told us that it was not possible! We finally got one from an a room attendant.
The air conditioning and our fridge was not working. We reported it, but the situation was not addressed. They just add another fridge.
The cleanliness of the rooms and the hotel is poor. We can barely see through the windows.
I wrote to Marriott to report the situation and I did not have answers.
The hotel is well situated...The only good thing!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank MagDen007
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My first time booking with Marriott points. We had a road trip planned with only one night in Detroit, and I had enough points to book two double rooms at the Courtyard Marriott, Downtown. We went to a Tigers game in the afternoon and then spent the evening in the hotel. The rooms are huge, and clean and comfortable. Travelling with two teens, we had requested adjoining rooms which were not available but we were only two doors apart. Every single employee was helpful and friendly. Having never been to Detroit before, we didn't know we could take the People Mover directly from the hotel to Comerica Park. That would have been easier than parking at the ballpark. If you go to a baseball game, park at the hotel and pay the nominal fee for the People Mover. Our stay did not include breakfast (hey Marriott, could you throw in the breakfast when people book with points???) but there is a nice breakfast deli in the hotel, and a Tim Horton's. It was very easy driving in and out of the city too.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Before you lay your head down you need to check your mattress pad and the mattress. The mattress pads have hair all over them and the mattress was soild with human stains. I ask front desk for ten towel and the gentleman look at me like I was going to steal there towel after I told him what I needed them for, and after we change rooms three time and each room had the same issue. The tub in the first room was dirty (black) with hair in it. The stopper on the sink would not go up so the water was flowing out very slow, so my sister put a plastic spoon in the sink so the water could flow out, hair on the bathroom floor, towels, and torn desk chair. Which I have picture of the sink and chair. The supervisor David offer us free breakfast on Saturday morning, but it was the worst breakfast I every ate at any Marriott Hotel. Beware, Beware Beware! Would I stay there again? No.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
DTWDCGM, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Detroit Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

I’m sorry that you experienced issues with your guestroom and breakfast. We have a talented group of housekeepers that take great pride in their work. We unfortunately also missed the mark on your restaurant experience as our breakfast food quality scores rank in the top 10% for Courtyards.

I believe we received your comments through Marriott’s guest satisfaction survey, and our assistant general manager had the opportunity to speak with you personally. I’m glad we were able to ultimately meet your expectations and resolve your concerns. Hopefully the next time your reunion is in Detroit, you will give us another opportunity to accommodate your family.

Jon Coutts, General Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2013

I am here on business with three other people. My stay started with the valet guy chewing me out for going too slow as I was unloading a packed vehicle the night I checked in. Then the hotel took our debit cards upon check in stating it was for incidentals. One of the people I was with got charged $2000 on day one because of a "computer error" another one of us got charged almost $900 for the same reason. Just so you know check out is noon, I'm here with my gf and five week old daughter. The last day here I went to work while my gf and young daughter slept, she called me at work furious saying the house keeping supervisor had gone into our room at 8:30 woke her up by shouting at her telling her I had checked us all out and that she needed to leave asap. I called the gm of the hotel and he basically told me nothing was going to happen my word vs theirs. Oh ya and the sheets hadn't been changed. This place is generally dirty and run down.

• Stayed: July 2013