“One star is too much.”

Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Roseville
“One star is too much.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Forgetting about the fact that it took an obscene amount of time to check in and the rooms way too smaill for the money spent for one night, it was easy to shake that off the next morning when we realized that our room was Ransacked the night before. WHILE WE SLEPT. Most everyone who stayed in the room lost something. Those of us who just got our phones swiped counted ourselves lucky. When we asked if we could see the security footage, the hotel security guards laughed and said "We don't have cameras. Not on EVERY floor!"
SERIOUSLY?? Never again. I would feel safer sleeping in a locked car than at this overpriced hell hole.

Room Tip: Get a room in Windsor. It's not that hard to cross the river.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Joshuatree86
DTWCYGM, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Downtown, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your post. Please know that the safety and security of our guests is a top priority at Marriott. As soon as we were made aware of the situation our security team contacted the Detroit police, who responded to the hotel to investigate the matter. After an investigation and reviewing reports taken from the guestroom door lock, hotel security found no indication of forced entry and only keys issued to the room occupants were used to gain access to the room. A claim has been filed with our claims department and they will work to resolve the matter.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

From the moment we checked in to the time we checked out, we experienced a service that I wish I could bottle and sell! The staff were genuinely happy to see us and talk to us. The two Front Desk ladies at check-in were lovely and assisted me in getting the right room for our Sunday retreat in Detroit. The gentleman at the Front Desk helped me with a special request and was also so sweet.
The room on the 17th floor overlooking the river had stunning views and was very spacious. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was comfortably huge.
Every encounter at this hotel was special... and I left there knowing I would return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I will never stay downtown again due to my experience at this hotel. Stayed in 2 rooms with some friends for a birthday weekend, ended up robbed of 3 wallets 4 phones and all of our safety in our sleep. The hotel security and two police officers who came to the room when I realized what happened told us there was nothing they could do, we probably left the door open overnight.

I know this was not the case and my items/safety was completely robbed from me without ignorance of leaving a hotel door open. I've never felt so violated in my life and I plan to continue investigating this issue myself since the hotel and police won't help. We may even sue.

Room Tip: anywhere but this hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jacquelyn888
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

This hotel gave me the same fantastic experience as it did when I stayed in 2007.

The service is impeccable. Whether the doorman, the front desk, housekeeping or the bar, everyone seems genuinely delighted that you are staying in their hotel and all go out of their way to make you happy.

I have to say that I was very impressed that the hotel hires people with disabilities, and the gentleman who cleans the lobby not only worked with a great ethic, was very warm and hospitable when I spoke to him and I congratulate the hotel for reaching out to its community like this, it shows that this is a management who cares about its people, and that resonates in the service levels.

We were there for a Detroit Lions game, the hotel is superb and the location to Ford Field is perfect.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Feyenoorder
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night to watch the Tigers ALDS game 1. The hotel is pretty close to the Tigers stadium, about a 10 minute walk, which is pretty good. The beds are probably an 8.5 on a scale of 1-10. Very good mattresses, good bedding, but all the pillows were very soft, and I like my pillows more on the firm side. Bathroom was very nice. Everything was very clean. In the restaurant, service is very disorganized but the servers are extremely kind and pay attention. However, we had 4 servers ask us if we had ordered within 2 minutes. The food was okay, nothing special.

Overall, 4/5, and I would recommend this hotel to people staying in Detroit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I just got done with my one night stay at the Courtyard.

Upon check in I was told I'd won a drawing and got a room upgrade and points on my Marriott account! The front desk staff and valet were warm, funny and very nice.

I had a deluxe king room which was spacey and clean. The work space at the desk was amazing. Free Internet in the room was a tad slow on start up but then it was fine.

Bathroom counter space is huge! The water pressure was a little light but hot and cold water were fine.

I had dinner at the hotel and it was delicious but a bit pricey for the quality. Breakfast was the same. Service was very good and prompt.

My only complaint is that you can hear the people mover from the room a bit. Not enough to keep me awake though!

• Stayed October 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I checked in here for a conference, and during our meeting, the power went out in several spots in the area. The staff was really helpful in finding us all rooms across the street at the Ren Cen, and in getting our luggage and cars to us. They even delivered my phone charger that I realized I had forgotten - all with a smile and great service.

I didn't stay at the hotel, but the rooms were very large and seemed nice. The hotel itself seemed like a more economical alternative to more expensive hotels downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business