“I need air”

Rivertown Inn & Suites Downtown Detroit
Ranked #24 of 33 Hotels in Detroit
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I was going to give only two stars, but considering this place appears to be a dorm room for random poor people, it's not too bad. The staff was very nice. There was a free continental breakfast (which we all know means OJ and a roll, but still). The room didn't seem horribly dirty, and came with wifi and HBO. However, there is NO air circulation! It's summer and I at least need a fan. There's no AC, no fan, no nothing. For this reason alone, I'd never stay here again.

Also, I know housekeeping has to do their job, but I hate being woken up 2 hours before checkout by someone vacuuming the room next to me.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Neil1024

Reviewed June 1, 2013

A decent deal for the price, especially if you are looking for a place to stay during a convention.
During Youmacon 2011 the staff appeared extremely unprepared for the high volume of customers but were polite during the entire ordeal. I could hear the women at the desk's radio constantly blaring reports from the cleaning staff, so the communication between staff members was really reassuring!
I wasn't expecting much for the price, and I sure wasn't disappointed. There was a roof over our head, a bathroom with shower (very small and dark, but not dirty), a small coat rack with a shelf above it, and plenty of space for con-goers to crash. The tv was out-dated but honestly I never used it. There was a mini-fridge that was not plugged in or it didn't work but we never used that either. Also the reclining chair was broken.
There was a slight smell, of cigarette smoke, but I've smelt much worse in more expensive of places.
There were no problems or issues and the stay was pleasent.
For youmacon 2012 the staff seemed more prepared for the event. They were kind to me and my fellow oddly-dressed con-goers and even allowed early check-in!
The room was in somewhat better shape than the year previous. It didn't smell at all and wasn't dirty. The mini fridge worked this time and the tv was still outdated, but once again we didn't really use the tv so that wasn't a huge deal.
Both years there was free parking at the hotel and because of the large amount of guests and local activity (in the city) we had no problems walking to and from the con location (it's not a terrible walk in the least, don't waste your money parking your car in a lot closer to the Ren-Cen).
If you are looking for a place to stay for Youmacon and can't stay on con location I would totally recommend this motel! It's a great price, the staff is nice, and it's within walking distance from the con.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Emma K
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The Shore rest is a nice little motor inn, worth the price, clean, friendly and more than willing to go the extra mile for its regulars. If you need a room for a night or an inexpensive weekend, after a game or a bar night, I would definitely recommend this little family owned establishment.
Laura Daley

Room Tip: West side, is better wifi
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura D
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Ok, we got here and there is no microwave in the room, you have to share a community microwave in the lobby. THEN, the bed is extra hard and hurts your hips while you sleep, the walls are SO think we both got woken up at 5:18am by the room next door's loud radio which they left on ALL day until night. The TV is an old 1990's tv that hardly has a picture and it keeps changing colors, the vending soda machine just says 1.25 for a soda and so I bought one and it was a CAN and no where did it say that or else I would NOT have wasted my money. The sheets have PATCHES on them too. The room is so hot and I called to check where the air was and was told that this side of the motel did not even HAVE air, to OPEN my DOOR to let some cold air in. WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank crystaldtadlock
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I payed 78.00 for my room and it was considered a upgrade since when I checked in they had no "regular rooms" available. I was not impressed. The lady at the front desk stated that there was a flat screen tv in the room and she made the room sound way better than it was. The decor is old, The tv was small and cheap, everything needs to be updated badly. The windows would not open and this was irritating as I would of loved to air out the room of the "smell" it had. The restaurant at the hotel was good, and the breakfast they had in the lobby was not anything special.I have had better rooms for $78.00 a night. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room right above the office. I was told it was one of their more expensive rooms. No...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 585HeatherM585
Reviewed November 1, 2012

My friends and I drove from Wichita, Kansas & Kansas City, MO to Detroit for the Insane Clown Posse Hallowicked concert 10-31-12. We arrived in The Motor City at approximately 4:30 a.m. We stopped at McDonald's off of Woodward Avenue by The Majestic. We then called several hotels & motels. We went by one hotel & just pulling into the parking lot made us feel like we were about to be robbed. Then, they didn't have any hot water or television other than basic local channels. Needless to say, we got back into the car & left with a quickness. We asked a local convenient store about where to stay, he mentioned the Holiday Inn for around $90+ a night, or go to Jefferson & there's a string of hotels & motels more modestly set price wise. We then went to The Shorecrest Motor Inn. We got a very reasonable room rate, they let us check in at 6 a.m. & stay until 10 a.m. the next day, giving us a total of 28 hours, even though that isn't their normal policy, & they allowed 3 of us to stay in one room for the low 2 person rate at a single night, not 2 nights! We had the continental breakfast, which was pretty good. Bagels, muffins, danish donuts, bread, orange juice, & coffee. We left for about 4 hours & upon returning, nothing in our room was touched. We felt safe & secure there. The neighborhood isn't bad & you're close to downtown Detroit, Canada, & highways to get to out skirt cities quickly. I loved the hotel Staff from check-in to check-out. Not a single complaint. In fact, I can't brag enough abpout my stay! I hope to return to Detroit again before long, not like the 11 years it took me to get back there this time. Every trip I make to Detroit in the future, no matter how long the stay, 30 hours like this trip or 7 days like my last one, I believe I have found my home away from home! If you enjoy several amenities, including free wifi, decent selection of television channels, great continental breakfasts, genuinely nice staff from check-in to check-out, including housekeeping & 3rd shift check-in associates, and an overall satisfied experience for a decent price that won't kill your trip budget & keep you in Downtown Detroit near everything great about the city, I suggest you try The Shorecrest Motor Inn! It was a wonderful experience for me & it was the seam that kept this trip, though very short, very joyful & comfortably fit. I still wish I was there! I hope this has helped you in your decision making! Sincerely ~ Jonathan Clark, Kansas City 11-2-12 @ 1:05 a.m. CST

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank skeletortheclown
Reviewed October 28, 2012

This is a true 2 star motel. It is perfect for what we needed. A place to sleep so we did not have to drive home. Easy to walk to everything. The rooms are clean but the furnishings are old, who cares. The TV worked fine but again it is old. Do not expect more than what you are paying for. It is totally worth 55.00 dollors a night.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends