“Nice Courtyard” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Detroit, Michigan
“Nice Courtyard”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

I stayed here for one night to watch the Tigers ALDS game 1. The hotel is pretty close to the Tigers stadium, about a 10 minute walk, which is pretty good. The beds are probably an 8.5 on a scale of 1-10. Very good mattresses, good bedding, but all the pillows were very soft, and I like my pillows more on the firm side. Bathroom was very nice. Everything was very clean. In the restaurant, service is very disorganized but the servers are extremely kind and pay attention. However, we had 4 servers ask us if we had ordered within 2 minutes. The food was okay, nothing special.

Overall, 4/5, and I would recommend this hotel to people staying in Detroit.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

I just got done with my one night stay at the Courtyard.

Upon check in I was told I'd won a drawing and got a room upgrade and points on my Marriott account! The front desk staff and valet were warm, funny and very nice.

I had a deluxe king room which was spacey and clean. The work space at the desk was amazing. Free Internet in the room was a tad slow on start up but then it was fine.

Bathroom counter space is huge! The water pressure was a little light but hot and cold water were fine.

I had dinner at the hotel and it was delicious but a bit pricey for the quality. Breakfast was the same. Service was very good and prompt.

My only complaint is that you can hear the people mover from the room a bit. Not enough to keep me awake though!

• Stayed October 2012
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I checked in here for a conference, and during our meeting, the power went out in several spots in the area. The staff was really helpful in finding us all rooms across the street at the Ren Cen, and in getting our luggage and cars to us. They even delivered my phone charger that I realized I had forgotten - all with a smile and great service.

I didn't stay at the hotel, but the rooms were very large and seemed nice. The hotel itself seemed like a more economical alternative to more expensive hotels downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed here with some of her family on the Saturday night of Labor Day weekend. We were in town for a Detroit Tigers game, and have stayed downtown at alot of different hotels, this being our first time at the Courtyard Marriott. We reserved 2 rooms. The size of each room was very nice. They are actually pretty large and the bathrooms are a good size. Our room was near the elevator so be sure to request something away from that if you want a "quiet" stay. Location-wise, this would be great for hockey games, but it is quite a walk from baseball/football games. The hotel is connected to the people mover which is convenient. We walked back from the Tigers game and I wouldn't recommend that. It took us through some shady downtown areas and there were times that I wouldn't have felt safe if we had a smaller group. Obviously this isn't the hotels fault but worth noting if you are debating walking or taking the people mover.

My only complaint is some of the service from the staff. When we arrived we were told the valet parking was only $15. When we ordered up the car the next day, it took a very long time to get it back. The valet attendant told us it was $20 now instead of $15. Needless to say, I paid and tipped well. We paid the valet person before we got our car back which seemed backwards. We were waiting for almost 20 minutes and noticed our car was sitting out front with the doors open and unlocked. I couldn't find a valet attendant anywhere and ended up getting in the car, grabbing my keys out of my pocket, and taking off. Here was the problem. The valet attendant had my wife's set of keys and we didn't realize this until we were 45 minutes away. Nobody approached us when the vehicle was delivered nor gave us the other set of keys back. I called and asked them to mail the keys and they asked for method of payment. Needless to say I was angry, turned around and drove back to Detroit. When I returned to pick up the keys the manager gave me a twenty for gas which was appreciated and nice, but none of it should've happened in the first place.

It's hard to want to go back here when all I've had from other downtown hotels were great experiences.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators.
1 Thank mattheweilers
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights recently with our adult disabled son to attend a Tigers game and the accessible room was huge ... no worries about getting through doorways or running into furniture. We especially liked that there were 2 queen size beds in the room instead of the one bed you find in a lot of accessible rooms. The bathroom was very large also although it had a tub rather than a roll-in shower.All the staff we interacted with were very friendly and helpful. Never had to wait long for the valet to bring our vehicle. Room was clean with plenty of towels and the beds were comfortable. Also liked the 12:00 check-out time. Lots of security around too. The hotel is within walking distance of many restaurants as well as having a People Mover station in the building (but you have to use a separate elevator) and even Comerica Park is walkable. Downtown Detroit at night is fairly deserted but not scary. There are a lot of panhandlers but they're very polite and creative!

Room Tip: We were on the 9th floor so didn't have much of a view. Probably rooms on a higher floor would h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here on are last night in Michigan. Chose hotel based on the people mover being right in the hotel as well as the location to the "safer" part of Detroit. Security roamed the halls and at night you had to show a keycard to security to access the elevators. The gym facility is amazing and had tons of equipment and space. Also had a great view of Canada from the 8th floor deck.

Parking was a hassle and took about 20 min to get out from Valet, little slow in my opinion. The rooms are spacious and can accomadate 6-8 people in them if you want to gather in one room before going out.

1 Thank Mitchell B
Gaylord, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here while we were in town for a Tigers game on 9/1. We had a room with a king bed and a pull out couch. We never ended up pulling out the couch, so I can't speak to the quality of the bed. The couch itself was a little worn, but clean- this pretty much summarizes the room in a whole. We did have an issue with the air conditioner & they sent a maintence worker up to fix it and he brought a fan for us while it was being worked on.

The hotel was very quiet and felt secure. After normal hours the hotel was acessable by key card & had a security man checking cards before you got onto the elevator.

When we came back from the game at 11pm, a manager met us at the door with a big smile and welcomed us back and informed us that the bar and restaurant was open until midnight if we wanted snacks or drinks. It was a really nice touch.

We also liked the close proximity to the people mover and used it to catch dinner in greektown and go to the game. We also used the pool (clean and well maintained) and tried breakfast (buffet and not included with the room)