“Housekeeper needed”

Andiamo - Riverfront
Reserve with OpenTable
Andiamo - Riverfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 1,122 Restaurants in Detroit
Cross street: Jefferson & Atwater
Port Huron, Michigan
“Housekeeper needed”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

For Valentine's Day my wife and I got reservations at Andiamo- Riverfront prior to seeing a play. First of all, avoid our mistake being unfamiliar with the area: drive past the parking garage and approach the restaurant from the river- use the valet parking at the door and you'll save yourself about 10 minutes walking from the parking garage each way.

I ordered the Petto di Pollo alla Valdostana- a lightly breaded chicken breast covered with prosciutto & fontina cheese served on a bed of asparagus and carrots in a garlic white wine sauce. I added artichoke hearts for an additional charge and the chef incorporated them into the dish by putting them on top of the chicken breast. All the food was perfectly cooked and flavored. The presentation was also very well done. The dish came with a side of bowtie pasta with meat sauce which was smartly presented on a smaller dish. This was also very flavorful, but nothing spectacular. I had the house salad which was nicely presented although the house dressing was rather bland in my estimation. The bread was warm and very tasty. It is served with a seasoned olive oil for dipping. I also ordered the Chef's Potato- which turned out to be just mashed potatos. I'm unsure if it is always mashed potatos, or if it's whatever type of potato the chef chooses for the day. The potato was bland and needed seasoning.

My wife ordered the Tortellini alla Panna which I believe was homemade because it had a unique shape compared to tortellini I have had before. My wife rated it a 10 out of 10. She had the same salad and bread that I had, although she was not as critical of the salad dressing as I was.

We each ordered a dessert. I ordered something they called the kit kat, which was a rich chocolate dessert. Good but not great. My wife rated hers as a 6 out of 10.

The service matched the culinary greatness. Our waiter was very attentive and our water glasses were always filled before we asked which is the type of service one should expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

The waterfront view overlooks Caesar's Casino and hotel in Canada. We also had a beautifully well kept salt water fish tank all across the back wall where we were sitting. The fish were all healthy and fascinating as they had a number of different species in the tank.

Now, the downside, which inspired the title of this review. First off, the black padded bench which sits directly in front of the fishtank was visibly dusty. So much so that you could see the difference when you brushed it off by hand. This did not seem like the kind of dust that could accumulate in a day, but rather weeks or maybe even months. All they would have to do to remedy this would be to have someone wipe it down with a wet cloth daily. Why they don't do this is beyond me. The second area that needed addressing was the bathroom sink. It had the kind of grime that only comes from weeks or even months of neglect. I would be surprised to find this kind of filth in a fast food restaurant, let alone a restaurant where you pay $20 or more for your entre! I will say that the table and other areas of the restaurant looked emaculate. So, why these simple areas are not addessed is a mystery.

With all that being said, we enjoyed our visit and may return when we next visit Detroit. The food and service are good enough to overlook those isolated instances of uncleanliness. The uncleanliness was our only reason for rating it a 4 instead of a 5. Bon apetit!

Perrysburg, Ohio
“A very special place - the whole package”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We have been to Andiamo Detroit Riverfront several times and each time we go we have a fantastic experience. The food is delicious and the staff are top notch. Make a reservation and relax and enjoy the entire experience over a bottle of wine. If you are there after 8 p.m. or so on the weekend there is a band playing dinner music. It is fun to go sit at the bar after a Red Wings game, Lions game or Tigers game. The resturant is right on the river and in The Renaissance Center so you can easily go there on the people mover. It is an experience that is special.

1 Thank bakaufman
Birmingham, Alabama
“Good, But for the Price, It Should Have Been Great”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

My sweetheart & I dined at Andiamo Detroit Riverfront on Friday, January 25th. We started with the Frittatine di Granchioalla Andiamo ($17.00) aka Maryland crab cakes, corn relish, sun-dried tomato and remoulade sauce. The crab cakes were delicious, but barely warm. I had the 8 oz filet mignon ($38.00) with the Andiamo Zip Sauce on the side. The filet was served with mashed potatoes and asparagus. The steak was not the best I’ve ever had, but it was quite good, and most importantly cooked just as I had requested. My sweetheart had the Filetto di Basso ($45.00) aka roasted seabass, sweet pea risotto cake, wilted baby spinach and sun-dried tomato butter. Seabass is one of his favorites, and he eats it regularly. He thought Andiamo’s was just okay. Both entrees were served with salad or cup of soup, a small plate of pasta and an assortment of Italian breads. I really liked having an assortment of breads, but it would have been much better, had it been warm. For dessert, I had a puff pastry with ice cream & hot fudge sauce. This should have been delectable, but the hot fudge sauce was neither hot or fudgey. In fact, it barely had a chocolate flavor. My sweetheart had the Tiramisu, one of his favorite desserts, but found Andiamo’s to be disappointing.

The service was good, but we both had trouble understanding our server Aslam. He spoke very fast, and at a low volume. I was having trouble deciding on my entrée, and was considering the Tortellini alla Panna, but was not sure I would like the cream sauce. Aslam, brought me a sample to taste, which I really appreciated. There seemed to me a disconnect with the assistant waiters. An assistant only stopped at our table twice, but seemed to routinely visit other tables to remove dishes and refill beverages.

This is our third year to visit Andiamo’s during the Auto Show. We always enjoy the ambience, food and service, but this year, we were a little disappointed. The food ranged from just okay to good, but for the price, it should have been great!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank OUTCRUISIN2610
Grosse Ile, Michigan
“Top Notch”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Beautiful view and great food. The nice thing about visiting downtown Detroit is the lack of big city traffic. You won't find any here. If you are used to cities such as Chicago or New York, Detroit is a ghost town, especially after hours. The Andiamo's chain is well run and worth the trip. Easy valet parking, beautiful setting, great service and a wonderful menu. Try the Gnocchi Rustica. Very interesting flavor!

• Visited February 2013
“Solid Italian restaurant in the Renaissance Center”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Andiamo generally has excellent food although I've been disappointed by their "health" menu that I find bland tasting. Order from the regular menu and you'll be happy. Service is attentive. Some dining areas have nice river views.

Visited October 2012