“Great food!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: John R
Transit: Just a short walk to the Broadway people mover station
Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

Loved this restaurant! Two popular brew pubs were packed with lengthy wait times before the Tigers game. This place is right next door to one of them and had no wait so we decided to try it out. So glad we did! They have an excellent menu with a lot of options at reasonable prices. Order all different things and share! The chicken and waffles was amazing! Service was a bit slow and the drinks also appear to come in small glasses, but still a great place! Check it out before a game downtown!

Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

We had the beef sliders which were tender and juicy. The bun was a little chewy and added to the overall awesomeness of these little burgers. We also had the lobster Mac and cheese which was so flavorful. The cheese sauce was perfectly seasoned and the lobster was cooked to perfection. The banana bread pudding was out of this world tasty, it is soft and the banana is not too overpowering. I was not a huge fan of the calamari, did not feel it was flavorful enough and do not prefer that cut of calamari. Would go back and try more dishes. Enjoy!

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

Not knowing much about Detroit, we found this via Trip Advisor and I’m glad that we did. Not an extensive menu, but a delicious one! Small plate items big enough to share so that you can sample. The staff is very friendly and the location is very quaint.

Reviewed September 10, 2018

No one takes reservations on a night when there is a concert and a ball game. There was a long line but my husband and I like to sit at the bar once in a while so we opted for that. They appeared to clear the line pretty quickly. He had the crab cakes and fires and I had the shrimp and grits. We swapped some of each. both entries were delicious. Service was friendly but prompt. Made it out in plenty of time to walk to Ford Field.

Reviewed September 9, 2018

This was one of the worst restaurant experiences I have ever had. Last night, I attended a bachelorette party and we chose this restaurant based on it's internet reviews. We were greeted by an extremely rude server, who told us that the kitchen had ran out of half of the items on their menu. Our group of six placed our orders with the server and three plates came out, while the rest of the plates came out 30 minutes later. Our drinks were all empty and never refilled. I ordered a dish that four other girls in my group had ordered. When I asked where my meal was, the server came out to tell me after everyone had received their food that they had ran out of that particular dish. At this point I asked to speak to a manager, 20 minutes later a manager finally came over to the table. I explained the situation to the manager how unhappy I was with the service and experience, she was very unapologetic and rude, explaining in a very patronizing manor, this is a busy restaurant and they can run out of food. After the rest of our party explained their frustration, the manager finally agreed to comp my drink and the bride's meal. The rest of the party paid their bills while the bride and I sat around for 30 minutes waiting for our bills to be disputed amongst the manager and the server. When we asked if everything was all set with our bills the manager rudely said "what are you waiting for, you can leave."

Long story short, I have never felt so unwelcome at a restaurant. It was very unfortunate that we chose this place to celebrate such a special night for my friend. I would not recommend Small Plates Detroit to any of my family or friends.

1  Thank Lena M