“Nice place, bad beer”

Add it.
Patchwork Brewery
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed May 4, 2013

If you homebrew, you will not learn much from this place. The atmosphere was good but the beer was amateur at best. Service was adequate at best.

2  Thank Scudmiss

Reviewed March 24, 2013

I just had some amazing beer and pizza! The beer of my choice is really called amazing and if I named the pizza, it would also be amazing. The guys working made our food and drink choices a breeze. So glad we stopped in. We will be back!! Great pizza!!!!!!

Reviewed November 17, 2012

This handcrafted brewery brews its beer in the basement of an old building. Information about the various brews is on every table, including alcohol content. The staff is friendly and attentive in an informal atmosphere. The menu is mostly appetizers, home-made soups, sandwiches and pizzas which are all made on-site and in view of the patrons.

There is occasional entertainment, mostly on the weekends, that features local musicians and an open-mike night. I've seen many families enjoying the food and atmosphere. In warm weather there is outdoor seeting with a grand view of Decatur's only stop light. For those who don't drink beer, there are delicious soft drinks.

Wheelchair accommodation is very good, although the entrance has a rather steep threshold

Reservations are recommended during the summer months. The brewery closes when the weather gets nasty but re-opens in the spring. It's worth the drive.

Reviewed March 27, 2012

The first thing you need to know is that I live in Decatur, the four corner town where Patchwork resides. We are year round residents, though lots of folks come in from Chicago to summer here. In a town of 1,838 people, our restaurant and nightlife choices are limited. We were thrilled to get another option and even luckier to score a brewery. The second thing you need to know is that my husband has been a brewery hound for most of the fourteen years we have been together. He's pretty snobby about it too, preferring those super dark coffee type beers that all taste the same to me. He has his likes and dislikes and we always have to search out a brewery's when we travel where he proclaims good brews or bad. He loves patchwork and I've had to clear a space in our fridge where a growler permanently resides.

The menu is pretty limited, but offers enough options for our family of four to all eat there if we wanted to. The kids usually get cheese pizza. I'm personally in love with the bruchetta and we always get the pretzels with the mustard butter (I know it sounds weird, but so good. Spicy ground mustard mixed w/ a butter. I've been unable to duplicate at home and believe me I've tried). I've tried the Muffalletta sandwich as take out one night and I was not a fan, but I don't like olives (olive tapenade on it). I think everything is organic and theres a focus on local/michigan made. It's earthy food, not greasy pub food. More like a sandwich shop/organic food store.

It's kid friendly. It is small, but usually not super busy unless its a night where they have a band, then it's a full house. Small enough so that Brooke, the hippie chick mama owner, to talk to you from the kitchen area behind the bar while she's fixing your food. Impeccablly clean. I mean spotless.

For the girlie beer drinkers, I always ask for the lightest beer and I think it's a pale ale that I get. I don't mind it. We brought our friends there one night on date night and my bff likes bud light and she hated it. It's def not light, its got some heft to it, but a wife who's frequented pubs w/ her hubby can probably take it. One night we went and she'd brewed some kind of beer that was Malt Wine or something. It wasn't wine though, it was beer. We all liked that. Even my bud light bff.

Know that if you go in the winter they are only open on Friday's and Saturdays. Hours in the summer are usually extended in the summer and she's talking about putting in a patio. You may see us there!