“Remodeled and Fantastic” 5 of 5 bubbles

Detroit Historical Museum
Ranked #10 of 140 things to do in Detroit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Motor City Exhibition, where visitors see how a Cadillac is assembled, is just one of the many interesting displays at this museum dedicated to telling the story of Detroit.
Ann Arbor, MI
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Remodeled and Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I grew up in Detroit and have always enjoyed the museum in a faded nostalgic kind of way. But now it's truly fantastic. We went with two teen exchange students who found it fascinating, especially after reading about Detroit and the U.S. in their American History class. I found the exhibits bright and interesting, especially the new ones on the first floor. Videos in the time line room (from 1900-2000, 20 years at a time) complement the displays nicely.

We had to leave after 1 1/2 hours, having seen half the displays.

The Detroit Institute of Arts is kiddy-corner, and other museums are within a few blocks.

Visited February 2013

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Harrison Township, Michigan, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“History at it's best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

The Historical Museum has had a face lift and it is fantastic! What a wonderful way to soak in all the history of Motown and Motor City. You have to go!

Visited December 2012
Grosse Pointe, MI
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Bawitdaba”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

The updated museum is definitely worth a visit for anyone interested in the history/culture of Detroit/MI/ or even the Great Lakes Area. There is a nice mixture of exhibits to cater to different interest levels. Additions like Kid Rock's "recording studio" were worth a look. If you take your time and read exhibits, you'll spend several hours at the DHM. The basement is the highlight for me. The old time cobblestone street and shops were not changed in the update thankfully.

Admission right now is free, but you'll pay for parking in the rear lot ($5). I brought a 2, 3, 6 and 12 year old to the DHM. The 2,3, and 6 year old only really liked the basement exhibits (old time shops/streets). The 12 year old was able to read more on the two upper floors and got more out of the trip.

There are good restaurants around the DHM (plus the Detroit Institute of Arts across the street) as there was no food option at the DHM.

Visited January 2013
Wellsville, MIssouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Absolutely loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were kind of unsure about going here, we aren't really history people, but he is really into cars and anything relating to cars. I'm glad we did. It's free, except parking, but you can park out front and not pay the $5. They have a variety of things. From a replica of the production line (which my husband said he liked more than the one and th Ford Museum) to a Kid Rock Hall of Fame, to the basement which the turned into the old streets of Detroit. I absolutely loved this. It was probably my favorite thing we did while vacationin to the Detroit area. We are planning on returning to Detroit in a year or so, and we will be coming back to this place to see it all again.

2 Thank Rachel W
Bingham Farms, Michigan
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Hurray for the renovation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I just went to see the Museum which just opened after an extensive renovation. They have done an outstanding job. I enjoyed all three levels but my favorite area was the rotunda area with all of the Detroit memorabilia.

Visited December 2012