“Really grand casino for Detroit”

MGM Grand Detroit Casino
Book In Advance
More Info
$27.00*
and up
Detroits Rise Fall and Renewal
Ranked #37 of 150 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Owner description: The ironic setting for the MGM Grand (a former IRS building) is only temporary; a permanent casino is to be built along the riverfront.
Reviewed June 30, 2014

I was surprised to see such a large multilevel casino in Detroit. I'm not a real gambler but it seems to have everything you can expect for a fun tourist casino visit.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Whenever I come to Detroit this is a must stop on my list. It is a very beautiful Casino inside & out. I love the table games here and the food is excellent!

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We stopped in one night after the baseball game and only stayed about three hours. But I must say I was very impressed with the little I saw. The casino is very clean and the staff is regularly seen keeping it that way. The M Life Players Club desk personnel were very nice and quick. The casino is quite large, much larger than I expected, and it seems to have an endless supply of slot machines of great variety. We had no problem finding ones we enjoyed, and oddly enough in most cases the slots seemed loose enough to at at least keep me playing for awhile. They also have a small 'smoke-free' room that has some slots in it for those who don't like the smoke. My only complaint was the shortage of drink attendants. I saw one in my entire three hours there. I would have liked to seen more. They also have very adequate free parking available. But overall, we really liked this casino. It felt safe, clean, and fun, which is what we like in our casino activities!

Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

As a native of metro Detroit I have visited all 3 of the casinos (motor city & greektown being the other 2) and by far the MGM is the cleanest, biggest and has the most variety of games from classics to new.

New slots take a bit of time to be rotated in (so if you're looking for the newest slot you played at another casino, you might not find it yet at MGM for atleast 5-7 months).

Another thing negative would be how some patrons will hog up multiple slots at once, tip a chair up for someone to return to that slot minutes or hour's later. And another trick patrons use is they decide to play one slot, while leaving a small amount of money in the slot next to them but not play it but the tactict here is "blocking " it from you to play.
I've become numb to this irritants since it seems inner city casinos have patrons do this, so it feels to be a sad "reality " on your gaming experience.

If you are not a fan of rap or club music thumping bass kicks,I highly suggest you dodge the bars since the music is beyond loud on a Friday or Saturday night. The locals flock to it like nomads and at some points block the main aisles to get into it or ratchet jawing in front of the bars entrance making one have to loop around that area which is extremely poor and sad if you have to use the facilities & have to find a further bathroom clear across the casino.

The best time is the wee hour's of the morning if you want quietness and better odds of playing your favorite slots. The food is pricey but if you're a cardholder you can get food with your points (but not the beer in the dining area or in general) and the food portions are quite large, so be prepared to get a to-go box.

Overall from the last 7-8 year's of going here but never making it past the sapphire level card, the experience here is good. Some day's the slots pay well but most recently have become as tight as a rusted bolt.

2  Thank shroom_of_doom
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I went to the Casino with a few friends just for a fun day. It was very nice not too crowded and all the employees were very helpful and accomodating. I had a great deal of fun at the slots and walked away with nearley as much as I came with. The food was good and all in all it was a very nice day. I would go back again!