“Much Better Since Renovation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Detroit Historical Museum
Ranked #11 of 140 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Motor City Exhibition, where visitors see how a Cadillac is assembled, is just one of the many interesting displays at this museum dedicated to telling the story of Detroit.
Westland, Michigan
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Much Better Since Renovation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

If you haven't been to the Detroit Historical Museum since its recent 2013 facelift, it looks much better. It is much brighter, more colorful, and more interactive. Thankfully, they left the bottom floor streets of Detroit exhibit as well as the large train layout alone so if you liked them from before, you will be happy to know they are each still there.

I went during Noel Night in downtown Detroit and it was not only free admission but fully staffed so you get the full experience. It is in the Museum district within walking distance of the Detroit Institute of Art and Charles Wright so you can make a day of Museums and only park once.

1 Thank jkoz148

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Atlanta
284 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 255 helpful votes
“R-E-S-P-E-C-T for the Motor City and it's History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I was in Detroit for vacation and one of my stops was the Detroit History Museum. While the entry fee was free, I still gave a $5 donation and it was well worth it. Part of the museum consists of the streets of old Detroit, before the 20th century. The museum covers everything from Detroit's founding till present day. My favorite exhibits included America's Motor City (I'm a big car nut), the role Detroit played as the Arsenal of Democracy during WW2 and The Kid Rock Music Lab, a look at one of the countries richest music scenes. Everything from the Motown Sound to The MC5 to Bob Seger to Eminem and the White Stripes. And if you're looking for an interesting Detroit souvenir, the museum has a nice gift shop.

This museum is a great place to discover the important role Detroit has played in our history and it's close to many other outstanding attractions.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank StockholmKindaGuy
Royal Oak, Michigan
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 121 helpful votes
“Wonderful visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

My husband and I visited over holiday break. I had forgotten was a great place it was to visit. Admission is free - but a donation is requested.
The gift shop sells snacks and beverages. (No additional food/beverage service is available.)
There is a parking lot just behind/to the side of the building. It cost $5. We visited on a Sunday and utlized the street parking around the building. (Street parking is free on Sundays,)
I recommend looking reviewing the lay-out of the exhibits before you start. We didn't and found ourselves traveling back and forth in time as we walked around. (i.e. started in the late 1800, moved to the mid 1900 and then back to the 1700s.)
It took us about 2 hours to see everything - but I could have spent more time, if I had the opportunity.

2 Thank signinsareapain
Troy, Michigan
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Great museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

As a lifelong Detroiter I've always loved this museum. The streets of old Detroit in the basement is always a favorite. The exhibit about Detroit music is excellent. Many of the other exhibits are great too. Be aware that there is no food offered here but there are many good restaurants in the midtown area.

1 Thank msu_mom
Chicago, Illinois
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Entertaining Museum--and Worth an Admission (even tho' it's free!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our party of 4 adults and 5 teens spent an enjoyable couple of hours exploring this interesting museum. It was much more interesting and informative than our hometown Chicago History Museum--and it's free! (But we did make a donation to support the museum). We particularly enjoyed the Streets of Old Detroit, the Pewabic pottery room, the history of Detroit told through time lines and video clips, and the video clips of automobile advertising. Great gift shop. Definitely worth a visit.

1 Thank Kim S