“Better than I expected”

Rivertown Inn & Suites Downtown Detroit
Ranked #24 of 34 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed May 13, 2009

I was very hesitant to stay at this hotel, mainly because of the older reviews detailing "illegal activity" and the fact that it's a bit off the beaten path (which can be a very bad thing in downtown Detroit). However, I experienced none of the problems that other reviewers mentioned. The staff is very friendly, the building is secure, and I never felt unsafe. The location is decent - a 10-minute walk to Greektown, and a slightly shorter walk to the People Mover. The decor is very tired, but the rooms are clean enough and well kept. A decent place to crash after a night out, and you'll almost certainly save money over the other downtown hotels. The restaurant serves a good cheap breakfast too!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 6, 2008

Friend booked this motel for one of our football trips and after finding some reviews, was a little nervous until we pulled into the parking lot. Great little place for four football fans. Lobby was clean and upgraded. We dealt with two different girls working the front desk who were polite, courteous and helpful the whole weekend. They gave us Suite A which had two double beds, pullout double sofa and single pullout sofa. Room was clean with a nice bathroom, plenty of towels, extra vanity and sink, refrigerator, coffee maker and cable tv. Had three large windows in the room, one that looked out over the water into Canada. Talking with the locals and other people, Detroit has really cleaned up its act in the last two years. Motel is ideally located at Jefferson and 375. Neighborhood was clean, we walk around at night with no problems. Fifteen minute walk to the Casino, bars and nightlife. In the morning we had breakfast at the onsite Clique Restaurant. Fanatastic and very reasonable food that is patonized by a large amount of locals. Go eat early. It will fill up. After we checked out, they allowed us to pull our vehicle around to the front office to park for free while we went to Ford Field . . . only a 23 minute walk. We are already looking forward to the next time. Again, a great little family run motel. Give it a try.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Trav_LN_now
Shorecrestmi, Management at Rivertown Inn & Suites Downtown Detroit, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2009

The Shorecrest Motor Inn wanted to take a moment in writing to thank you for your kind words about our establishment. We put in a great amount of effort to take care of our guests and their needs. We look forward to being your hosts again in the near future and are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed March 11, 2007

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights (2-5 March). We were stopped over in Detroit enroute to Mexico from the UK.

As to the hotel itself -- it was reasonable value for money. The reception staff were helpful when asked questions but not particularly friendly. They advertise as being a family owned/run hotel.

We stayed in room 19. An electrical socket was missing from one wall which meant cigarette smoke and noise was coming through from the next room. We blocked this with a towel, though the walls were thin and we could still clearly make out conversations from the next room. We had earplugs from the flight and this helped, but even with those could still hear the people in the next room which resulted in an interrupted sleep.

Soap, coffee, TV with various cable channels and a fridge were provided in the room. The bathroom and shower were both acceptable.

Breakfast wasn't provided but the restaurant next to the hotel (open 7am-3pm) offered a very tasty breakfast for about $6. They were very friendly too.

Before booking this hotel I had read in a previous review on tripadvisor that mentioned there was a prostitution issue at this hotel. We booked regardless as we thought we could cope with that as long as we were able to sleep.

We were woken every night (we stayed 3 nights) by incidents related to this prostitution issue.

Upon arrival we checked in and after leaving the reception area a man came up to me and asked if I'd like a lady for the night and pointed to a car in the carpark with 3 women in it. This man was also staying at the Shorecrest.

The tripadvisor review restriction "we will not post reports of violent criminal activity" prevents me from detailing two separate incidents that occurred whilst we stayed here. These were very disturbing.

I would have to say this was the most unpleasant stay we've ever had in any hotel. On our last night the police had to attend an incident in the carpark involving two guests and were still there when we got a taxi to the airport. We both vowed never to return.

Whilst the Shorecrest owners were not responsible for these incidents, they have some control over this by choosing who stays at their hotel. Given what happened when we stayed there and that other tripadvisor members have mentioned the issue with prositution, I cannot believe they are not aware of it.

If they could clear up this issue then the hotel would be good value for money and I'd recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
11  Thank patrick0
Reviewed February 26, 2007

I am a budget minded traveler and dont like to over spend for my hotels, since i dont spend much time in the room, so take my review in that context.
i stayed there in october 2006, for the running of the detriot marathon.
The motel is on the edge of downtown. I felt safe walking to downtown and did not encounter any unusual vagrants or shady characters. Not the prettiest of locations, but not too ugly, as other parts of the city can be.
Easy walk to downtown, Greektown casino, etc...
The staff was very friendly, even offered to come to my room to help set up a baby crib and offered extra linens without me asking.
Restaraunt is awesome. Great food, large portions, and cheap. A true find.
teh rooms show their age some and are pretty simple, but were clean and bed was comfortable.
I did not experience any of the problems with noise at the hotel as other posts had mentioned, although with the large glass windows, you can hear people outside talking and walking up/down the stairs.
all-in-all a good value

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank marieatta_pman
Springfield, IL
Reviewed August 23, 2005

Before I chose a hotel for my working vacation to Detroit, I decided to look at the reviews for the Shorecrest Inn. They were fair to good and the price was great, so I made reservations. Now that I'm back, I need to tell you that it may not look so great on the outside, but it has EVERYTHING you need on the inside. Each room has a refrigerator and little freezer, 3 free movie channels, shower caps, coffee pot, couch, coffee table and all of the other incidentals. It was clean too. Downstairs is a great breakfast and lunch restaurant that provides room service. (Grilled chicken breast and 3 eggs with cheeze was $7.00)! And the best thing was... that it was 4 blocks from the River Festival and 8 from the Cobo Center (where my conference was). I walked everywhere. When I wanted to find a good church for that Sunday, the maid staff gave me perfect directions. And checked her facts 3 times to make sure I didn't get lost. The church was outstanding! Lastly, when I got back to Illinois I realized that I had left my huge Atlas in the room. I called at midnight and they said it had been turned in and would be mailed back to my home free of charge. And it was! Can't beat that for service. If I return to Detroit, I'll save my money on brandnames and return to the Shorecrest.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed August 10, 2004

I am a former Detroiter who was back there visiting, and had read some good things about this Motel, so gave it a try (despite some warnings from locals) due to excellent location. These warnings were to the effect that the place had a specific bi/straight prostitution problem. This didn't bother me too much as I figured most hotels have some degree of this, and that if subtle, is expected in a big city, not a particular problem.

Found the Motel to be clean, efficient and comfortable, however, the prostitution problems became apparent on about my 3rd night with a colorful and noisy parade of hookers, pimps, and assorted bad news. The girls (or female impersonators) paraded like a march out of a room returning sporadically in cars blaring rap music (setting off every car alarm in the lot), with money changing hands for what appeared to be drugs as well as services rendered. The crowd was rowdy and tough, obviously adding real danger due to probable gang affiliations.

In fairness to management, they did resolve the problem in about 3 hours. Unfortunately though, their attitude was "denial" claiming they don't have this problem, and that I mistook a "party" for prostitution. This was particularly galling and insulting to one who grew up around that kind of thing and have stayed/lived in many urban areas such as New Orleans, Los Angeles, etc. It is an absolute no-brainer, and it was surprising they would try to con a guest. So, I checked out the following morning, as I had two kids with me.

If you are a male solo traveler who doesn't mind noise, this place is recommended for location, service and generally good management, and of course the excellent Clique restaurant which is one of the best breakfast places around. Sensitive persons or those with families should avoid this motel and the general area completely and unfortunately forsake the excellent central location and find a place in the sterile suburbs. Even in its current state, I love Downtown Detroit, Belle Isle, Greektown, etc. and regret the crime problems that have plagued hotels up and down East Jefferson.

• Stayed: July 2004
35  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2002

Although it's nothing to write home about, the Shorecrest is cheap, clean with very friendly staff and is close to everything downtown.

The single room I stayed in was on the small side, but I wasn't fussed as I only used it to sleep and shower.

Probably the best thing about the Shorecrest is the Clique Diner at the front of the hotel. This has to be the best diner in Detroit. Great food, great service. Can be hard to get in sometimes as it's a favourite for all the locals!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member