“Interesting exhibits and a nice way to spend a few hours.”

Detroit Historical Museum
Ranked #7 of 151 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Motor City Exhibition, where visitors see how a Cadillac is assembled, is just one of the many interesting displays at this museum dedicated to telling the story of Detroit.
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We grew up in Detroit but hadn't been here in years since we now live out of state. With the renovation recently completed it was time for a visit!

If the word 'museum' turns you off because you think it will be boring, have no fear! The Detroit Historical Museum is an interesting look back at Detroit and some of it's roots. There are many exhibits that go into more depth if you press various buttons. They will show short videos and explain more than the placard in front of the different items.

The first level includes a Motor City exhibit that also includes a short auto assembly line including a car drop, an exhibit of the people and places that shaped Detroit, and the Kid Rock Music Lab with a history of Detroit music. The second level includes displays on Detroit's place in WWII and the Underground Railroad. The basement has the Old Streets of Detroit, still my favorite part of the museum! Make sure you look down at how the 'street' changes as you go thru the various eras! There's also a model train area the adults as well as kids will enjoy watching. There's a camera on the front car of one of the trains, so you can watch to see yourself on the screen if you can figure out which train!

It was an enjoyable visit and we'll be back when we're in town again and have some spare time!

1  Thank SZA-LCA

Reviewed May 23, 2013

What a great museum! You don't have to be a history buff to enjoy. I think overall this is a very modern presentation of history. The renovation has only added to the greatness. I just went with my 3 and 4 year old and we had a great time. We loved the Old Streets of Detroit. Very kid friendly. This is a great area if mom/dad need a little break. The old school house is also a play area. My kids liked to do the laundry and there is a coloring area, plus tinker toys. Another gem is the train set. My kids liked discovering what all the buttons were for: they could control individual parts or the lights. The history of Detroit on the main floor (to the left of the gift shop) is really nice and very informative. By going with my kids, I had to go through a little quicker than I would have liked, but still able to get something out of it. Very interactive displays. The information is set up so you can get the perspective of the individual people from history. I really enjoyed the Kid Rock/ Detroit Music area. This was my first time here and I think this is nice, especially for the nonhistory person. The hightlight for my four year old son was "making" a car. He really enjoyed pressing the big green button and watching the "car drop" on the assembly line. And my three year old daughter's favorite was "driving" the Model T.. I literally had to pull her away. A great way to spend and afternoon with my kids. A must see for all Michigan residents and visitors.

1  Thank hollyb905
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A wonderful morning spent wandering through the history of Detroit. Nice exhibits including Kid Rock Music Lab (might have been my favorite), the streets of old Detroit, a short auto assembly line and an area about the underground railroad. Saw many school groups while we were there and they seemed to enjoy the museum as well. Don't miss the legends display outside. By the way, admission was free!!

1  Thank BayCitySue
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A great place to come to now and then, because they swap out some exhibits every now and then. The assembly line is really cool, with a car body drop demonstration. The Kid Rock Music Lab is somewhat disappointing, it didn't have much history about Motown music. Admission is free for Wayne County residents, too. The gem of the museum is hands-down the Streets of Detroit. Through the decades, you see how the streets have changed. Kresege, Sander's, etc. The trains are a must-see, too. There is a circle-shaped room with Detroit history through the decades. I liked that a lot. The gift shop is a great place to buy Detroit stuff too. There is a lot to see here, more than I mentioned. Please take time to come here and appreciate the history of Detroit. The museum is kept up really nicely.

1  Thank Hotelman325
Reviewed March 17, 2013

New exhibits and "decor" but the Detroit Streets display in the basement got only spuced up but remained the same - GOOD !. that is a great display !.

1  Thank jaunty5