“Big Taste, Big Service, Small Plates that are Sharing-Friendly”
Review of Small Plates - CLOSED

Small Plates
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: John R
Transit: Just a short walk to the Broadway people mover station
Reviewed October 22, 2018

I have lived in downtown Detroit for the past 18 months. I can walk to all of the downtown restaurants, and I have tried over 40 at this point. The Detroit Food scene is incredible, and rivals any other city in the world. When you consider the price of most meals I have had, I would say from a value standpoint, Detroit is near the top of the charts.

Restaurants are hard to compare because it depends on the mood, event, company you are keeping, etc. However, I have come to find that my favorite restaurants are the ones where I get;
- Consistent good quality and service
- Great food choices with a menu that continues to be updated
- A good staff with energy and smiles
- Relatively reasonable prices for the food being presented

I am now to the point that I go to Small Plates at least once a week for all of the reasons listed above. The food is fantastic. I have yet to have something on the menu that I didn't like. As the name indicates, the food is served on small plates, and the portions are small. At the same time, I can get out of Small Plates at the same costs as I can get out of far worse restaurants, yet be full, happy, and have had several great tastes vs. one main dish.

Small Plates food is meant to be shared. Most sandwiches come out in twos or threes. Most dishes come out with several of something. Even the salads / vegetables are healthy servings to be shared.

My go-to is the fried-green tomato BLTs. They just added corned-beef sliders that are incredible. The cheese plate is large and very good quality, while the fish tacos are insanely good. The only food on the menu I don't order anymore is the Lobster Mac N Cheese. Not enough lobster, not enough lobster taste, and the cheese that is used tastes a little processed. Otherwise, I am not kidding when I say I have tried everything else on the menu, and I am completely happy and satisfied.

The bartenders are great, and they serve "Our Detroit" Vodka. This Vodka (made in Cork City) is insanely good. I highly recommend trying this Vodka. You will be very pleased.

Two words of caution - watch the Detroit Opera House showtimes. If a show is on, this place is PACKED prior to the show. Second thing is that if it is full, DO NOT go next door to the Detroit Beer Company. The place is terrible, with horrible food and mediocre beer.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank David B

Reviewed October 13, 2018

We had a large group and the staff did a good job setting our reservaton up in the front with a nice window on the street. Food was very good.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Loved this restaurant! Two popular brew pubs were packed with lengthy wait times before the Tigers game. This place is right next door to one of them and had no wait so we decided to try it out. So glad we did! They have an excellent menu with a lot of options at reasonable prices. Order all different things and share! The chicken and waffles was amazing! Service was a bit slow and the drinks also appear to come in small glasses, but still a great place! Check it out before a game downtown!

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

We had the beef sliders which were tender and juicy. The bun was a little chewy and added to the overall awesomeness of these little burgers. We also had the lobster Mac and cheese which was so flavorful. The cheese sauce was perfectly seasoned and the lobster was cooked to perfection. The banana bread pudding was out of this world tasty, it is soft and the banana is not too overpowering. I was not a huge fan of the calamari, did not feel it was flavorful enough and do not prefer that cut of calamari. Would go back and try more dishes. Enjoy!

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Not knowing much about Detroit, we found this via Trip Advisor and I’m glad that we did. Not an extensive menu, but a delicious one! Small plate items big enough to share so that you can sample. The staff is very friendly and the location is very quaint.