“Enjoyed the overall experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Detroit Downtown

Courtyard Detroit Downtown
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Atlanta, Georgia
“Enjoyed the overall experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Great location, staff, rooms, and train around town so convienent. Even a awesome exersice and tennis court............outside. Indoor pool. Across street from ford museum. Detroit gets a bad rap but it was fun for me.

• Stayed October 2012
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Polish first
Cary, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a meeting at the Ren Center, a conference at Cobo, and went to ALCS Game 4 (twice, but that is another story).

Pros:
Great downtown location
Room was good size.
Bed and pillows very comfortable.
Breakfast was good. You can walk to Tim Horton's without going outside if that is more your speed.
Wifi was free and worked well.
Friendly staff all-around.
Good sized LCD television with a handy external box for connecting audio and video devices. However they only offered SD channels.

Cons:
Parking garage is attached, but $15 per day. Since you can walk to everything or take the people mover a car is not really required. Since I had some business in the suburbs I needed a car.

Room Tip: Room 1201 had a good view and two queen beds. Inadequate lighting in my opinion.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
All Over
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I stayed here the night before the detroit press half marathon. Such a great location. The Ren center is across the street and accessible via skywalk, stadium and convention center within walking distance as well as Greektown restaurants. The staff was extremely friendly and happy to give me an extra late check out. The bed was just okay. Not that comfy and the sheets were toilet paper thin and just really cheap. I like that there was a fridge and the room was a good size for 1 or 2 people. The price was reasonable too. I would stay here again if I were by myself for a quick visit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We stayed here for a Detroit Tiger game. Great location and able to walk to the stadium and felt safe the whole time. They have their own people mover stop if you prefere. The room was clean and the bed's very comfortable. The staff was very friendly. I would stay again.

1 Thank cnews
Roseville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Forgetting about the fact that it took an obscene amount of time to check in and the rooms way too smaill for the money spent for one night, it was easy to shake that off the next morning when we realized that our room was Ransacked the night before. WHILE WE SLEPT. Most everyone who stayed in the room lost something. Those of us who just got our phones swiped counted ourselves lucky. When we asked if we could see the security footage, the hotel security guards laughed and said "We don't have cameras. Not on EVERY floor!"
SERIOUSLY?? Never again. I would feel safer sleeping in a locked car than at this overpriced hell hole.

Room Tip: Get a room in Windsor. It's not that hard to cross the river.
2 Thank Joshuatree86
DTWCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your post. Please know that the safety and security of our guests is a top priority at Marriott. As soon as we were made aware of the situation our security team contacted the Detroit police, who responded to the hotel to investigate the matter. After an investigation and reviewing reports taken from the guestroom door lock, hotel security found no indication of forced entry and only keys issued to the room occupants were used to gain access to the room. A claim has been filed with our claims department and they will work to resolve the matter.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

From the moment we checked in to the time we checked out, we experienced a service that I wish I could bottle and sell! The staff were genuinely happy to see us and talk to us. The two Front Desk ladies at check-in were lovely and assisted me in getting the right room for our Sunday retreat in Detroit. The gentleman at the Front Desk helped me with a special request and was also so sweet.
The room on the 17th floor overlooking the river had stunning views and was very spacious. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was comfortably huge.
Every encounter at this hotel was special... and I left there knowing I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I will never stay downtown again due to my experience at this hotel. Stayed in 2 rooms with some friends for a birthday weekend, ended up robbed of 3 wallets 4 phones and all of our safety in our sleep. The hotel security and two police officers who came to the room when I realized what happened told us there was nothing they could do, we probably left the door open overnight.

I know this was not the case and my items/safety was completely robbed from me without ignorance of leaving a hotel door open. I've never felt so violated in my life and I plan to continue investigating this issue myself since the hotel and police won't help. We may even sue.

Room Tip: anywhere but this hotel
1 Thank Jacquelyn888